Liberty Safes Provides Access Codes to FBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

WKR
I found it interesting how heated this discussion became and everyone turned into a "conspiracy theorist" or a "sheep" depending on which side of the fence your on. I didn't really expect that. haha
But I do find it to be a very interesting event with several different pieces.
- First, I assume many people bought a gun safe thinking that after the sale, their business and ties to the manufacturer were over, not knowing that they maintain a directory of emergency combos (I guess if you filled out an emergency contact access card, then you knew otherwise).
- From what I have gathered through multiple covers of the story, and it appears from the Liberty tweet a couple posts before this one, the FBI just called and asked nicely and liberty handed over the code. Some may have assumed giving a company thousands of dollars for a security device would buy at least some minimal loyalty to maintain customer security. The phrase "As soon as you show us an official subpoena to open the safe, we will comply with your demands." would have gone a long way for their customer base. It appears they have now made that their official policy.

I do not own a gun safe, so this is not a personal issue to me. However, when I get a gun safe, I want to have the say whether some opens my safe or I make them figure out how to crack it or break in to access my important belongings.
Where do you get your news? Every source I have read indicated Liberty was provided a warrant in this case, and that the company has a long-standing policy of requiring a warrant to provide access and has refused many requests where a warrant was not provided (not a new policy as you suggest).

SwiftShot

WKR
My problem with the whole thing is, WTF you have a master code to get into the safe. I thought when you changed the codes, that was the new codes, but apparently it is not. The manufacturer still has a code to work around it. That is not how a safe is supposed to work. I bet those master codes are on the web for sale. So basically your liberty safe is truly worthless.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you get your news? Every source I have read indicated Liberty was provided a warrant in this case, and that the company has a long-standing policy of requiring a warrant to provide access and has refused many requests where a warrant was not provided (not a new policy as you suggest).
Every source also says that masks slow the spread and it’s only for 10 days. 😂

And heart attacks are normal for kids and the shots are 100% effective at providing immunity from lawsuits for the manufacturer. 😂

Thank god for the news. Never would know who to trust without them.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Ah yes, the search of he house was a legal search. I'm not arguing that. But there was nothing in the warrant legally compelling Liberty to open the safe. Their intent was to aid law enforcement and be cooperative, a sentiment I believe should be used more often. However, Their product's purpose is to provide security and privacy, so they basically denied the client the service he paid for willingly, rather than being compelled to do so.
So I suppose my point is that their previous policy of giving away client information in good faith to LE when they had a warrant to search the house, without being subpoenaed to do so, was also a betrayal of loyalty to their customers. I believe their policy correction should have been their original practice - protecting the integrity of their product until all possible legal steps had been taken REQUIRING them to turn over client information.

Not surprising to me. I think a lot of people would be very surprised to learn how quickly their rights can be redefined by the government under the right circumstances.

When LEO raid a place and are really looking for something, they don’t **** around. Taking documents and computers for extended periods of time. impounding vehcles. Freezing accounts. Batter doors, break locks. Remove toilets, cut into walls, dig up yards. Warrants are not that hard to get within reasonable circumstances and It’s all on table if you find yourself on the wrong side of an investigation.

Yoder

WKR
My question is, why are people outraged over the safe? The fact that the FBI is still going after these people is what you should be outraged about. I don't see them rounding up the people that took over part of Seattle claiming it was another country. Or any of the thousands of people rioting over George Floyd.

jpmulk

WKR
There is nothing wild about this. January 6 drama aside, if law enforcement has probable cause to apply for a warrant and a judge signs off on it, companies are legally required to cooperate with the warrant. That is all that happened here. Happens every day with technology warrants.

Again, im just speaking to the process of the actual warrant and company’s compliance. Not Jan 6 drama or political stuff.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That is the thing, most here don’t seem to understand what is actually taking place. Despite that, they have formed a very firm opinion on the matter.
At this point "everyone" should understand what is and has been taking place, and Liberty was just a tiny part of "the problem" in this instance. The potential and/or threat of a weaponized or tyrannical government is the exact reason why we have the Constitution and three branches of government. But just having those is proving that those alone still can't prevent or stop that threat. The only thing left to stop it is "the people".

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My question is, why are people outraged over the safe? The fact that the FBI is still going after these people is what you should be outraged about. I don't see them rounding up the people that took over part of Seattle claiming it was another country. Or any of the thousands of people rioting over George Floyd.

This requires critical thinking and isnt inline with the right or the lefts cancel culture ideals.

Exactly,speak up and post your thoughts on the real problem (fbi and bidens cronies).

GSPHUNTER

WKR
So the FBI raided Nathan Hughes house based on his participation in the events that accrued on Jan 6 at he capital. Has anyone read or heard if he was one of the few who had firearms on their person at the time he was there? If not why would liberty provide info to the FBI to gain access to his safe?? The FBI has no comment about the raid because it is an on going investigation.

gabenzeke

WKR
Looks like liberty issued a statement saying they've changed their policy so they won't assist law enforcement going forward unless legally compelled to do so. Which leads me to believe they weren't legally compelled in this case.

Edit to add: you can also opt to remove your password from their records going forward so they won't even have the option to help you or someone else without the code get in.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

So the WKRs get their frillies knotted up on this.

But the same folks ignore they massive amount of personal information that they freely provide to non-government entities which is then given freely to or legally sold through commercial channels to various levels of government. All done in cooperation to legally bypass your rights.

All the IoT in your home, your smart door bells/cameras/locks, your cell phone provider and apps, your ISPs, your VPN providers, your TVs, your computers and apps, your vehicle, your home assistants, DNA testing, robot vacuum cleaners, etc. spy on you and the respective companies all "cave" or "cooperate" with LE and governments when it is all said and done.

So kudos for taking a stand on Liberty while welcoming into your personal lives the actual threats to your liberty and constitutional rights.

gabenzeke

WKR
So the WKRs get their frillies knotted up on this.

But the same folks ignore they massive amount of personal information that they freely provide to non-government entities which is then given freely to or legally sold through commercial channels to various levels of government. All done in cooperation to legally bypass your rights.

All the IoT in your home, your smart door bells/cameras/locks, your cell phone provider and apps, your ISPs, your VPN providers, your TVs, your computers and apps, your vehicle, your home assistants, DNA testing, robot vacuum cleaners, etc. spy on you and the respective companies all "cave" or "cooperate" with LE and governments when it is all said and done.

So kudos for taking a stand on Liberty while welcoming into your personal lives the actual threats to your liberty and constitutional rights.
How do you know I'm not running a no agenda phone? Or how do you know I use any of those things? I doubt you can escape it all, but some of us try to make choices to protect what's left of our liberty where we can. What's the point in being frustrated with all those other things stealing your data, if you're just going to be fine with liberty giving the FBI a code to a safe in your house?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
I have a drug siezed safe. When I bought it, there was two holes drilled in the door. One wiped the relocker and the other the lock. I rebuilt the door and located a different relocker in a different location. The law knows how to get in.....I guarantee it.
worked for a un-named gov contractor. The 2 holes are normal for breaking in, we used to plug weld them up after lock rebuild. Usually take about 5 minutes to get into one. Even with a real safe it takes a couple minutes to burn through it ( not with a torch) if you don't care what happens to the contents. Usually it is only smoke damage.

AndrewD

FNG
Wait...people buy high-end safes with digital locks?

I wouldn't be surprised if every safe company had the exact same policy and now get to benefit from Liberty's PR nightmare and quietly change things. Ex-Liberty customers will never even know that their new safe company would have done the exact same thing.

It would probably be wise for all safe companies to go beyond a basic search warrant and require a specific court order to provide the access code. They can throw in an exigency clause where the requirement can be bypassed if there is an unlikely time sensitivity to the need to get into a safe to avoid injury or death. This would provide the company with the most protection from backlash.

Reactions: Duh

Htm84

WKR

Probably because those idiots were smart enough to conceal their identity while committing crimes. The Jan 6 retards weren’t.

So the FBI raided Nathan Hughes house based on his participation in the events that accrued on Jan 6 at he capital. Has anyone read or heard if he was one of the few who had firearms on their person at the time he was there? If not why would liberty provide info to the FBI to gain access to his safe?? The FBI has no comment about the raid because it is an on going investigation.
He was charged with felony offense of civil disorder and misdemeanor of entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds . He was caught on video of " using his elbow to strike in the direction of police" . I found nothing about firearm charges . FBI have arrested 1,106 people associated with jan 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.