Oregon hunt.

Black tails are an outstanding quarry. You’ll have a great hunt with Tim. Southern Oregon runs a little drier than most people think when considering the coastal mountains. That being said, it could be as dry as a popcorn fart or raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. It’ll be steep and brushy you’ll be sweating and your feet will be wet all day. Your still going to have a great adventure.

WRO

WKR
Black tails are an outstanding quarry. You’ll have a great hunt with Tim. Southern Oregon runs a little drier than most people think when considering the coastal mountains. That being said, it could be as dry as a popcorn fart or raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. It’ll be steep and brushy you’ll be sweating and your feet will be wet all day. Your still going to have a great adventure.

He spends alot of time in the cascades, it's a little wetter in his area.

I'm in the book with Tim for 5 days beginning 10/25/22. Hopefully, my buddy and his son can make it work for the same week. Looking forward to changing it up a bit from mulies in Wyoming.
That could be a very good slot. Typically the first Pacific storms have rolled in, it’ll be cooler and the bucks might be getting a little frsky

Kraven

FNG
I'm almost ready to pull the pin and send Tim Pickett a deposit. Anybody here have any first hand experience, either for or against, booking with him.

He's very personable and seems quite confident and knowledgeable on the phone. I get the impression that he'd really rather be out hunting, than handling the boring business of doing business.

Anybody have anything positive or negative?

Thanks
I’m chiming in pretty late here but didn’t Tim Pickett write a book on blacktail hunting or was that someone else with a similar name???

HuntWyld

WKR
I see you already booked but I am a guide/outfitter in the southern Oregon region, feel free to reach out anytime. Ide be happy to answer questions you might have.

rootacres

WKR
I have a hunt booked with Upfront for October of 2023. After multiple conversations with Mike he seems to have a pretty solid operation put together. There isnt much for feedback on them. Hoping for the best.

Dshore

FNG
Blacktail hunting at the Oregon coast is definitely a fun game to play. Northern Oregon coast is different from the Southern Oregon Coast. Talk about steep mountains, thick clear cuts. These Blacktail blend in very well unlike Elk. Tons of monster blacktail down in the Southern Oregon on the east side of the Coast Range in the Valley . Lots of folks would agree that those Southern Oregon Valley bucks are actually hybrid Blacktail/Mule Deer. Much bigger and wider racks, vs smaller, thicker and Darker racks that you find at the coast rainforest. If you want a true blacktail stick to the coast!

I have a hunt booked with Upfront for October of 2023. After multiple conversations with Mike he seems to have a pretty solid operation put together. There isnt much for feedback on them. Hoping for the best.
Mike's a super nice guy.. I'm gonna guide 2 guys for him this year and hopefully it works out. First time actually "guiding" a client. Taken lots of friends/family but a paying customer is always different.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

So, I fly out of Tampa this Saturday, 10/22 for my hunt with Tim Pickett. The weather shows rain for all 5 days 😯 At least the temps will be cooling off, into the 50s. Hey ya can't control the weather, right...
We'll see how stainless my stainless steel rifle is.

541hunter

WKR
So, I fly out of Tampa this Saturday, 10/22 for my hunt with Tim Pickett. The weather shows rain for all 5 days At least the temps will be cooling off, into the 50s. Hey ya can't control the weather, right...

Good luck! It’s been difficult hunting so far this season. Been seeing bucks just nothing great yet. Weather has not been ideal. The rain coming in starting Friday will really help the hunting. The best blacktail hunting is in the nastiest of weather!

OP
Buckshot85
Look forward to a report.
My elk hunt this year in Wyoming was a bust.
Never saw an animal.
Hope you hammer a stud.

Look forward to a report.
My elk hunt this year in Wyoming was a bust.
Never saw an animal.
Hope you hammer a stud.

Well that sucks...sorry to hear. How many points did you have to burn for that?

Between the persistent drought, CWD, EHD and severe late winter/early spring storms the last few years, it's really taken a toll on the numbers and quality of the muleys and antelope where I hunt in Wyoming. That's why I decided to hunt other states for a few years and see if things improve again, before heading back to Wyoming.

Good luck on the rest of your season.

OP
Buckshot85
3 points. It’d been great if the outfitter would’ve done what he said he was going to during our 4 years of planning conversations.

Saw plenty of moose and a lot of grizzly tracks and scat.

Looks like I'll be getting the cow passing on a flat rock option...for 5 days.😄

Looks like I'll be getting the cow passing on a flat rock option...for 5 days.😄
I know, I’m just hoping to get my tent up before it all starts. Unseasonably warm and dry then look out here comes the first pacific storm. Area I live in gets 12 inches of rain a year. Weather girl said to expect 1 inch of rain on Saturday, but it might be snow up on the mountain.
Went up scouting today on my way to an appointment. 55 degrees and sunny at sunrise. Dust on the road is a foot deep.

Native of the Oregon coast range here. If you don’t live here I would definitely recommend a guided trip. Coming in blind would be a very tricky endeavor. E-scouting definitely won’t give the total picture. All the people I know that get nice bucks put in a ton of work. There are a very few who get a dumb luck buck during rifle season though.

I have put a lot of time in and have nothing but shadows and stories. Most big bucks I see are in the headlights at 3am on my way to work lol. Good luck.
What Pdzoller said. If you don't have the experience and knowledge of blacktail hunting, you're really putting yourself at a sever disadvantage. Hiking a ton of miles and "outworking" other hunters isn't the ticket. Gotta know the characteristics and habits of blacktails. There's a reason they're known to be ghosts...

So, I fly out of Tampa this Saturday, 10/22 for my hunt with Tim Pickett. The weather shows rain for all 5 days 😯 At least the temps will be cooling off, into the 50s. Hey ya can't control the weather, right...
This is exactly what you want. They're tough to hunt any time, but when it's hot they often go fully nocturnal and simply aren't there unless you happen to kick one out of it's bed. The rains roll in and temps drop down, things start moving a bit and chances go up dramatically. Rain all 5 days of your trip sounds miserable, but it's truly ideal.