Overboots for hiking

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Since I’m having a hard time finding winter boots that fit me, I’ve been looking at overboots such as the Neos Navigator or the overboots sold by Wiggy’s to wear over my hiking bootsare not warm but at least fit.

I cannot tell if any insulated overboots are meant for real hiking or if they’re more for sitting around or doing chores out in the yard. I’m not planning on doing any mountaineering in these things, but I often walk up to ten miles a day at work in the snow.

Is my idea a really bad one? Have any of you used overboots for significant walking?

Stumbled upon this and will probably pick up a pair of those OR x gaiters before my next cold weather hunt. For what it’s worth I ordered a pair of the wiggys overboots and was not impressed. Clunky and the construction didn’t seem all that solid. I can’t imagine they’d work well on any kind of steep terrain

tam9492

WKR
They seem really well built, and the material is durable. The sole is open, so you’re still relying on your boots. That’s why I went this route - I was worried about beating up the soles of other over-boots on my saddle platform. My intended use is stationary sits in a stand or while behind glass. I probably wouldn’t do much serious hiking or climbing in them, but I think they could probably handle it.

From looking at pictures it looks like there is a “T” of hypalon at the front under the toe and an “x” of shock cord under the instep so I’d expect those to be your two likely failure points. I agree those would probably get shredded hiking on dry ground pretty quick but on snow maybe they’d be ok? I might reach out to OR and see if they recommend them with crampons only. If you can use them without crampons these seem like they’d solve a lot of problems that I have hunting out west