Liberty Safes Provides Access Codes to FBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I have to agree with some of the guys here being on the government payroll. Same guys show up in every thread defending everything the government does and trying to smear the thread topic along with anyone commenting on what is actually taking place.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps it’s not who is getting their checks from the state/gov it’s more those that have a clear understanding of the processes.
I know a few of the agents on that task force and they are good dudes. Guys that hunt and own guns and shoot. They aren’t out to oppress or infringe on anyone’s rights.
It laughable to think that someone is a “good guy just because they hunt, have guns and shoot. It’s also laughable to think that because someone has a certain (law enforcement background) makes them an expert or that they are right. I’ve literally watched LEOs stumble out of a bar shit faced, bragging how they won’t get a DUI and they write the same ticket they “won’t get” because of”just doing their job”

MattB

WKR
I guess I have to agree with some of the guys here being on the government payroll. Same guys show up in every thread defending everything the government does and trying to smear the thread topic along with anyone commenting on what is actually taking place.
That is the thing, most here don’t seem to understand what is actually taking place. Despite that, they have formed a very firm opinion on the matter.

D S 319

WKR
Lots of speculation that they followed the “rules”… we will never know otherwise, so it’s all good.

Arthas

FNG

Some additional video information of arrest and search provided here. I'm not endorsing the videos commentary at all. Just video of the arrest and LO entering driveway.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is that not what a forum is for? Christ if you want folks to only post about what they have done, this forum is done for
We can do it without personal attacks or disrespecting each others opinions. I didn’t say that we can’t discuss the situation, just that it doesn’t need to make a sharp turn into a political paranoia conspiracy dividing thread without some kind of merit. Opinions are fine, being dismissive of them is not.

The fact that this wasn’t shutdown without notice is a good thing. My comment was a way of minor course correction because we want the thread to play out productively.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
But it wasn't the same thing. Apple doesn't have a "code" to unlock an individual iPhone. In the instance you are referring to, Apple was asked to create decryption software to give to the FBI. While the request was initiated to unlock a specific iPhone, the software could have been used to decrypt any iPhone which had great potential for misuse.

In this instance, Liberty gave a combination that is unique to that specific safe - not a code to open all Liberty safes. The technology exists to allow the FBI to access the safe contents absent the combination, which was likewise not the case in the Apple scenario. Very different fact patterns even if you do not understand that.
Yeah apple has and had the ability. At the time they just chose not to comply. Kinda like the gun community should feel about bump stocks and braces 😂

We can do it without personal attacks or disrespecting each others opinions. I didn’t say that we can’t discuss the situation, just that it doesn’t need to make a sharp turn into a political paranoia conspiracy dividing thread without some kind of merit. Opinions are fine, being dismissive of them is not.

I didnt see anything out of line. If you did, by all means. Point it out

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I found it interesting how heated this discussion became and everyone turned into a "conspiracy theorist" or a "sheep" depending on which side of the fence your on. I didn't really expect that. haha
But I do find it to be a very interesting event with several different pieces.
- First, I assume many people bought a gun safe thinking that after the sale, their business and ties to the manufacturer were over, not knowing that they maintain a directory of emergency combos (I guess if you filled out an emergency contact access card, then you knew otherwise).
- From what I have gathered through multiple covers of the story, and it appears from the Liberty tweet a couple posts before this one, the FBI just called and asked nicely and liberty handed over the code. Some may have assumed giving a company thousands of dollars for a security device would buy at least some minimal loyalty to maintain customer security. The phrase "As soon as you show us an official subpoena to open the safe, we will comply with your demands." would have gone a long way for their customer base. It appears they have now made that their official policy.

I do not own a gun safe, so this is not a personal issue to me. However, when I get a gun safe, I want to have the say whether some opens my safe or I make them figure out how to crack it or break in to access my important belongings.

gelton

WKR
TLDR the whole thread but in case this hasn't been pointed out previously - Liberty Safes was purchased by Monomoy Capital Partners in 2021, and according to FEC reports they donated 400K of max contributions to "liberals" (they aren't liberal) like Raphael Warnock, John Fetterman (is he even alive lol) and Mark Kelly out of AZ .

Also - if you are a liberty safe owner, they require you to jump through hoops to get your passcode, but they turn it over the the feds like a hot potato.

Status
Not open for further replies.