Making the switch from triax for a Dall hunt?

jcc1590

FNG
Currently shooting a triax it was my first real bow I’ve had pretty good luck and have enjoyed the bow. I’m going to be going on a Dall hunt later this year and I’m thinking of switching/upgrading to maybe a VXR or something a little longer just looking for some input. Is it worth it? Will I notice a big difference? Also looking for some input on arrow build for a Dall? Should I switch up my setup from my typical mully/elk axis arrows any other archery sheep input much appreciated.

Thanks

OR Archer

WKR
Triax is a great bow. When comparing it to the VXR 31.5 what you’ll get is a better hold on target. A little quieter. A better grip. Speeds are pretty equal. Weight is better balanced in the vxr riser so it’s perceived weight feels less. Are the gains worth the upgrade? That’s something you’ll need to decided. Shoot them side by side and see if you shoot one better than the other. Let the bow tell you.

Also what’s your current arrow setup and bow specs?

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'd be switching to a carbon bow for that type of hunt, Mathews definitely aren't the lightest rigs around.
$1500 price tag justifies the weight savings of maybe 6 ounces?

Currently shooting a triax it was my first real bow I’ve had pretty good luck and have enjoyed the bow. I’m going to be going on a Dall hunt later this year and I’m thinking of switching/upgrading to maybe a VXR or something a little longer just looking for some input. Is it worth it? Will I notice a big difference? Also looking for some input on arrow build for a Dall? Should I switch up my setup from my typical mully/elk axis arrows any other archery sheep input much appreciated.

Thanks
Honestly if you are comfortable with your bow and shooting well with it I see zero reason to change.

Beendare

WKR
Dall sheep are a soft target.

My recommendation is to fashion your shooting, tuning and arrow for best arrow flight in the wind on longer shots in rough conditions.

I would practice long shots at steep angles...in the wind. Use a removable quiver. When the wind is buffeting you having those arrows in your quiver makes it harder to hold. Practice shooting at weird body angles on rough ground....it's almost guaranteed you won't be standing on a flat spot.

Arrow wise- BH tune of course. A tuned arrow is more forgiving in hunting conditions. Us a low profile Fletch and BH...less wind drift. Also, know how much your arrow will drift in the many different wind conditions...it could be the difference in harvest or goose egg.

FWIW, my only sheep hunt was spent covering a huge amount of country in an open unit- Alaska range...brutal....then sitting on the only legal ram for miles for 4 days through the worst weather imaginable trying to get a bow shot. I finally shot him with the guides rifle after 6 super cubs circled him the day before, my guide kept telling me other hunters were coming...and no doubt they were.

OP
J

jcc1590

FNG
Thanks for the input guys much appreciated. Went and shot the VXR today and it definitely felt more stable/quicker to settle. Thinking about selling the Triax. Currently shooting a Easton Axis at 70 lbs 28.5 draw with 100 grain fixed head. Also looking for suggestion for maybe a new broadhead not too impressed with the G5 Montec that I have been shooting. Im trying to really get the perfect set up as this will probably be my only shot at a Dall

Zac

WKR
If you want a good production head the Exodus is probably the best. If you want one of the more elite offerings, Day 6 Evo or the Iron Will fit the bill for 100 grains. Can't go wrong with any of those three.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I second what Beendare said. Make sure you have a well tuned bow.

In all honesty if I was going to build a sheep hunting I would an arrow set up that had higher front of center than the average hunting arrow on a skinny shaft like a Victory VAP or a Black Eagle X-Impact. Not for the penetration ability (yes added benefit) but the ability to help with cross winds and keeping the fixed head from planing.

My arrow set up would look something like this.
  1. Victory VAP 250 cut to 28" (about 29.5" overall with outsert and broadhead)
  2. Ethics 115 grain outsert
  3. 125 grain broadhead low profile fixed head. Such as Slicktrick Standard, Slicktrick Viper trick, Ironwill vented, QAD Exodus, Muzzy trocar, steelforce phathead etc
  4. 4 trueflight feathers with a hard helical. Even though they have a high profile like a blazer I have never had a problem shooting them in winds up to about 30 mph. (I tested them when hurricane Michael was coming last year. lol). Also I have hunted with them in down pours in Florida and never had a problem with flight. And I wasn't using any waterproofing agent.
  5. standard nock
This would have me around 536 grains and FOC of about 19% and probably 285-290 fps. But having more weight in the front vs throughout the arrow will help with longer distance shooting and being more forgiving with fixed heads. If you want you can PM me and I can try to help you out with an arrow build in your desired arrow weight.

Last edited:

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is your bow is plenty. The new 31.5 I just shot yesterday, great bow too.

I’d never switch bows right before a big hunt.

I’d look to work on tangible things equipment wise to facilitate a better shot.

Starting with arrow and broadhead, incline and decline practice.

I’d look for an arrow to battle wind, thin outside diameter but hefty, like a Easton FMJ 5mm. A tough fixed broadhead and practice hard with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I'd spend the time you are spending asking questions on the internet either at the range or on the stair climber. You are fine. Sheep are pretty soft.

I’ve arrowed 5 rams. They are relatively soft and about deer size. I’ve had great luck with Easton Injexion 330s, Firenock outsert’s, 3 Blazer vanes and 3-blade NAP original 1.5” Spitfire heads. 475 gr total weight, 29” draw 65# Prime Rival shot through my Dall and went 40 yds beyond. You definitely want a forgiving setup as Beendare says. Mine is, but a Hoyt Carbon Element was not for me. Too light, too short with jumpy cams. Good luck!

Sleorna

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking for a sheep pack, I would be interested in your triax.

As for archery sheep, getting there, staying there, and being there I think are the things you should be most worried about rather than the shot which will only happen if you did the first three. I'd upgrade gear to make those happen before I bought a new bow/arrow setup. Just my opinion. Good luck