New Pack Opinions

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
ftf, check out the Dual Talon. It features dual vertical long pockets and can be had with a full length hydration pocket as well.

5e8e3e3y.jpg

So with a Dual Talon, two water bottle pockets, and the pack bag you've got 6 separate areas to store gear, 5 of which I'd consider pockets. A top lid adds more organization.

We're not minimalistic for the sake of minimalism. It's about efficiency of travel and living in the backcountry.

That's why light weight, waterproof, and comfort under load are so important to us.

Last edited:
Well I guess i'll chime in also. I own a EXO 3500 and put it through more torture this year than most guys will in three years. I backcountry hunted with this pack for 28 days elk hunting and 7 days spring bear hunting, plus a couple scouting trips. For me being a skinny frame guy the pack was awesome, fit was amazing. Just the right amount of pockets, and the EXO was a beast when it came to hauling my 6 point bull out of the backcountry. I have two other friends who also have the EXO and they hauled a deer and another 6 point bull, plus helped me pack out mine this year and they share the same opinion. I to like others have mentioned have owned in the past mystery ranch, stone galcier and kifaru packs. All of these upper tier brands are great packs as well as the EXO imo. Now I have had a completely different impression of EXO customer service. In fact I talked to Steve yesterday for probably 15 minutes, he is always very nice and helpful. Like others have stated he is basically a one man show. So there are times when he is obviously unavailable. And yes we all know Kifaru has a store front and someone is always there to answer questions which is great. Nothing against kifaru at all they are a great company and Patrick and Aron are amazing. But I think before we go bashing the little guy that has just put out a good product we may just want to try to understand his situation a bit. Hopefully Steve will chime in here to ease every one a bit.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think anyone was bashing just relaying their experience which is what this site is all about

LJ Buck

WKR
I'm kind of in the same boat. I was pretty sold on the EXO but the lack of info on them has kind of turned me off. I'm now leaning more toward a stone glacier, just wish I could fondle one before I order. I hate the idea of a 10lb pack without any gear.

Where are you located? You can come see my Stone Glacier if your in the area. I live in Pinedale.

handwerk

WKR
I'd say I was pretty happy with my exo 3500 as well. I broke it in during
colorado's 1st rifle season. We hauled out 3 elk, including my last day bull which ended up being a 4+ mile pack out with about 150 lbs and I think the exo did well, a great layout of features and just the right amount of pockets.

ams

WKR
Paradox 6300 has been a great pack. Timberline 1 and 2 are also great packs. Find roksliders near you, buy them beer, and molest their gear......then do it again.

OP
H
Thanks everyone for your input. I am a little overwhelmed, and have been working later than usual. The DT3 intrigues me, anyone know why it got discontinued?

Kifaru guys that offered their #'s. I appreciate it, and I will call you when I get home at a reasonable time.

Handwerk,

How long did it take to pack out 150lbs over four miles? Was that camp and elk or just elk. That's just plain putting in work.

Hunt, I've got an EMR2 and a DT3 bag for my bikini frame. No clue why they discontinued the DT3 bag. Seems about perfect size for day hunts.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks everyone for your input. I am a little overwhelmed, and have been working later than usual. The DT3 intrigues me, anyone know why it got discontinued?

Kifaru guys that offered their #'s. I appreciate it, and I will call you when I get home at a reasonable time.

Hey brother

I'll give you my DT3 bag...if that helps the budget.

Just buy a frame and we'll ship them together.

Call if you wanna 720 937 1418

trdhunter

WKR
Cant beat that offer. On a side note, Aron are you going to do a review on some of those packs or if I have questions is it better to send you a p.m/call/email?

I will add that I bought a Kifaru BT2 this spring and have been extremely happy with it and continue to like it more with each use, especially after packing out a few elk. All of the packs you are looking at are great packs, so just think which one would fit your needs/wants best.

Roy68

WKR
I'm in the same boat as the OP. 7 years now in middle of the road packs (eberlestocks & Osprey) and ready to step up, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Obviously there is a lot of personal preference as to what one body likes versus another's. I'm curious like trdhunter if you will be doing a review Aron? I wanted to stop by Kifaru in august on my way through, but it didn't work out. One of my issues is not starting with a 10# empty pack either. One back surgery 6 years ago, and a wreck 4 years ago jacking the back up again has me sensitive to the weight issue. Maybe overly sensitive. The exo was peaking my interest but it is the new kid on the block so to speak but it seems on average the feedback has been positive overall.

Things I see as bullet points for me:
- I need to keep the weight close to the back (not seeing meat and camp all in one load)
- I doubt 100# loads are in my future, but instead an extra trip with lighter meat loads coming out (stronger legs & conditioning)
- I need a lighter starting weight
- I need a pack I can run as day rig as well
- Need a few pockets to stay semi-organized
- I no longer want to reevaluate my pack every year, so lots of effort in getting it right this time around
- Need to put my hands on a few packs. I maybe trying to contact a couple of guys in KS except I'm fairly certain I'm 4 hours away from most of them.

I'm located in central OK (Edmond) and have a bikini frame with an EMR2 and a DT3 bags for it. Anybody in the area is welcome to stop by and try the set up with some weight in it.