Missouri Ozarks Rokslide Rally & Turkey Hunt

Updated some info in the initial post to consolidate links/resources.

Kebler- Sounds good, man. Holler at me if you need anything.

Good to know cwoodyt87!

Oh there's steam alright! Current preliminary head count is 8 or more, and rising. It's gonna be a good time regardless. Hunting till 1pm and fishing, hiking, gear showing and sorry telling the rest of the day...

Last edited:
Ran around at Lead Mine for a little while today. The state has put a lot of work into this area over the last few years. The camping area at the main river access is plenty big for as many people as we can get to come. The boat ramp is in great shape, so you shouldn't have any trouble there, River Rat.

Bear and I are going to do fire roasted chicken legs for everyone there on Saturday night, since that will probably be the night when the most people are there. He has a home made open fire grill contraption that is amazing for such an event. If anyone can roger up for something like a big can of baked beans, paper plates, plastic utensils and/or whatever else, that would be great. However, chicken grilled over an open fire is plenty appetizing by itself.

There are two stores nearby. One is Amish operated, but I'm not sure about the other. The Amish store is basically a small scale grocery store and has an awesome deli. The other one has a cafe as well as general store. There is a strong population of Amish in the immediate vicinity, so be mindful of pedestrians (in seemingly odd/remote places) and horse drawn buggies.

I just joined Rokslide today. A guy on archerytalk told me about the site. I had never heard of it. Pretty cool site. I am usually on archerytalk and bowsite.I joined with the purpose of trying to find someone to carpool with out to the great west to chase elk this fall. I live in Bolivar..not very far from Leadmine. I have actually rode horses in packed mules in there a couple of years ago in preparation for the mountains. My buddy I have hunted with the last 5 years is saying he may not go this year since they just had their 5th kid. I took off work the first week of turkey season this year. Hopefully I will have my tag filled by that weekend but I would not mind going to camp, float, or call for someone.

And Piilgrim..."keep your powder dry"..,Jeremiah Johnson is one of my favorite movies. I own it and watch it once a year.

Last edited:
Jlbmlb4, you've found the right place. I live in Buffalo, so we should steer our paths to cross sometime. Scoop up a couple buddies and come out to the rally and camp on Saturday night, y'all will be glad you did. If you have to come by yourself, do it. Perfect opportunity to cross paths!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I did not know there were any hardcore elk guys in MO. Other than my hunting buddy, everyone that I know around here are camp at truck and walk a mile kind of guys. I plan to go and will see if my buddy wants to go. Maybe I will find someone who wants to carpool out this fall. I am planning to go 2nd week in September. I bombed the draw for WY and have applied to UT but only have 7 points there....so slim chance for Bookcliffs archery. I plan to apply for NM, ID, and CO. If no luck then either ID or CO OTC. I have hunted WY 2 years, CO 3yrs, and ID last year. I plan to make the voyage by myself this year unless I can find someone in shape with the drive and gear to go on an adventure. I sold my horse and mule last fall so I will be on foot or MTB(30 days style). I decided the yearly up keep and the headache of maintaining equine in the backcountry for a week just wasn't worth it( except when you kill then it is the cats meow).. Every time I leave the mountains I look forward to my next return by the time my truck starts heading east. I would live out there if I did not have family ties here. I look forward to meeting some guys from the state with the same addiction. Unless someone has been out chasing elk in the backcountry for 10 days straight they just don't understand.

Does anyone going have a Kifaru backpack? I would like to check one out and see what all the hype is about. I am thinking about upgrading my 7yo Eberlestock J107. It has been a good pack and wore well but it does wear on the shoulders with my longer torso.

JL, good to see you made it over here. I won't make the meet up but if your ever in KC hit me up and I'll show you my pack or hit up colonel00 and he would probably show you his. Trust me though, it is way better then the eberlestock, we'll worth the investment.

Back