Kowa 66A Review

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If possible could you check to see if it is magview compatible?

Contacted them directly this morning and all they said was they had trouble with kowa in the past.
I have the magview on that te11 eye piece
ed8f9cd46f08b768cb69696218240058.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Loo.wii

WKR
Can you do a side by side through a phone scope so we can see for our selves the difference between a few different optics.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Can you do a side by side through a phone scope so we can see for our selves the difference between a few different optics.

I can digiscope photos to show distortion and field of view, as I have done before, but digiscoping isn’t a good way to compare other optical qualities like contrast and resolution.

JNDEER

WKR
I Just recieved my 774. Worth the upgrade to fluorite? The 774 is nice, put it next to my buddies STX65 and I think the swaro still has the edge even with the disadvantage of 12mm smaller glass. Debating returning before my 30 days is up from opticsplanet. Thanks

This is the first comment I have ever read stating the stx was better than the 77. Usually you hear a sts is better then an stx.

Your buddy must have a good great piece of glass on the stx

w.travis

FNG
Thanks for this review, I've considered this spotting scope as well as the Meopta Meostar S2 HD. Obviously I'd be thankful to own either!

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Only personal experience I can add so far was the ability to clearly read the road corner sign at 2 miles plus during peak heat waves, 423rd ave clear as I was standing next to it. And being able to measure tine length based on average ear length with 5 min of light left at 1.2 miles away. He was silhouetted on the horizon. But I was still blown away considering when I pulled off the spotter I couldn't even hardly tell what I was looking at in general.

Did have issues with my magview, so I ripped it off the spotter mid hunt and haven't found time to try to figure it out.

Avin

FNG
Using a tripod that a person would be willing to pack in the mountains is there a place for the extender? I already find 60 power to be only useful in great glassing and weather situations...no wind.

ljalberta

WKR
I’m interested in whether you think the extender would provide any use at the range for spotting hits on targets at a greater distance, or if the image isn’t that usable due to darkening or difficulty focussing. I’m thinking a fairly decent weather day with low/no mirage or wind. Those both can certainly affect the usability of any optic.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Using a tripod that a person would be willing to pack in the mountains is there a place for the extender? I already find 60 power to be only useful in great glassing and weather situations...no wind.

I tried it a few times in the field and found useable mountain conditions so rare it wasn’t worth the trouble. Super stable air (like at night) made it much more effective.

Like I mentioned in the article, I think most hunters should stick with the 60x zoom.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I’m interested in whether you think the extender would provide any use at the range for spotting hits on targets at a greater distance, or if the image isn’t that usable due to darkening or difficulty focussing. I’m thinking a fairly decent weather day with low/no mirage or wind. Those both can certainly affect the usability of any optic.

Maybe under rare, ideal conditions.

I would guess Using a remote target viewer like Target Vision would be better if the 60x isn’t enough magnification.

I've been looking at getting one of these spotters but can only afford one at this point in time. Would you choose the 88 over the 66 if that was the case for you? When would a person choose the 88 over the 66. Is it strictly to be able to use on higher power in lower light?