KUIU Merino: Tight or loose?

topher89

WKR
I am thinking about picking up one of KUIU's merino zip-t baselayers. I want to wear it like a sweater over a t-shirt in cool weather hunting. My question is how tight do their layers run? Should I order a medium or go up a size to a large?

Thanks!

Browtine

WKR
I wear a large in cotton Ts and have a Kuiu 145 s/s and l/s zip-t both in large and they fit great. Not tight, but not too baggy either. I can easily layer a couple ts under the zip T if I need to. However, their branded merino shirts (not sure they still sell them) are definitely a fitted cut and very form fitting in a size large.

I dont think anyone can give a very good answer because its a brand new line. The ultra line is all that is available now.

Need a review on this new stuff too. Specially the long johns that zip off , love the concept...anyone?

I love the idea of the zip off bottoms too. I don't think anyone has them yet. I preordered a top and bottom when they came out and have not seen it yet.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
I dont think anyone can give a very good answer because its a brand new line. The ultra line is all that is available now.

Good to know. I am guessing that sizing up to a large may be the best option but I think I will wait around a little for the reviews

wapitibob

WKR
I use 2xl in everything and kuiu thinks I'm joking. Up size. My merino long sleeve T wouldn't work for anything but next to skin.

idig4au

WKR
Do they even have any 100% merino or is it all blended stuff that defeats the anti stink reason for merino ?

My blended 230 series Merino from Kuiu doesn't stink any worse than the original 100% Merino 185 and 250 series from them. It performs night and day better than the synthetics that i wasted money on in terms of stench.

Based on this, I would presume that the ultra series would perform the same or even better in this regard. I think the faster drying time would control odor even better than 100% Merino products. Sounds good on paper, but need to test it in practice.

Please don't Shrek this Kuiu post....your discontent is well known, but you have little to contribute due to lack of experience with Kuiu products.

Regards, idig4au

Do they even have any 100% merino or is it all blended stuff that defeats the anti stink reason for merino ?

Shrek nothing against you but if you have paid attention lately to several posts involving base layers with merino and synthetics blended this is the direction the industry is moving because you get the positives from both and so far there isn't much in the way of negative aspects especially stink. Pro Lite Gear has a few vidoes that were linked recently and they do a much better job of explaining it than I can. Only time will tell but until there is some hard evidence there is no need to say the blend defeats the purpose of merino.

Shrek

WKR
I don't see how adding synthetic fibers known to be excellent hosts for the bacteria that produce the stink will not adversely affect it but it certainly makes it cheaper to produce and if you can charge merino price for it it really adds to the profit margin. Makes me think of ultra suede and pleather. Time will tell and I'll wait for reports from the field before I jump on the wagon with my cash. Besides , if I want blended undies I can get smartwool on closeout sales from STP , just not in cool kid camo.

Browtine

WKR
I don't see how adding synthetic fibers known to be excellent hosts for the bacteria that produce the stink will not adversely affect it

Thanks Shrek for letting us know you think the new 90/10 blend will suck. Very helpful.

I don't see how adding synthetic fibers known to be excellent hosts for the bacteria that produce the stink will not adversely affect it but it certainly makes it cheaper to produce and if you can charge merino price for it it really adds to the profit margin. Makes me think of ultra suede and pleather. Time will tell and I'll wait for reports from the field before I jump on the wagon with my cash. Besides , if I want blended undies I can get smartwool on closeout sales from STP , just not in cool kid camo.

It baffles me how you form opinions based off zero field use an a misunderstanding of the product. When I purchased a 145 last year, which is a blend I wore it for a week straight at my work. At the end of the week the only part of that shirt that smelled was the under arms, and it was not strong. But then again I will hunt in all synthetic as well as cotton again this year. Along with merino. If you understand the wind it's irrelevant what you wear.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought Shrek was just expressing concern for spending money on thus far unproven technology, which is entirely valid until we start receiving reports from the field.