Max Effective Range for Elk: 7-08, 6.5C, and 308

BCD

WKR
Looking at these three calibers for an elk rifle. What would you say the max effective range is for each?

Article 4

WKR
Much debate in what I am about to share as my opinion but there is some field experience involved in there too. Always believe that bigger and faster rounds are better for big game, that said, I also believe energy and penetration ability at longer ranges is important.
I look at max effective range as the amount of energy - which can equate to amount of penetration - which should exceed 1000lbs.
Answer = whatever caliber, speed, and bullet size you choose to achieve that within the given distance

nobody

WKR
It is 100% dependent upon what projectile you were planning to shoot out of each of them. Every projectile on the market has a minimum expansion, velocity threshold, so you can increase or decrease the performance of any cartridge simply by changing projectiles.

If you are shooting some like an ELDX or ELDM, the minimum expansion velocity threshold on those bullets is around 1800 ft./s, independent of whatever cartridge it is being shot out of. So the maximum effective range of a cartridge shooting one of those bullets would be whatever distance the bullet reaches 1800 ft./s.

If you are shooting a monolithic projectile, such as a Barnes LRX or TTSX, the minimum expansion velocity is about 2200 ft./s on those. So you could take the same cartridge and decrease it effective terminal performance distance, simply by changing to one of the Barnes Bullets.

The only metric that truly matters is the minimum expansion velocity threshold. You could shoot a 50 BMG at elk (mucho energy), but not have it kill effectively if you use the wrong projectile or if you cross below the minimum expansion velocity threshold of the projectile you are using. Energy doesn’t matter, velocity is what determines whether or not the bullet will perform as designed. So, the exact answer to your question is a little bit convoluted and dependent upon several other variables.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Projectile and length of barrel to get to the optimal velocity where the bullet will still disrupt as intended, 20” 6.5 takes me out to 670 yards or so, 16” 6.5 around 600 yards , 22” 308 with 155 sst’s I think I’m 575 yards . 16” .308 with 168 eld-m takes me to 450 yards or so. This is with those particular rounds, eld-x, eld-m or sst’s dropping below 1800 fps

mlob1one

WKR
My kids and I have shot several cow elk (5) out to 575 yards with the 7mm-08 using 140gr accubonds with very good results. The farthest we've had to track is 50 yards. One soon has taken a bull at ~375 with the same bullet and dropped just under 100 yards. We really like that caliber out to 600 yards and in fair conditions.
All three of those calibers will perform well to different distances on big game. I grew up behind a .308, and of the three, all things being equal, it has the highest felt recoil.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

you can manipulate the bullet and powder choice in each cartridge to drastically change the “max effective range” of each.

A high BC bullet with a low minimum velocity for terminal performance makes the max effective range a heck of a lot better than a hard mono with a shitty BC.

Example: 308 shooting a 168 barnes TTSX @2700 FPS (barnes box velocity) runs out of velocity for good terminal performance (below 2200 fps) around 300 yards and a 168 ELDm at the same muzzle velocity would make it to 600 yards with enough velocity to expect good terminal performance (1800 fps). So does a 308 "have a max effective range" of 300 or 600 yards? A 6.5 creedmoor and a 7/08 can push 147 and 162 ELDs respectively at similar velocities but with higher BCs and will carry velocity notably further than a 168 308 ELDm.

Bullets matter more than headstamps.

Last edited:
Much debate in what I am about to share as my opinion but there is some field experience involved in there too. Always believe that bigger and faster rounds are better for big game, that said, I also believe energy and penetration ability at longer ranges is important.
I look at max effective range as the amount of energy - which can equate to amount of penetration - which should exceed 1000lbs.
Answer = whatever caliber, speed, and bullet size you choose to achieve that within the given distance

That doesn't make much sense when in many cases longer range = lower velocity (and in turn lower energy) = less bullet disruption = deeper penetration. So more energy actually results in less penetration in many cases..

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a totally non-expert chart of my findings in 2023 testing out a new Savage 110 Storm in 7-08. I purchased a lot of various brands and bullet weights, these were the top contenders. The Hornady ELD-M was reference, not fired.

In addition to these I fired 20 rounds each of Winchester Deer Season 140s and Norma 150s, both of which were excellent in accuracy and averaged close to on-the-box velocity. I settled on the Copper Creek custom loads for the 145 LRX, which was consistently 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards for me. The Copper Creek 150s were hole-on-hole but I opted for more 'range' with the 145s.

I chronographed all of these loads for at least 10 rounds, some to 15 or 20 for averages. Anyone could mock up a spreadsheet to do the same thing. My sheet is a 'workbook' with drop charts and lots more information. It was mind-numbing at times but it helped kill time over the summer preparing for the hunt and figuring out what my new rifle liked best.

*all numbers were derived using the Hornady calculators based on my chronograph velocity findings.

Attachments

• 7-08_test_ballistics.jpg
    7-08_test_ballistics.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Article 4

WKR
That doesn't make much sense when in many cases longer range = lower velocity (and in turn lower energy) = less bullet disruption = deeper penetration. So more energy actually results in less penetration in many cases..
Ok, I hear you. Different bullets fly, expand, and penetrate at different rates. Longer range does = lower velocity but bullet disruption again, is a moving target.

Why I use the constant of 1000lbs of energy threshold in an elk. No matter what else is going on with variable like stated above transferring that amount of energy in the vitals helps to ensure a dead elk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Why I use the constant of 1000lbs of energy threshold in an elk. No matter what else is going on with variable like stated above transferring that amount of energy in the vitals helps to ensure a dead elk

No it doesn’t. And a bullet having a 1,000ft-lbs of energy at impact doesn’t tell you a single thing about what that bullet will do in tissue, and consequently how much tissue will be destroyed. Ft-lbs of energy as a wounding mechanism is complete fuddlore and devoid if objective terminal ballistics reality.

nobody

WKR
Ok, I hear you. Different bullets fly, expand, and penetrate at different rates. Longer range does = lower velocity but bullet disruption again, is a moving target.

That doesn’t make any sense to me. Based on that logic, you’d be ok shooting a 165 grain Barnes TTSX to a distance where it’s moving at 1650 FPS (which is almost right at 998 ft/lbs of energy), but is WELL below that bullets minimum impact velocity (2200 FPS MIMINUM). Even a 165 grain Hornady SST moving that fast likely won’t upset, as the minimum impact velocity needed for upset of that bullet is 1800 FPS.

In other words, based on your logic, you’d still shoot an elk with either of those bullets, sheerly because you’re above 1k ft/lbs of energy, even though neither Barnes nor Hornady thinks their bullets will upset appropriately at that threshold.

At that velocity, the Barnes is essentially an FMJ. But it has 1k ft/lbs of energy, so should we be ok hunting with FMJ’s then?

Article 4

WKR
No it doesn’t. And a bullet having a 1,000ft-lbs of energy at impact doesn’t tell you a single thing about what that bullet will do in tissue, and consequently how much tissue will be destroyed. Ft-lbs of energy as a wounding mechanism is complete fuddlore and devoid if objective terminal ballistics reality.
Opinions vary

Article 4

WKR
That doesn’t make any sense to me. Based on that logic, you’d be ok shooting a 165 grain Barnes TTSX to a distance where it’s moving at 1650 FPS (which is almost right at 998 ft/lbs of energy), but is WELL below that bullets minimum impact velocity (2200 FPS MIMINUM). Even a 165 grain Hornady SST moving that fast likely won’t upset, as the minimum impact velocity needed for upset of that bullet is 1800 FPS.

In other words, based on your logic, you’d still shoot an elk with either of those bullets, sheerly because you’re above 1k ft/lbs of energy, even though neither Barnes nor Hornady thinks their bullets will upset appropriately at that threshold.

At that velocity, the Barnes is essentially an FMJ. But it has 1k ft/lbs of energy, so should we be ok hunting with FMJ’s then?
Sorry you don’t understand and it doesn’t make sense to you. Do your thing.
Cheers

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
With all day to set up my shot, off my bench, on bags...I dropped a elk cow at 552 yards. She barely felt it, hardly a twitch. Took a couple of steps and fell over. I was shooting a 6.5Creed. 143ELDX. I won't ever shoot that far at a elk with a 6.5 Creedmore again. I double lunged her and punched her heart broadside. Who's complaining? My GF and I have been dropping cow elk, two a year for the last six years all within 300 yards with no problems with Creedmore 6.5's....that being said I traded that creedmore for a 6.5PRC after my 550 yard shot. I needed a bit more pepper. ...Where we hunt is off my deck. I have gongs placed every 100 yards out to 1000 across my hay field. I'm blessed, I know. That being said...outside of 350 yards I'm wanting more than a Creedmore 6.5.-WW
ps. I just picked up a new Marlin 45-70, I'm gonna see what 405 grain cast bullets do inside of 200 yards.

Article 4

WKR
Ok? Care to educate us? What does 1k ft/lbs of energy do to bullet performance?
I’ll give you a couple explanations.

One includes many experts who are misinterpreting newtons law talking about equal and opposite reactions. They’ll tell you it matters not in animals however when we look at jell targets, the internal wound channel of fast and energetic projectiles is massive because of the energy displacing the jell. That energy ruptures blood vessels, and blows organs open or what hunters call “a pile of mush”. A single bullet hole that does not contain any energy would not do more than poking a single hole in something. Does the hole cause death, sometimes. Take an APDST round from a tank.

We know from military testing that high speed rounds that do not expand penetrate armor very effectively and make a hole. That in itself does not kill a tank. The kinetic ENERGY it produces causes massive shrapnel and internal damage. Killing the people and causing everything in the tank to melt down and sometimes ignite. Testing was done in 113’s filled with sheep. Human and animals bodies are 70% water, the internal shock wave carrying the kinetic energy from the round caused massive damage without the bullet making a hole in each of the sheep. Dead sheep

Energy matters.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ll give you a couple explanations.

One includes many experts who are misinterpreting newtons law talking about equal and opposite reactions. They’ll tell you it matters not in animals however when we look at jell targets, the internal wound channel of fast and energetic projectiles is massive because of the energy displacing the jell. That energy ruptures blood vessels, and blows organs open or what hunters call “a pile of mush”. A single bullet hole that does not contain any energy would not do more than poking a single hole in something. Does the hole cause death, sometimes. Take an APDST round from a tank.

We know from military testing that high speed rounds that do not expand penetrate armor very effectively and make a hole. That in itself does not kill a tank. The kinetic ENERGY it produces causes massive shrapnel and internal damage. Killing the people and causing everything in the tank to melt down and sometimes ignite. Testing was done in 113’s filled with sheep. Human and animals bodies are 70% water, the internal shock wave carrying the kinetic energy from the round caused massive damage without the bullet making a hole in each of the sheep. Dead sheep

Energy matters.
Not sure if comparing slab sided ungulates to armored personnel carriers or Tanks is really apples to apples

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Opinions vary

It not opinion. It’s the whole of legitimate, medical terminal ballistics research.

Here’s a few of the relevant papers that you can google.

Lindsey D: The idolatry of velocity, or lies, damn lies, and ballistics.

Swan KG, Swan RC, Levine MG, Rocko JM: The US M-16 rifle versus the Russian AK-47 rifle

Ordog GJ, Wassererger J, Balasubramanium S: Am Emer Med

GM, Sim FH: Missile wounds of the extremities: A current concepts review. Orthopedics

Barach E, Tomlanovich M, Nowak R: Ballistics: A pathophysiologic examination of the wounding mechanisms of firearms, Part I. J Trauma Part II. J Trauma

Newman D, Yardley M: New generation small arms ammunition

Lindsey D: The idolatry of velocity, or lies, damn lies, and ballistics. J Trauma

Swan KG: Misile injuries: Wound ballistics and principles of management. Milit Med

Fackler ML, Surinchak JS, Malinowski JA, Bowen RE: Bullet fragmentation: A major cause of tissue disruption. J Trauma

Fackler ML, Surinchak JS, Malinowski JA, Bowen RE: Wounding potential of the Russian AK-74 assault rifle. J Trauma 1984:24:263-256.
Lindsey D: The idolatry of velocity, or lies, damn lies, and ballistics. J Trauma

Fackler ML, Maiinowski JA: The wound profile: A visual method for quantifying gunshot wound components. J Trauma

Fackler ML, Bellamy RF, Malinowski JA: Wounding mechanism of projectiles striking at over 1.5 km/sec. J Trauma

Fackler ML: Ballistic injury. Am Emerg Med

Fackler ML: Wound ballistics, in Trunkey DD, Lewis FR (eds.): Current Therapy of Trauma - 2, Toronto, BC Decker Inc

Fackler ML: Physics of penetrating trauma, in McSwain NE Jr, Kerstein MD (eds.): Evaluation and Management of Trauma, Norwalk, Conn, Appleton, Century, Crofts Inc.,

Kocher T: Ueber die Sprengwirkung der Modernen Kleingewehr-geschosse. Correspondenz-Blatt fuer Schweitzer Aerzte

Kocher T: Neue Beitraege zur Kenntnis der Wirkungsweise der Modernen Klein-gewehr-geschosse. Correspondenz-Blatt fuer Schweitzer Aerzte

Kocher T: Ueber Schusswunden. Experimentalle Untersuchunaen ueber die Wirkungsweise der Modernen Klein-ewehr-eschosse. Leipzig, Verlag von FCW Vogel

Kocher T: Die Veresserung der Geschosse von Standpunkte der Humanitaet. 11th International Medical Congress, Rome. 29 March-5 April, 1894;

Kocher T: Zur Lehre von den Schusswunden durch Kleinkaliber-geschosse. Cassel, Th.G. Fisher & Co

Bruchey WJ Jr: mmunition for law enforcement: Part I, Methodology for evaluating relative stopping power and results. Ballistics Research Laboratory Technical Report TR-02199, Aberdeen Proving Ground,

Bruchey WJ Jr, Frank DE: Police Handgun Ammunition Incapacitation effects, National Institute of Justice Rep 100-83. Washington, DC, US Govt Printing Office, 1984, Vol I: Evaluation.

Ragsdale BD: Gunshot wounds: A historical perspective. Milit Med

Harvey EN, Korr IM, Oster G, McMillen JH: Secondary damage in wounding due to pressure changes accompanying the passage of high velocity missiles. Surgery

Kahnosi RJ, Lingemen JE, Coury TA, Steele RA, Mosbaugh PG: Combined percutaneous and extracorporeal shoc wave lithotripsy for staghorn calculi: An alternative to anatrophic nephrolithotomy.

Kuwahara M, Kambe K, Kurosu S, Orikasa S, Takayama K: Extracorporeal stone disintegration using chemical shock waves. J

Gill W, Long WB III: Shock Trauma Manual. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1978

Rybec B: Missile wounding and hemodynamic effects of energy absorption. Acta Chir Scand

Owen-Smith MS: High Velocity Missile Wounds. London, Edward Arnold

Swan KG, Swan RC: Gunshot Wounds: Pathophysiology and Management. Littleton, Mass, PSG Publishing Co.

Owen T, Piecuch T, Domaniecki J, Badowski A: Mechanisms of development of shot wounds caused by missiles of different initial velocity

Litwin MS: Trauma: Management of the acutely injured patient, in Sabiston C Jr (ed): Davis- Christoher Textbook of Surgery, ed 12. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co

Whelan TJ Jr: Missile-caused wounds, in Emergency War Surgery--NATO Handbook, 1st US Revision. Washington, DC, Government Printing Office

Marcus MA, Blair WF, Shuck JM, Omer GE: Low-velocity gunshot wounds to extremities.

Morgan MM, Spencer AD, Hershey FB: Debridement of civilian gunshot wounds of soft tissue.

Harvey EN: Studies on wound ballistics, in Andrus CE, Bronk DW, Corden GA Jr, et al (eds): Advances in Military Medicine. Boston, Little, Brown

Dziemian AJ, Mendelson JA, Lindsey D: Comparison of the wounding characteristics of some commonly encountered bullets.

Mendelson JA, Glover JL: Sphere and shell fragment wounds of soft tissues: Experimental study.

Hopkinson DAW, Watts JC: Studies in experimental missile injuries of skeletal muscle.

Fackler ML, Breteau JPL, Courbil LJ, Taxit R, Glas J, Fievet JP: Open wound drainage versus wound excision on the modern battlefield. Letterman Army Institute of Research, Presidio of San Francisco, CA (in press)

Breadue JPL, Fackler ML, Taxit R, Courbil LJ: Trajet lesionnel ou nWound Profile" et vasomotricite cutanee. in Travaux Scientifiaues des Chercheurs du S S A durant l'Annee 1986. Direction Centrale de Service de Sante des Armees, Paris, Republique Francaise Ministre de la Defense, 1987.

Dimond FC Jr, Rich NM: M-16 rifle wounds in Vietnam.

Dudley HAF, Rnight RJ, McNeur JC, Rosengarten DS: Civilian battle casualties in South Vietnam.

LaGarde LA: Characteristic lesions caused by projectiles, in Gunshot Injuries. 2nd revised edition. New York, William Wood and Co

Borden WC: Military surgery. Proc Milit Surg

Amato JJ, Rich NM, Billy LJ, Gruber RP, Lawson NS: High-velocity arterial injury: A study of the mechanism of injury.

Belkin M: Wound ballistics. Prog Sur

Rich NM, Spencer F: Experimental arterial trauma, in Vascular Trauma. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co

Herget CM: Wound ballistics, in Bowers WB: Surgery of Trauma. Philadelphia, JB Lippincott Co

Pavletic MM: Gunshot wounds in veterinary medicine: Projectile ballistics -- Part II. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian

Scott R: Proiectile Trauma an Enquiry into Bullet Wounds. Trauma Unit, Chem Defence Establishment, Porton Down, England

Bellamy RF: Department o Military Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Medical School, Bethesda, Md, personal communication

Hopkinson DAW, Marshall TK: Firearm injuries. Br

French RW, Callender GR: Ballistic characteristics of wounding agents, in Beyer JC (ed): Wound Ballistics. Washington, DC, Office of the Surgeon General, Dept of the Army

Amato JJ, Rich NM: Temporary cavity effects in blood vessel injury by high velocity missiles.

Wang ZG, Feng JX, Liu YQ: Pathomorphological observations of gunshot wounds.

Kokinakis W, Neades D, Piddington M, Roecker E: A gelatin energy methodology for estimating vulnerability of personnel to military rifle systems.

Janzon B, Seeman T: Muscle devitalization in high energy missile wounds, and its dependence on energy transfer.

Berlin R, Janzon B, Rybec B, Sandegard J, Seeman T: Local effects of assault rifle bullets in live tissues.

Wang ZG, Qian CW, Zhan DC, Shi TZ, Tang CG: Pathological changes of gunshot wounds at various intervals after wounding.

Ziervogel JF: A study of muscle damage caused by the 7.62 NATO rifle.

Ferguson LK, Brown RB, Nicholson JT, Stedman HE: Observations on the treatment of battle wounds aboard a hospital ship.

Ireland MW, Callender GR, Coupal JF: The Medical Department of the US Army in World War I. Washington, DC

Hardaway RM III: Vietnam wound analysis.

Janzon G: High energy missile trauma. Department of Surgery II, University of Goteborg

Fackler ML: Tissue simulants: Use and misuse.

Dugas R, D'Ambrosia R: Civilian gunshot wounds.

Albreht MA: Data presented at the 5th International Wound Ballistics Symposium, Goteborg, Sweden

Stolinski DC: Stopping power--a physician's report, in Bell EG

Last edited:

Article 4

WKR
It not opinion. It’s the whole of legitimate, medical terminal ballistics research.

Here’s a few of the relevant papers that you can google.

Lindsey D: The idolatry of velocity, or lies, damn lies, and ballistics.

Swan KG, Swan RC, Levine MG, Rocko JM: The US M-16 rifle versus the Russian AK-47 rifle

Ordog GJ, Wassererger J, Balasubramanium S: Am Emer Med

GM, Sim FH: Missile wounds of the extremities: A current concepts review. Orthopedics

Barach E, Tomlanovich M, Nowak R: Ballistics: A pathophysiologic examination of the wounding mechanisms of firearms, Part I. J Trauma Part II. J Trauma

Newman D, Yardley M: New generation small arms ammunition

Swan KG: Misile injuries: Wound ballistics and principles of management. Milit Med

Fackler ML, Surinchak JS, Malinowski JA, Bowen RE: Bullet fragmentation: A major cause of tissue disruption. J Trauma

Fackler ML, Surinchak JS, Malinowski JA, Bowen RE: Wounding potential of the Russian AK-74 assault rifle. J Trauma 1984:24:263-256.

Fackler ML, Maiinowski JA: The wound profile: A visual method for quantifying gunshot wound components. J Trauma

Fackler ML, Bellamy RF, Malinowski JA: Wounding mechanism of projectiles striking at over 1.5 km/sec. J Trauma

Fackler ML: Ballistic injury. Am Emerg Med

Fackler ML: Wound ballistics, in Trunkey DD, Lewis FR (eds.): Current Therapy of Trauma - 2, Toronto, BC Decker Inc

Fackler ML: Physics of penetrating trauma, in McSwain NE Jr, Kerstein MD (eds.): Evaluation and Management of Trauma, Norwalk, Conn, Appleton, Century, Crofts Inc.,

Kocher T: Ueber die Sprengwirkung der Modernen Kleingewehr-geschosse. Correspondenz-Blatt fuer Schweitzer Aerzte

Kocher T: Neue Beitraege zur Kenntnis der Wirkungsweise der Modernen Klein-gewehr-geschosse. Correspondenz-Blatt fuer Schweitzer Aerzte

Kocher T: Ueber Schusswunden. Experimentalle Untersuchunaen ueber die Wirkungsweise der Modernen Klein-ewehr-eschosse. Leipzig, Verlag von FCW Vogel

Kocher T: Die Veresserung der Geschosse von Standpunkte der Humanitaet. 11th International Medical Congress, Rome. 29 March-5 April, 1894;

Kocher T: Zur Lehre von den Schusswunden durch Kleinkaliber-geschosse. Cassel, Th.G. Fisher & Co

Bruchey WJ Jr: mmunition for law enforcement: Part I, Methodology for evaluating relative stopping power and results. Ballistics Research Laboratory Technical Report TR-02199, Aberdeen Proving Ground,

Bruchey WJ Jr, Frank DE: Police Handgun Ammunition Incapacitation effects, National Institute of Justice Rep 100-83. Washington, DC, US Govt Printing Office, 1984, Vol I: Evaluation.

Ragsdale BD: Gunshot wounds: A historical perspective. Milit Med

Harvey EN, Korr IM, Oster G, McMillen JH: Secondary damage in wounding due to pressure changes accompanying the passage of high velocity missiles. Surgery

Kahnosi RJ, Lingemen JE, Coury TA, Steele RA, Mosbaugh PG: Combined percutaneous and extracorporeal shoc wave lithotripsy for staghorn calculi: An alternative to anatrophic nephrolithotomy.

Kuwahara M, Kambe K, Kurosu S, Orikasa S, Takayama K: Extracorporeal stone disintegration using chemical shock waves. J

Gill W, Long WB III: Shock Trauma Manual. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1978

Rybec B: Missile wounding and hemodynamic effects of energy absorption. Acta Chir Scand

Owen-Smith MS: High Velocity Missile Wounds. London, Edward Arnold

Swan KG, Swan RC: Gunshot Wounds: Pathophysiology and Management. Littleton, Mass, PSG Publishing Co.

Owen T, Piecuch T, Domaniecki J, Badowski A: Mechanisms of development of shot wounds caused by missiles of different initial velocity

Litwin MS: Trauma: Management of the acutely injured patient, in Sabiston C Jr (ed): Davis- Christoher Textbook of Surgery, ed 12. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co

Whelan TJ Jr: Missile-caused wounds, in Emergency War Surgery--NATO Handbook, 1st US Revision. Washington, DC, Government Printing Office

Marcus MA, Blair WF, Shuck JM, Omer GE: Low-velocity gunshot wounds to extremities.

Morgan MM, Spencer AD, Hershey FB: Debridement of civilian gunshot wounds of soft tissue.

Harvey EN: Studies on wound ballistics, in Andrus CE, Bronk DW, Corden GA Jr, et al (eds): Advances in Military Medicine. Boston, Little, Brown

Dziemian AJ, Mendelson JA, Lindsey D: Comparison of the wounding characteristics of some commonly encountered bullets.

Mendelson JA, Glover JL: Sphere and shell fragment wounds of soft tissues: Experimental study.

Hopkinson DAW, Watts JC: Studies in experimental missile injuries of skeletal muscle.

Fackler ML, Breteau JPL, Courbil LJ, Taxit R, Glas J, Fievet JP: Open wound drainage versus wound excision on the modern battlefield. Letterman Army Institute of Research, Presidio of San Francisco, CA (in press)

Breadue JPL, Fackler ML, Taxit R, Courbil LJ: Trajet lesionnel ou nWound Profile" et vasomotricite cutanee. in Travaux Scientifiaues des Chercheurs du S S A durant l'Annee 1986. Direction Centrale de Service de Sante des Armees, Paris, Republique Francaise Ministre de la Defense, 1987.

Dimond FC Jr, Rich NM: M-16 rifle wounds in Vietnam.

Dudley HAF, Rnight RJ, McNeur JC, Rosengarten DS: Civilian battle casualties in South Vietnam.

LaGarde LA: Characteristic lesions caused by projectiles, in Gunshot Injuries. 2nd revised edition. New York, William Wood and Co

Borden WC: Military surgery. Proc Milit Surg

Amato JJ, Rich NM, Billy LJ, Gruber RP, Lawson NS: High-velocity arterial injury: A study of the mechanism of injury.

Belkin M: Wound ballistics. Prog Sur

Rich NM, Spencer F: Experimental arterial trauma, in Vascular Trauma. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co

Herget CM: Wound ballistics, in Bowers WB: Surgery of Trauma. Philadelphia, JB Lippincott Co

Pavletic MM: Gunshot wounds in veterinary medicine: Projectile ballistics -- Part II. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian

Scott R: Proiectile Trauma an Enquiry into Bullet Wounds. Trauma Unit, Chem Defence Establishment, Porton Down, England

Bellamy RF: Department o Military Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Medical School, Bethesda, Md, personal communication

Hopkinson DAW, Marshall TK: Firearm injuries. Br

French RW, Callender GR: Ballistic characteristics of wounding agents, in Beyer JC (ed): Wound Ballistics. Washington, DC, Office of the Surgeon General, Dept of the Army

Amato JJ, Rich NM: Temporary cavity effects in blood vessel injury by high velocity missiles.

Wang ZG, Feng JX, Liu YQ: Pathomorphological observations of gunshot wounds.

Kokinakis W, Neades D, Piddington M, Roecker E: A gelatin energy methodology for estimating vulnerability of personnel to military rifle systems.

Janzon B, Seeman T: Muscle devitalization in high energy missile wounds, and its dependence on energy transfer.

Berlin R, Janzon B, Rybec B, Sandegard J, Seeman T: Local effects of assault rifle bullets in live tissues.

Wang ZG, Qian CW, Zhan DC, Shi TZ, Tang CG: Pathological changes of gunshot wounds at various intervals after wounding.

Ziervogel JF: A study of muscle damage caused by the 7.62 NATO rifle.

Ferguson LK, Brown RB, Nicholson JT, Stedman HE: Observations on the treatment of battle wounds aboard a hospital ship.

Ireland MW, Callender GR, Coupal JF: The Medical Department of the US Army in World War I. Washington, DC

Hardaway RM III: Vietnam wound analysis.

Janzon G: High energy missile trauma. Department of Surgery II, University of Goteborg

Fackler ML: Tissue simulants: Use and misuse.

Dugas R, D'Ambrosia R: Civilian gunshot wounds.

Albreht MA: Data presented at the 5th International Wound Ballistics Symposium, Goteborg, Sweden

Stolinski DC: Stopping power--a physician's report, in Bell EG
Awesome. Give me 2 minutes to read them all and get back to you 😁😆😛