lightweight addiction

Hey! At least he has duct tape wrapped around his pink water bottle, but I think he could cut a few inches off that spoon :)

I can help you folks out on the transition to lighter weight gear,

I am going to make it my goal to convert as many of you as possible to the joys of revolver hunting!!!

I don't do it because it is more challenging, I do it because it is lighter , under 4 lbs, and because I have both hands free to hold on with while climbing after goats!! ( I tried to do a smiley face here, but I am not smart enough I guess)

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I am going to make it my goal to convert as many of you as possible to the joys of revolver hunting!!!

I don't do it because it is more challenging, I do it because it is lighter , under 4 lbs, and because I have both hands free to hold on with while climbing after goats!! ( I tried to do a smiley face here, but I am not smart enough I guess)

HAHA you have me seriously thinking of bringing my .44 mag on a hunt sometime. Mostly cause they are so small and handy than a barrel sticking up out of the pack or what not when going through the brush. Probably start on a caribou or black bear hunt and go from there. What handier than a bow or rifle to bring ;)

BTW to smiley you just type : ) but without the space inbetween them :)

OP
60x

60x

WKR

Ok Im ready ;)

OP
60x

60x

WKR
haha. Ok, fine. The savings would only be about 10-12 oz anyway. Peanuts. And there is something to be said about the lion roar of the MSR in the morning, right?

I say all that because I'm packing my XGK tonight. :D

Yk

well at least i leave the cutting board home now that was in my map pocket that i used to sit the stove on inside the bomb shelter to make coffee....hehehe

well at least i leave the cutting board home now that was in my map pocket that i used to sit the stove on inside the bomb shelter to make coffee....hehehe

Bomb Shelter!!! Now that is a great backpack tent!!! :) thanks Luke

I have hauled a lot of those in an airplane!! Great tent for certain applications!!

Bob

Ok Im ready ;)

Perfect hunting gun!!

I would like to propose a Rokslide handgun hunt , say to POW, this fall for deer/black bear!!!

I can put folks up here at the house in Ketchikan till we head over to POW, ......

ethan

WKR
Funny timing! Last weekend me and a few friends were on our annual "winter trip" and one of my buddies looked at my pack before we headed up the mountain and asked "who's light pack is this?" Thing is, I've always thought the best approach was to try to land somewhere in the middle of the going light weight/comfortable but the older I get the more I'm leaning towards the light weight gear.

That being said, I agree whole heartedly that the best way to shed oz's is to not take what you don't need!

545.jpg
We'll see if that works...
It did!!!
480 SRH. Generally filled with 400gr hardcast. It wears Hogue grips nowdays so the Uncle Mike's gloves are gone.
Hopefully it will take it's first critters this year.

I would love to do a hunt down there but this year is already spoken for...

Last edited:
OP
60x

60x

WKR
Perfect hunting gun!!

I would like to propose a Rokslide handgun hunt , say to POW, this fall for deer/black bear!!!

I can put folks up here at the house in Ketchikan till we head over to POW, ......

Bob that is a mighty nice offer and I will see if I can get the time to come for a visit, that will depend on permits though..
Can I bring a rifle as a back up...hehehe just kiddin, I have my a scoped 454 freedom arms sittin in my safe too;)

Bob that is a mighty nice offer and I will see if I can get the time to come for a visit, that will depend on permits though..
Can I bring a rifle as a back up...hehehe just kiddin, I have my a scoped 454 freedom arms sittin in my safe too;)

The .454 would be perfect!!

And to be serious, folks are welcome to bring rifles!! Even those mechanical contraption compound bows!!! :)

To sum it up, if any Rokslide folks want to come hunting around here, I will help with transportation from airport, provide a place to stay in Ketchikan
(as long as they don't mind a couple of very friendly LARGE Rottweilers) , and get you to the air taxi for transport.

Bob

colonel00

WKR
Awesome offer. I am set for this year but POW has always looked like a rainy mess of fun to try someday. Any special considerations for a non-resident as far as hunting restrictions? As far as I know, black bear and deer there are OTC tags, right?

Brad

The deer tags are OTC,
black bear is now draw for non-res for POW , unless you go with a guide.

Bob

Last edited:
HAHA you have me seriously thinking of bringing my .44 mag on a hunt sometime. Mostly cause they are so small and handy than a barrel sticking up out of the pack or what not when going through the brush. Probably start on a caribou or black bear hunt and go from there. What handier than a bow or rifle to bring ;)

BTW to smiley you just type : ) but without the space inbetween them :)

caribou or black is a great way to start Luke!! My first big game with a handgun was a caribou when I was 18 yrs...

The .44 mag is my all time favorite cartridge!! I would be willing to hunt worldwide with one!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just might try it this year. Be a fun new challenge for sure. Honestly it appeals to me more than bowhunting.

I really think you would be hooked once you try it!!

Next I will get you into casting your own bullets!!

I have a couple of bullet mold makers that make my molds for me, I just send them a drawing of what I want and they make it for me!
One of them actually has an on line design program where you can spec it out and order it!!

A lot of satisfaction in casting your own, and using it to hunt with!!
Bob

OP
60x

60x

WKR
I just might try it this year. Be a fun new challenge for sure. Honestly it appeals to me more than bowhunting.

I am an archer and honestly the handgun thing appeals to me more sometimes too.. My dad hunts with a handgun and I seen lots of Snyds posts(where the heck is he anyway this is right up his alley) posts and the more I read the more I want to give it a go.. Bob I bet you are right about it being addicting..

Oh I still we still sleep in screened area within a bathtub floor at that weight.

See here for how it works:
http://vimeo.com/45182137

And until Jan 20th you can pick one up for $270 is you have the coupon code.

Hey Luke that looks like a great light weight way to go. I'm just wondering do you always keep your grub in your tent with you? Have you ever had problems with critters trying to get at it? I keep my food close enough to my shelter that I will hear anything trying to get at it and be able to defend it but I don't keep it inside with me unless it's winter and I'm trying to keep some stuff from freezing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
MMM,

Yep always have kept my food in my shelter. What if you want a midnight snack? :D

Seriously though haven't had a problem and I especially don't worry once I have meat in camp, figure that will smell a lot better hanging in the alders or under a tarp somewhere than the backpacking food that is dry and bland.

Only incident was in 2011 on a sheep hunt Becca and I were on. We were about 8 miles in and packed a package of soft taco shells in for the Mountain House Wrap meals (likely my favorite mountain house meals). Anyways we left that camp setup and hiked 10 miles up the drainage to check out more areas for sheep, and we spiked out a night. By the time we got back that evening we found a ground squirrel had taken little nibbles out of every single one of those soft taco shells. I was ready to give the next ground squirrel I saw a 165 Accubond to eat next, but decided not to. We did however make a point of taking the time to find ground squirrel holes to pee in. Made me feel a little better inside.