Kyrgyzstan Ibex Permits

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Damn. Sorry to hear that. What should I be asking for when booking the hunt, in terms of assurances on getting a trophy back? Or is it not on the outfitter because they will blame it on someone else down the line? Is it a total crapshoot?
My outfitter is able to send their clients home with trophies in checked luggage, but to do that, they need 1-2 business days in Bishkek at the end of the hunt. The government official who issues export permits is usually available, but they do leave for personal and official business from time to time. This is beyond the outfitter's control, so no guarantees can be given in this regard. That said, every hunter since 2015 has flown home with their trophies, aside from a group of 2 in October of 2022 and a single hunter this past November. So, your odds are better than 95% long term unless something changes in the future.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
My outfitter is able to send their clients home with trophies in checked luggage, but to do that, they need 1-2 business days in Bishkek at the end of the hunt. The government official who issues export permits is usually available, but they do leave for personal and official business from time to time. This is beyond the outfitter's control, so no guarantees can be given in this regard. That said, every hunter since 2015 has flown home with their trophies, aside from a group of 2 in October of 2022 and a single hunter this past November. So, your odds are better than 95% long term unless something changes in the future.
I don’t necessarily agree with the assessment on this one. There were far more hunters in 2022 who were not able to leave with their trophies than what you are stating. I know in my camp the outfitter did not send anyone home with theirs and I met a few folks online who were in the same boat but with different outfitters. I have not heard how things went this fall with folks getting trophies home.

However if the government person is there for the paperwork and you give yourself a few days for it you should be able to get it on the plane with you

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Let me clarify my statement. I was referring to only one particular outfitter who I have personally worked with since 2015. I send them clients every year, and all of my past clients have successfully taken their trophies home as checked luggage, aside from the two I had mentioned in October of 2022 and another single this past November. The reason for the two in October of 2022 and the single this past November was the same; the one and only officially in Bishkek who issues export permits was out of town at the time my clients needed their permits. Like it or not, outfitters cannot control this, and I can't speculate about any other outfitter in the country, or any other hunters.

I do know other outfitters in Kyrgyzstan who are either not able, or they are not willing to expedite permits and trophy prep for their clients. It is possible these outfitters are not being honest with their clients who request taking them home as luggage.

Yachciksc

FNG
Let me clarify my statement. I was referring to only one particular outfitter who I have personally worked with since 2015. I send them clients every year, and all of my past clients have successfully taken their trophies home as checked luggage, aside from the two I had mentioned in October of 2022 and another single this past November. The reason for the two in October of 2022 and the single this past November was the same; the one and only officially in Bishkek who issues export permits was out of town at the time my clients needed their permits. Like it or not, outfitters cannot control this, and I can't speculate about any other outfitter in the country, or any other hunters.

I do know other outfitters in Kyrgyzstan who are either not able, or they are not willing to expedite permits and trophy prep for their clients. It is possible these outfitters are not being honest with their clients who request taking them home as luggage.
Private message sent Alaska

Yachciksc

FNG

Can you tell me exactly what people are using to bring back trophies? Like a bag or something they must be bringing for flying? Thank you, I will be heading there in sept 2024 and want to be prepared if I can bring back my ibex.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Can you tell me exactly what people are using to bring back trophies? Like a bag or something they must be bringing for flying? Thank you, I will be heading there in sept 2024 and want to be prepared if I can bring back my ibex.
Your ability to bring back trophies as checked luggage largely depends on your particular outfitter. Some outfitters are not willing or able to obtain your export cites and your vet certificate in a short amount of time when you are back in Bishkek. If yours can, you can fit most ibex into a 40" duffel bag due to the curvature of the horns once they are removed from the skull. The only thing you will need in addition to the Kyrgyzstan paperwork is a USFW 3-177 form for the import of any wildlife products. These can be filled out upon arrival stateside.