New Mexico elk outfitters?

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Guys,

A buddy and I have trips set up from now through 2021. In 2022 we are wanting to do a New Mexico elk rifle hunt. Looking to try narrowing down a list of outfitters to call vs calling 100s.

We are wanting to keep the hunt 5k or less, which seems more than doable. Will be our first elk hunt so don’t need a unit loaded with 330” bulls, but 280” plus would be nice representation of what we would be more than happy to kill.

The cost and size of bulls don’t seem like the biggest hurdle for us. My question is, which outfitters hunt units that have good odds of drawing a tag with respectable bulls?..some seem like it would be like hitting lotto to draw, while some outfitters sites claim near 100% draw through the outfitter draw.

Any info you guys have will be greatly appreciated!

Maverick940

Banned
Guys,

A buddy and I have trips set up from now through 2021. In 2022 we are wanting to do a New Mexico elk rifle hunt. Looking to try narrowing down a list of outfitters to call vs calling 100s.

We are wanting to keep the hunt 5k or less, which seems more than doable. Will be our first elk hunt so don’t need a unit loaded with 330” bulls, but 280” plus would be nice representation of what we would be more than happy to kill.

The cost and size of bulls don’t seem like the biggest hurdle for us. My question is, which outfitters hunt units that have good odds of drawing a tag with respectable bulls?..some seem like it would be like hitting lotto to draw, while some outfitters sites claim near 100% draw through the outfitter draw.

Any info you guys have will be greatly appreciated!

Justin Medina. PM me for his contact information. Good elk, quality outfit and an excellent hunter. Goes all out.

Trial153

WKR
Drawing is the hard part...even in so so units and the outfitter welfare pool the odds arent good.

Just me. I would narrow my choices down to units that you have a ..decent chance of drawing then look for outfitter that hunt those units and get on list so you can apply in the outfitter pool.

Maverick940

Banned
Matt79:

I sent a PM to you. I wasn't sure if you were asking about me or another outfitter. I figured it out, though.

He doesn't operate a lodge. It's wall-tent type stuff. Typically four-wheel-drive access. Bulls average about 320 inches for the NM outfitter I was talking about.

If you have other questions or if you need his contact info, PM me again.

Mav

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Blue Mountain Outfitters owned by Bob Atwood. Great guy, down to earth and will tell you like it is. Great setup and amenities and we really enjoyed the area. Just my two cents. The bull quality seemed great in what we saw and the quantity of bulls and cows were great. We did the second week bow hunt. With NM it is either you get a tag or you don't. Now Bob does have guaranteed tags but those are for private land hunts which usually do cost a bit more.

KHNC

WKR
Probably more like 7500-10k for NM outfitters ive seen. Also, you will probably have to purchase a Landowner tag in most units to have a for sure chance to go. Those are expensive as well.

Riplip

WKR
Plenty of good outfitters in your range. As mentioned San Francisco Outfitters, Tom Klumker does horseback trips into 16B (Gila) for $5,500.00. Not a fancy camp or lodge, but he is a good outfitter and you will get into elk. lots of good info out there if you spend some time and look at outfitter reviews. Toughest part of NM will be the draw. As mentioned above you have the option of purchasing landowner tags, but that will get you into a higher price point.

I could give you the name of the Outfitter I use. He is in that price range, but it does not include lodging or meals. Stay in a motel in Chama 10 miles from the ranch, and pay for your own meals. Private Ranch with landowner Bull Tags, guided 2 hunters per guide. I have hunted with him for 29 years. Problem is, trying to hash out a price now for the 2022 season might be hard to do, with him not knowing his cost for the landowner tags in 2022.

Last edited:

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Do yourself a favor and call Brain at Top Notch Outfitters. Primo hunting areas with quality animals in SE NM.

Austink47

WKR
I know the guys at Poleo Creek Outfitters. They are great guys and they will treat you right. They hunt 6a and 6c.

Scottyboy

WKR
I hunted with timberline outfitters 7? years ago and had a great experience. It’s in the gila and when I went it was primitive weapons only, so no rifle. (Assuming it still is, but I cannot say for sure) If you are able to use a bow or muzzleloader it might be worth a look

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
If interested in DIY unit 4 for a group of 4-5 let me know, I know some landowners. Legit hunts and the price is right

Could you pm me with details. Been to unit 4 before and have 2 newbies I’d like to have go with me and help them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruttedup

FNG
Could you pm me with details. Been to unit 4 before and have 2 newbies I’d like to have go with me and help them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t pm on here. I guess not enough posts. Won’t know until after the season whether or not there will be group openings.