lightweight addiction

60x

WKR
so out with it! the more I read the more I think some of you guys (and gals of course) have an addiction to light weight gear.. I have to admit I have been finding myself getting sucked in... I was even looking at cutting the tags out of my drawers.. Is there some sort of support group out there or something..;)

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Ha I wish.. I learned years ago not to bother trying to save weight because the less I took the more the hunters took ;) I am learning though.. Last year I gained about 10 pounds cause I had to carry a stinkin rifle(never used to carry one) but saved a bunch of weight by going with black coffee.. The most weight I saved was by taking along a youngin to carry my crap....hehehe

here is my little helper in his infamous lion king pose...lol

Attachments

• photo (37).jpg
    photo (37).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 291
OP
60x

60x

WKR
I may not win the light weight catagory but I will surely place in the age of gear catagory...;)

Attachments

• photo (30).jpg
    photo (30).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 296
  • photo (31).jpg
    photo (31).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 278
  • photo (32).jpg
    photo (32).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 286
  • photo (34).jpg
    photo (34).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 255
  • photo (35).jpg
    photo (35).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 240

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am recovering more and more all the time and become less concerned with every last ounce and more concerned with being in shape and learning about the animals and how to hunt them more all the time. Gear really doesn't make you a better hunter, just makes the experience often less painful in general IMO. ;) Don't get me wrong I still go straight to look at the weight of any item I buy, but its certainly not the end all be all consideration ;)

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Luke come on over to the other side the peanuts in the m&m's dont weigh that much..lol

In all honesty i started this thread jokingly but the truth is there have been some amazing transitions in gear over the years. I have a few things I want to change this season the can literally add up to 10 pounds and that just seems huge to me...

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Hello my name is Andy and I have an addiction. Nothing goes into my pack without first getting weighed. The way I see it , a few ounces saved means more whiskey and steak! Haha

Last edited:
I am recovering more and more all the time and become less concerned with every last ounce and more concerned with being in shape and learning about the animals and how to hunt them more all the time. Gear really doesn't make you a better hunter, just makes the experience often less painful in general IMO. ;) Don't get me wrong I still go straight to look at the weight of any item I buy, but its certainly not the end all be all consideration ;)

This from a guy that puts flutes on a Kimber 84M?? haha. You know you like gear Luke, just embrace it...

Luke come on over to the other side the peanuts in the m&m's dont weigh that much..lol

In all honesty i started this thread jokingly but the truth is there have been some amazing transitions in gear over the years. I have a few things I want to change this season the can literally add up to 10 pounds and that just seems huge to me...

I'm pretty sure you could cut 10 lbs just from the pack, rifle, and jackets. After that, they start coming harder! By far the best way to lighten the pack is just to learn what you can leave at home, but I think you probably have that figured out by now. Too bad you have to carry that rifle. :)

btw buddy... you need to learn to use photobucket. It ain't that hard if I can figure it out.

What IS that army camo thing anyway? You pack that up the mountain too?

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Ok Ok Ill use my photobucket;)

Come on YK the Jacket....lol I admit its heavy but I have carried that for a longgg time. I first used that in the park(14c) on a 14day hunt and it was solid rain every day and that north face coat kept me warm and dry.. I do want to replace but its tough... Yeah I know the camo pants were a last minute thing last year since my other were all torn... theres lots of holes in my gloves doesnt that count for going light weight.. I do plan on putting that rifle to good use very very soon;)

you are right though the best way is to realize what you dont need.. I actually scaled down some things now that my hunting has changed styles so to speak.. Also for me it depends.. Long flat approaches to a base setup senero I usually take extra comfy things but if its a base camp at elevation I adjust as needed..

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA YK, very true, but the Kimber isn't fluted....skeletonized...which is totally different ;).

mtbshark

WKR
the only piece of gear that confuses me is top right in the third photo, the orange block.
what do you use it for in the woods????

Buster

WKR
HAHA YK, very true, but the Kimber isn't fluted....skeletonized...which is totally different ;).

Sounds like classic denial to me.

60x, I have a solution for you. I will tag along with you and will graciously pack my rifle, and I'll even pack one of those darn heavy tags, just so you don't have to. That will trim those pesky 10 pounds.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Sounds like classic denial to me.

60x, I have a solution for you. I will tag along with you and will graciously pack my rifle, and I'll even pack one of those darn heavy tags, just so you don't have to. That will trim those pesky 10 pounds.

Ha I bet you would...lol. I think those pounds are here to stay;)

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Hello my name is Andy and I have an addiction. Nothing goes into my pack without first getting weighed. The way I see it , a few ounces saved means more whiskey and steak! Haha

Now that's the way to go light...:)

OP
60x

60x

WKR
the only piece of gear that confuses me is top right in the third photo, the orange block.
what do you use it for in the woods????

Ha... Didn't been notice that. My son must be learning early to sneak his gear in someone else's pack;)

OP
60x

60x

WKR
So tell me addicts what that one or two pieces of gear where you think you saved the most weight?

bbrown

WKR
Guilty but I am trying to be better...

The 2 pieces where I saved the most were probably tent and sleeping bag but that was only after I stopped carrying all that extra crap.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So tell me addicts what that one or two pieces of gear where you think you saved the most weight?

That depends.......are we comparing from 30 years ago, or more recently? From 30 years ago EVERYTHING is considerably lighter.......except my water. I'm at less than half the weight of back then, with tremendous gains in performance as well.

Good question. Besides just learning what junk to leave at home... I have saved considerable weight and bulk by learning to use a less durable, but warmer jacket (puffy) and a thinner shell on backpack specific stuff. Still have the heavy stuff for busting brush on moose and coastal trips, but can downsize considerably on a backpack hunt or when just using a daypack on a fairweather day. If I was guiding for weeks on end in the mountains, I would lean towards the more durable options, but I'm not.

Tents have also gotten considerably lighter over the years, and I save anywhere between 2-4 lbs off my old North Face depending on what I bring. My sleeping bag is still synthetic, but warmer, smaller, and almost a pound lighter than my last one.

Yk