MSR Trailshot for overnighters.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious who has used the MSR Trailshot for filtering water and their experience. Obviously it will be more difficult then my hiker pro I use now, but curious about your experience. I'm the guy that goes through 3-4 liters a day easily as well. Just trying to save a little weight and space in the pack this year and this is a easy way to trim some fat.

Thank All!

BBob

WKR
I have a Trailshot and used it for a couple of years but switched to a small BeFree. I’m using the .6L but they now make a 1L which I’d probably consider if I were buying now. The Trailshot is now a backup kept in the truck box. BF rolls up small with no hose to deal with. Easier to squeeze the BF bag with one or two hands than to squeeze the TS over and over with your fingers. You can drink straight from it or fill another bottle. The BF is always in the top pocket of my pack. I’m going on 3 seasons with the BF and I don’t see myself switching back. We’re actually going to use a gravity BeFree this year when it’s two of us in high country elk. I’ll still carry my small one for daily use.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
BBob I look into that one. Seems very light as well. Some of the places I hunt have very small water sources, so would you think I would have to dig down be able to fill up the dirty bag on the BeFree? One of the only reason I've used a pump all these years.

I think that TrailShot is nice for pumping out of tiny little puddles. Sometimes I've had to scoop with my cup and dump into a dirty bag, not ideal.

If you have access to lots of clean water but still want to save weight/space, you could "filter" through a hankerchief into your Nalgene and then just add tablets. That'd be faster and lighter than the TrailShot.

I would say it isn’t a bad option especially if you want soemthing light, but As noted, the pump is a bit of a pain in the ass. For light short solo trips I tend to favor a steripen or iodine or other tabs. I have thought about buying or rigging it a light gravity system with a dirty bag and some adapters. I am just not sure how much weight it would save over a my platypus system that I favor for multiple people.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
That's kinda where I'm at too...Actually how much weight would it save? My hiker pro which is bomb proof and proven effective comes in at 14oz with the bag and small attachments I prefer. The MSR is 5oz. Im always tinkering with gear, and trying to lighten things up it places I can why still carrying some of the luxury items I like.

I used a trailshot last year and it worked fine. Takes longer than I like to fill up my Nalgene and bladder, so I think I'm going to try a steripen this year. I will take the trailshot again this year, but as a backup, and I'll be adding a float to the hose so that I'm not sucking up gunk off the bottom of the creeks like last year.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Used one - worked great but harder to prime, started to take forever. Went to a be free and life is way easier and faster cleaning water……still have the trail shot but I don’t pack it now.

eamyrick

WKR
Had one and it maybe lasted 3 days before it was pumping a rain drop worth per squeeze. I much prefer a Sawyer mini with tabs as a backup.

I have one and like it. It does take a bit longer. Key is to actually read the instructions and backwash it properly.

Northpark

WKR
Backwash properly and works fine. I use mine typically out of small springs in the desert while hunting coues deer