Long Range Scope Shootout, By Travis Bertrand

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
When deciding which scope to put on a long-range rifle it can be hard to figure what will work the best due to so many great options available today. There are a lot of different scopes to match a lot of different needs and goals. In this review @Travis Bertrand compares three top contenders head to head so you have the information you need to make an educated purchase. Check it out and ask him some questions!

Long Range Scope Shootout

CO-AJ

WKR
I have a Leopold on my 300WM, a Vortex on my AR-10, and a Nightforce ATACR on the precision gun. The leupold definitely needs updating as it is old, but it is still a great scope decades later. This would be a tough comparison to do simply because there are so many options out there and Im guessing many of us start with the application, durability, and price. I know I did.

KHNC

WKR
Are there any reviews by rokslide using the Vortex AMG or Razor HD line? If so, sorry i missed them. Thx

I dont knoe why your review says its hard to set the zero stop on the Zeiss v4 its pretty straight forward, vortex and leupolds are way harder
For zeiss first you sight in, then just remove the cap , twist the cam to hit the stop and put the cap back on so easy

ChrisAU

WKR
I dont knoe why your review says its hard to set the zero stop on the Zeiss v4 its pretty straight forward, vortex and leupolds are way harder
For zeiss first you sight in, then just remove the cap , twist the cam to hit the stop and put the cap back on so easy

Leupold Mark 5 you don't even remove the cap. Just loosen two screws and turn the turret back to 0. At which point it locks itself in place and you don't have to worry about coming off the mark while re-tightening those two screws. Done.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
No, Nightforce is not the standard. I would argue Schmidt and Bender or Hendsolt would be the standards for optics.

Why don't scope test include ability to hold a zero? optical clarity and light transmission don't mean anything if the optic cant stay zero'ed if it is accidentally dropped.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why don't scope test include ability to hold a zero? optical clarity and light transmission don't mean anything if the optic cant stay zero'ed if it is accidentally dropped.

This test did have the ability to hold a zero, and optical clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This test did have the ability to hold a zero, and optical clarity.
I saw the ability to return to zero, but not the ability to hold zero, like if the rifle takes a fall, or if the scope is impacted from the side, or that type of thing. Did I miss it? feel free to call me a dumb ass, Im not the brightest.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I have multiple Leopold's, a Nightforce NXS, USO SN3 T-PAL and a Schmidt and Bender PMII.
The NXS has a grey hue/tint and appears darker than the Leupold's, S&B and USO. Nightforce NXS at one point would not elevate, contacted customer service and was told to reset zero stop (it fixed the issue but we'll see for how long).
S&B has been great mounted on my Sako TRG-42 .338Lapua.

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
Love my nxs but it is way too heavy lol good thing it sits on a heavy 338win. I am looking for a vx5hd or mark 5 for my new tikka ctr. Any thoughts on vx5hd?? Seems like the clarity in glass and the weight would be a no brainer?

Love my nxs but it is way too heavy lol good thing it sits on a heavy 338win. I am looking for a vx5hd or mark 5 for my new tikka ctr. Any thoughts on vx5hd?? Seems like the clarity in glass and the weight would be a no brainer?

I have two VX5HD 3-15 and like them a lot. Don’t have a ton to compare them to but I have been happy with them. If you want something lighter the vx3 would shave a few oz.

slowelk

WKR
@Travis Bertrand what height rings were you mounting the maven with? I have the Nightforce (0.885”) lows on a 20moa rail that I’m hoping will work.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Travis Bertrand what height rings were you mounting the maven with? I have the Nightforce (0.885”) lows on a 20moa rail that I’m hoping will work.

I used Hawkens high rings. I did that because I’m using a chassis. I think it will all depend on your rifle, and barrel diameter. I hope it works for you.