Optimum heart rate???

Ok, I remember that there is a formula for figuring optimum heart rate for working out, but don't remember what it is.
So a question for you gym rats...
I will be 54 in a month. I'm about 20# heavier than I should be (30 to be "ripped"). My lifestyle this winter has centered around my desk.
I recently started in on the treadmill (2 weeks ago?) & started hitting it fairly serious the last week.
What I am doing is this. Start with the new Duplex & Highcamp bag & 43# gross weight. set & leave speed at 3.2 & do a 2 min warm up. Then 2 min at max incline (not sure what that is on this machine.), then one min flat, then 2 min max incline.... repeat until the 20 min mark then go to 3 min for one round at max incline, then back to above... continue until the 52 min mark with a couple of the incline times stretched to 2.5min, then cool down.
Mid way through the workout heart rate at end of incline time was 165 & at end of 1 min of flat was mid 140s. At end of last incline time (2:30sec) heart rate was 178-180. After 1 min on flat was back to 155. Resting heart rate is generally in upper 40s.
All that info to ask this question.
I am trying to strive for mountain hunting fitness, but also weight loss. I know they used to recommend different max heart rates for different goals (I'm guessing I'm working over those for my age). I've always been more of a push as hard as you can without reaching the level of failure kind of guy. 15 yrs ago I was racing mtn bikes a bit & riding road bikes a lot & could get my heart rate up into the 190s (never able to break 200). I was one of those weird guys that loved climbing.
What is wise for my goals today (heart rate wise:))?
Should I back off a bit or just keep doing what I am doing? All seems well & I have had a complete heart screening in the last few months & there were no issues.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
sounds like you have a good workout going...........you take 220 - your age 220 - 54 = 166 x 80-90% as the target to achieve the results your looking for...sounds like you were higher than they would recommend.....according to the chart posted and what the maximum is targeted to be....

PA 5-0

WKR
Your fat burn zone would be around 150, maybe a little less. I road race my bike a good bid and like you, I enjoy the red zone. Although that will push your aero threshold, that's an anaerobic zone. To burn fat, start your workout, quickly hit ur 80% heart rate and flat line it for the entire work out(at least 30mins). Gets boring but the pounds will fall off. These workouts are best done on a tread mill or stationary bike so you can effectively hold the flat line heart rate.