Mountain boots

Mulemania

FNG
Ok here’s the deal, I’ve worn meindls my whole life, I have 6 pairs, (get them through work). I decided I wanted to try a much stiffer boot, the last couple years my approaches have been very very aggressive and the meindls wouldn’t side hill or toe in the way I wanted. After a pile of research I went out and bought some lasportiva Nepal exo gtx boots.... they are incredibly stiff, they make side hilling a joke and you can walk up a steep face like your on stairs, on flat ground they have a very nice rocker design so it’s smooth to walk not like ski boots or other mountaineering boots... my question is, is there any downside to wearing a boot that stiff for a multiple day trip, they are very comfortable also.

Mt_elk

FNG
People seem to love them if the fit is right. My foot tends to like a more flexible boot, stiffer ones tend to give me some heel rub. My feet are pretty F'ed up tho.

Stability on hard ground and trails. Also agility and navigating quietly. Because of the extra height and narrower soles of a true mountaineering boot, designed for snow and loose ground, it’s easier to make a wrong step and roll ankle on hard ground. You really have to be precise and lay your foot down parallel.

I have a pair of Lowa Mtn Experts which have a nice rocker too. I love them for late season and really rugged terrain but they suck on the trail. So it depends where I hunt. If i know it’s a 8mile hike in on a trail before I get to area, I go with a 3/4 shank boot. My feet get more fatigued from having the unnatural step/stride required by a full shank boot even with a rocker for a majority of the hunt.

If it’s rugged steep terrain for a majority right out of the truck Im going with full shank boot. Love them, just another tool with a specific use.