Looking for recommendation/experience meat hauling frame

Takem

WKR
I hauled a good deal of elk and deer with an Alaska frame and was always happy with it for the price. I would say I stayed in the 80 pound range for the most part.

The badlands ox was never super popular. People kind of dump on it. But I loved mine. I've upgraded since then, but I'd be happy to pack 100lbs in an Ox, especially on flat Florida ground.

AXEL

WKR
I have an original Dana Design Shortbed, from which I have removed the bag and use only the frame, sans top piece for packing stuff to my 4x4 from camp or a kill site. These are easy to find used on various backpacking sites and net sites for used items and they work very well.

If, buying a new pack, my choice would be the SO Revolution frame with a Merlin bag to carry my gear. I have owned/used many packs since the mid-'60s and like the two SOs I now have better than any I have toted.

Most of the rigid frames, lower end models, hurt you after 70ish lbs, and a nice used DD costs less anyway.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's been a LOT of times I have wished I,d picked up a cache hauler when they were still easy to find...

Call ahead to your local SW. Online they are always listed as out of stock. My local store in south Denver had them all year until last week, hopefully that wasn't the last of them.

If money is no object I'd get a barneys
If you're looking to get by a little cheaper Kelty cache hauler is a hard one to beat, I give it a slight edge over Cabelas alaskan but not by much

wytx

WKR
Check out these if your looking for just a pack frame. We use them with a waist pack strapped to the bottom or just the frame and meat bag. It will haul 100 lbs., verified and probably more, it is rated to 120 lbs.

Bighorn Frame with Handipak

It is very similar to a gen IV molle frame but a little different. Has worked quite well for us for 1-2 mile pack trips. Haven't had to use it yet for a longer trip than 2 miles.

Btaylor

WKR
Would a game cart work?

In my experience, at least with the cart I used, carts are fine if you have a road or clean trail, otherwise, I personally would rather pack an animal out. The cart beats dragging but off trail they can be a real pita.

OP
rnfarley

rnfarley

FNG
In my experience, at least with the cart I used, carts are fine if you have a road or clean trail, otherwise, I personally would rather pack an animal out. The cart beats dragging but off trail they can be a real pita.

Yeah, same here - it's relatively flat, but thick as sin I'd definitely want it on my back.