KUIU Merino: Tight or loose?

Any idea how well it holds up to washing.

I love Firstlite gear, especially the light weight stuff, but it just doesn't last very long. I had a pair of long underwear basically fall apart the last time I washed it.

So I'm looking at a base layer (again) for this year and am seriously thinking about KUIU or Russell or something that will last a little longer.

I thought Shrek was just expressing concern for spending money on thus far unproven technology, which is entirely valid until we start receiving reports from the field.

This is a fair comment ^

Do they even have any 100% merino or is it all blended stuff that defeats the anti stink reason for merino ?

... it certainly makes it cheaper to produce and if you can charge merino price for it it really adds to the profit margin.

This is Shrek garbage ^

Browtine

WKR
I thought Shrek was just expressing concern for spending money on thus far unproven technology, which is entirely valid until we start receiving reports from the field.

I might agree with you if he would have left off the "cheaper to produce, charging merino prices and profit margin" zingers. Comes across to me like he's just Kuiu bashing again.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
This isn't specific to Shrek but take what you see on this forum with a grain of salt. I have a hard time learning about Merino blend base layers from a guy from Florida, the same way I wouldn't listen to the Coloradan recommending surf boards.

Real experience with the gear trumps all else. I will listen to someone who wears the KUIU layers for a week straight in Idaho, not someone who wore it for a week in hot, humid Florida.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I know Shrek hates kuiu in an irrational ridiculous way and that makes his opinions on everything chafe a bit but if I'd have said the exact same things I doubt I'd have been chastised as quickly and harshly.

I honestly have no idea if the technology is proven. I have done no research on it. I was just giving my interpretation of his comment.

Who knows Shrek might just be a troll that has never set foot off pavement but it just seemed like everyone was jumping quickly to bash him. Hunting season can't get here soon enough as we're all getting awfully pissy. I posted a thread last night about a kifaru giveaway and all the responses were simply negative and unappreciative because it is a facebook giveaway to the point where it got deleted. Come on people "can't we all just get along" :)

OP
T

topher89

WKR
To get the thread back on track...
I honestly have no idea if the technology is proven. I have done no research on it. I was just giving my interpretation of his comment.

Blended Merino is not really a new technology. Patagonia and other companies use it in their base layers

Here is one example: http://www.backcountry.com/patagoni...zoxOjIyOmJjc0NhdDExMTEwMTMw&skid=PAT3432-BK-S

As far as I can tell from my research, there is no odor or stink problem with blended merino.

Shrek

WKR
I did pose my question in a pejorative manner but then I am prejudiced when it comes to kuiu. The funny part is the hyper defensive attitude of the kuiuteers. They read into a rather mild criticism of adding nylon or poly into that I think the new ultra merino sucks. I think the business practices of kuiu suck but the clothing seems top grade. It does seem to me that "ultra" means lower price point in kuiu parlance though.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP
T

topher89

WKR
I think the business practices of kuiu suck but the clothing seems top grade. It does seem to me that "ultra" means lower price point in kuiu parlance though.

That is a good question. I could see why it might be cheaper to do the blend (less merino wool) but the mechanical process of blending the wool and and poly may be more expensive than straight Merino wool.

This is probably a question only a industry insider could answer. Blending may be cheaper, the same or less expensive, who knows?

OP
T

topher89

WKR
I have never personally worn a Merino blend layer but from what I can tell it is...
1.Softer
2. Less Itchy
3. More durable

Part of why I created this thread was to hear first hand reviews of KUIU's layers. I have always worn straight Merino so I am interested to hear first hand how the blended layers work.

Shrek

WKR
I have always worn straight Merino so I am interested to hear first hand how the blended layers work.

Post up about Smartwool it's been around for a while. If you want to know where kuiu is coming from and is going to then look at greenie mountaineering clothing companies. Kuiu is Microsoft in a mirror. They take big mountaineering company clothing ideas and copy them and add camo and a few hunter friendly features and market them to a niche hunting market. By his own admissions Jason started by copying his mountaineering clothing and fell in with Torey from an introduction by a guy from Patagonia.

I did pose my question in a pejorative manner but then I am prejudiced when it comes to kuiu. The funny part is the hyper defensive attitude of the kuiuteers. They read into a rather mild criticism of adding nylon or poly into that I think the new ultra merino sucks. I think the business practices of kuiu suck but the clothing seems top grade. It does seem to me that "ultra" means lower price point in kuiu parlance though.

Once again you let your prejudice cloud your opinion on a product invented and produced by another Company. Question should really be do you think the CEO of the Merino Company is selling the public a sham.... Not Kuiu.....

I personally do not. I think the data & research published by the Merino company is true. Now, is it going to be revolutionary is still to be determined via feild use . I will say Price Point wise.. Kuiu would appear to be listening to your posts. Price point looks inline with a direct consumer model in my expereince. Cut it in half and thats would be typical MFG to Retailer model, then Retailer would mark it again 40-100% depending on MAP or MFG clost out specials.

Dont be so cynical. By bashing Kuiu's model technically your indirectly bashing those trying to do the same thing... example EXO Mountain gear and kifaru whom use the same model......

Look at EXO Mountian Gear they are expereincing same issues of demand that Kuiu had. In my eyes thats a great thing becuase Hunters are supporting Hunting Only focused ventures in full force. Love my EXO mountain pack, and glad to see the unprecedented growth Speck is expereinceing... its called good problems to have.

I got an Ultra 145 on Monday. I wore for two days and will wash tonight. The fit was good. I'm 5'8 185 and ordered the XL. I like my clothes a little loose. The shirt fits well but the sleeves are a tad long. The material has great stretch but does not cling. There is very little itch if any at all. The zipper is nice and the air enter sides allow good air flow. However, I did find that any itchiness I had was from the vented panels. That may go away with a wash or two but it wasn't enough itch to worry about any way. Before the ultra, I thought First Light had the wool market hands down. I won't say the ultra is better but it does give FL a good run and blows away Stika, C4E, and the older Kuiu. Overall, I think this will be a good option for wool.

Post up about Smartwool it's been around for a while. If you want to know where kuiu is coming from and is going to then look at greenie mountaineering clothing companies. Kuiu is Microsoft in a mirror. They take big mountaineering company clothing ideas and copy them and add camo and a few hunter friendly features and market them to a niche hunting market. By his own admissions Jason started by copying his mountaineering clothing and fell in with Torey from an introduction by a guy from Patagonia.

What do you think anything is.. 99% of Cabales branded products are knock offs,, Same thing with Academy Magellan line. You take a design an either make it better via technology or more affordable be cheaper but comparable technology.

ckleeves

WKR

Can you explain exactly what clothing ideas they have copied?

Shrek this Is spot on. But in no way is it a bad thing

ckleeves

WKR
More copied the ideas then actual product. Lightweight gear, super advanced shells and clothing. Stuff you would never see in a hunting store before sitka.

That's what I was getting at. How else would you improve or reinvent hunting clothing? "Copying" high end outdoor clothing is kind of logical if you ask me. I guess he should have gone original and made jackets with 3 sleeves out of Palm leaves.

Shrek

WKR
More copied the ideas then actual product. Lightweight gear, super advanced shells and clothing. Stuff you would never see in a hunting store before sitka.

It's not a bad thing at all, in fact it's brilliant. There was no way for anyone with a very small development budget and operating capital to originate the fabrics and designs from scratch so hitching on and riding bigger companies work and then modifying the designs is smart.