lightweight addiction

jmez

WKR
With upgrading my bag, tent, and pack I am looking to save about 10 lbs. Everything I'm replacing will be better quality as well as lighter.

dotman

WKR
I have found that I prefer a middle ground, I guess I like comfort and durability more then oz's for certain items. I don't have the lightest weight stuff but I don't have the heaviest stuff either. If I keep my pack weight to around 50lbs not including weapon or clothes/gear I carry in my hands I'm pretty happy.

If I ever get to Alaska I have a feeling the GIF may get me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I want from a 11 pound Mystery Ranch pack to a 5.5 pound Kifaru. From a 6.75 pound Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT to a 3.25 pound GoLite Tipi. 3.5 pound Wiggy's bag to a to a down bag that weighs in at 2 pounds or a 20 degree quilt that weighs in at 1.5 pounds. None of my upgrades are considered super lightweight but they all work well enough most the time. Total savings just by upgrading those 3 options is roughly 10 pounds.

The caveat to all of that though is there is a time and a place for that heavier 4 season tent and synthetic bag. So unless you can afford to own both I'd rather own one synthetic bag and a double wall 4 season tent. Luckily I am blessed to own both so I do and pick and choose what I take. For example, next month on Kodiak I'll be using a synthetic bag and a 4 season Hilleberg tent, but 90% of my backpacking down bags and lightweight tipis are more than enough.

jmez

WKR
The shelter and bag is area dependent as well. I go on one backpack hunting trip a year in mid to late Sept for elk. I have no use for a 4 season shelter an synthetic bag. If I lived in Ak I would likely have a completely different system. More than likely I would have a variety of systems:)

If I lived in Ak I would likely have a completely different system. More than likely I would have a variety of systems:)

My Alaska "system(s)" is a big pile of gear in the closet and several boxes of misc stuff of all kinds and types. I just pull out the appropriate stuff the night before I go. Works good. :)

Headed out moose hunting tomorrow. Taking the 60 lb Arctic Oven tent as that seems the "appropriate" choice for Alaska in January. Considering leaving the wood stove at home though. Don't want to pack too heavy you know! Also opting for the down sleeping bag this time. Time and a place....

Yk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My Alaska "system(s)" is a big pile of gear in the closet and several boxes of misc stuff of all kinds and types. I just pull out the appropriate stuff the night before I go. Works good. :)

Headed out moose hunting tomorrow. Taking the 60 lb Arctic Oven tent as that seems the "appropriate" choice for Alaska in January. Considering leaving the wood stove at home though. Don't want to pack too heavy you know! Also opting for the down sleeping bag this time. Time and a place....

Yk

HAHA so true....in fact I'm taking my Arctic Oven out on the 5th of Feb for 5 days of winter camping, fishing, and bird hunting. But I am bringing the propane heater for certain. :D

OP
60x

60x

WKR

Yk

Arctic Oven..hmmm may want to reconsider that and take a screen house and a life preserver..;) they canceled winter here in the valley +40's and rain today..

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Good question. Besides just learning what junk to leave at home... I have saved considerable weight and bulk by learning to use a less durable, but warmer jacket (puffy) and a thinner shell on backpack specific stuff. Still have the heavy stuff for busting brush on moose and coastal trips, but can downsize considerably on a backpack hunt or when just using a daypack on a fairweather day. If I was guiding for weeks on end in the mountains, I would lean towards the more durable options, but I'm not.

Tents have also gotten considerably lighter over the years, and I save anywhere between 2-4 lbs off my old North Face depending on what I bring. My sleeping bag is still synthetic, but warmer, smaller, and almost a pound lighter than my last one.

Yk

You hit the nail on the head. Although there are some minor changes in gear for the most part my pack was set up to be on the go from a sheep hunt to a peninsula bear hunt.. Same gear different area.. There were lots of times where you know who would pick up up from a sheep hunt and put us on a moose or grizz or the opposite.. I have finally(well likely;) ) come to the conclusion that that part of my life is over so I have been changin styles.. Funnny you mention clothing because that was my big frustration last year in the fact that it seemed to be too heavy.. I have been looking at going puffy and depending on permits I likely will..

OP
60x

60x

WKR
I want from a 11 pound Mystery Ranch pack to a 5.5 pound Kifaru. From a 6.75 pound Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT to a 3.25 pound GoLite Tipi.

I am always jealous at those tent weights on the floorless options but just cant bring myself to do it.. I had and incident once where a hunter left some candy in my tent and forgot to zip the door and a parka squirel broke in and decided my tent and sleeping bag would be his personal toilet...grr....I still have nightmares bout it

Pretty sure it's still winter on the north slope of the Alaska Range... but hey, I've got that warm weather gear too if it comes to it. :)

Back to the original subject. Besides the low hanging fruit like your 9+ lb pack, a relatively inexpensive upgrade would be your stove. Those Dragonfly's are good kit, but both heavy and bulky compared to a canister stove. Not to mention the convenience of being able to make hot coffee by just reaching one arm out of the bag in the morning.

Buy a scale that measures in tenths of an oz, and soon you too will be like these other lightweight freaks. :)

Yk

OP
60x

60x

WKR
my big ones this year for mountain hunting, looking at switching out of my barney bob pack to a SG, looking at a new mountain rifle, and for early sheep a new sleeping bag,and puffy.. i figure i can drop over 10+

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Oh I still we still sleep in screened area within a bathtub floor at that weight.

See here for how it works:
http://vimeo.com/45182137

And until Jan 20th you can pick one up for $270 is you have the coupon code.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Pretty sure it's still winter on the north slope of the Alaska Range... but hey, I've got that warm weather gear too if it comes to it. :)

Back to the original subject. Besides the low hanging fruit like your 9+ lb pack, a relatively inexpensive upgrade would be your stove. Those Dragonfly's are good kit, but both heavy and bulky compared to a canister stove. Not to mention the convenience of being able to make hot coffee by just reaching one arm out of the bag in the morning.

Buy a scale that measures in tenths of an oz, and soon you too will be like these other lightweight freaks. :)

Yk

thats blasphemy yk that dragonfly been around a long time and in a pinch burns all different fuels.. simmers for my 12 cups of coffee and now that its two piece it fits in my titanium pot better;)

haha. Ok, fine. The savings would only be about 10-12 oz anyway. Peanuts. And there is something to be said about the lion roar of the MSR in the morning, right?

I say all that because I'm packing my XGK tonight. :D

Yk