New Mexico Elk Draw 2022

I’d like to see a huge group (like forum members from sites like this) pool resources and lobby states and fight back against the outfitter allocations. It would likely improve the quality of everything, Shopping for an outfitter with a tag in your hand would put more control back to the end user where it should be anyway.

Allocation has been a “sticky” issue in NM for years. The State has to look at what is the best allocation and number of tags to support the resource while maintaining hunt quality and opportunity. What we do not want here is to have a hunter behind every tree like in some other states. Yet, hunting opportunity has to remain to be a cardinal issue. New Mexico is known as a “quality” elk hunting state. I don’t think anyone wants that to change.

Federal lands are owned by the public so there should be a number of tags available to non-residents. Robertson Pittman funds are available to the states, but New Mexicans pay a huge amount of money to support the management of the elk on public lands. If you want changes to tag allocation, then the best way is to contact a large organization like the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation or some other large lobby. Those organizations actually hire resource managers and scientists who develop management plans and datasets that are presented to the state game commissions.

Outfitters play a role and also have a stake in the management of the resource. They have their own lobby as well. Personally, I would like to see more tags go to disabled military veterans across the board. I think New Mexico does well with youth hunting opportunity, but could do more for the disabled and senior citizens in general. I don’t expect any major changes to the system any time soon. Maybe that is a good thing, I don’t know. Good luck to everyone....I’ll put my money on a week from today.

I bet everyone sees this post hoping for someone to say results are posted. They will say “pending” no matter how many times you check until Mid to late this coming week. They did somewhat show a tag (if drawn) in the NMDFG app last year if you selected E-Tag option the night before they posted results to the website.

All the elk in NM have moved to Colorado.
Ha I saw the exact opposite last year. They’ve moved to unit 50, 51 and 52. Damndest thing I ever saw. 1000 head of elk running across the prairie toward the Rio Grande Gorge. They’ve vacated 80/81 in CO for browner pastures in NM

The reality is alot more people have less money. A lot more people can't spend $5/gallon on fuel to drive 1000 miles. I have over $6000 NM dollars on my CC. If that doesn't work, I also have an OTC tag in CO.

you all are going to think im crazy, but im hoping i dont draw due to pulling a LE montana tag with the same season dates as the tags I put in for in NM. I know all my fault and if I did happen to draw I would try like hell to at least make it down for a few days of hunting.

Dear Diary, I looked at the NMDGF website again to see if draw results were posted. It was only the 4th time this week, but it is only Tuesday... I just know that the more I look the quicker they will post results. That is how it works, right?
"Dear Diary,

I looked at the NMDGF website again to see if draw results were posted. It was only the 4th time today this Easter Sunday I checked, but results were not available yet.

I fear I may have to wait another week for the results to come out.

P.S. - Mother is doing well today*"

(*A tribute to @southLA from the @OG DramaLlama - AKA - JLHois
infamy.....)

Allocation has been a “sticky” issue in NM for years. The State has to look at what is the best allocation and number of tags to support the resource while maintaining hunt quality and opportunity. What we do not want here is to have a hunter behind every tree like in some other states. Yet, hunting opportunity has to remain to be a cardinal issue. New Mexico is known as a “quality” elk hunting state. I don’t think anyone wants that to change.

Federal lands are owned by the public so there should be a number of tags available to non-residents. Robertson Pittman funds are available to the states, but New Mexicans pay a huge amount of money to support the management of the elk on public lands. If you want changes to tag allocation, then the best way is to contact a large organization like the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation or some other large lobby. Those organizations actually hire resource managers and scientists who develop management plans and datasets that are presented to the state game commissions.

Outfitters play a role and also have a stake in the management of the resource. They have their own lobby as well. Personally, I would like to see more tags go to disabled military veterans across the board. I think New Mexico does well with youth hunting opportunity, but could do more for the disabled and senior citizens in general. I don’t expect any major changes to the system any time soon. Maybe that is a good thing, I don’t know. Good luck to everyone....I’ll put my money on a week from today.

I 100% oppose special tag allocations whether for youth, seniors, veterans, disabled, LEO, firefighters, teachers, TV show hunters, hunter safety instructors, farmers, doctors, etc. Offer a discount in price to a few groups but cutting to the front of the line for a tag could use up 100% of the primo tags if we want to fully respect everyone that is due some more respect. Thank you for doing your job, thank you for being the youth that are the future of hunting, thank you for having lived several decades, etc. I don't get a break on property tax, Federal tax I incur, ammunition cost at Cabela's, gasoline at the Shell station, etc. I don't get to cut to the front of the line at the Shell station, 7-11, the Post Office nor the grocery store. Again, thank all of you for what you do, will do and did.

Back