Packing capes?

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
How do you guys pack your capes? Do you leave it attached to the skull and drape the rest of the cape in a contractors bag and place the bag in your pack with the skull out? Or do you keep it all on the outside of the pack?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're referring to from the kill site to the take-out, i usually drop my meat (don't be a weirdo) inside the pack and stack my cape inside a game bag or trash bag with head attached. I rarely allow myself time for skinning the skull off the cape at the kill site. So, depending on how bloody it is, it goes on top and secured inside my backpack body with top lid secured over it (horns where ever and however they fit best for transport).

To do a good job on your pre-taxi work, it takes a few hours, which usually isn't prudent to spend at the kill site, so the head stays attached until back at base camp.

But if it's early and you have good weather, you get get your pack slimmer and more efficient for pack out if you remove the skull and separate the cape. in that case, the cape gets dropped into a 14X20" TAG Bag and the skull secured however it fits my config. If you know what you're doing with hands on skills, it'll take you about 20 minutes extra time to separate the skull from the cape at the site.

LB

larry

OP
A

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply Larry, I appreciate it. I didn't want to fill my pack with hair so I figured I'd ask.

BTW I'm halfway through your new book. Great info in there thanks!

JP100

WKR
I usually keep capes on the out side of me pack if I am taking it straight from the kill sight. Never put a warm cape into a plastic bag and into a pack. they can stay really hot and cause slip. I may be a little fussy with it but as a guide keeping capes in top notch is pretty important. take to time lay skins out and cool them before putting them in a pack. and old pillow case or game bag is better than rubbish bags as they breath, but you will get hair and blood in your pack.
depends on your time/skills if you skin out the head or not. If im going to be at the Taxidermist in no time I dont bother.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
jeeze...we had plastic d-ring clips 30 years ago...? Damn I'm getting old! Check out those classic WA suspenders...Mork from 'ork kind. I like it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
the crowd of 30 yr olds has no idea what a great time of hunting gear we are in. The one thing that has not changed and never will is the rush and excitement we get during elk season especially when we are successful in taking one of these majestic animals..I can recall every detail of this morning and when I do the smile is there just with grey:)

bwlacy

WKR
How do you guys care for a cape in the backcountry for up to a week? Then the 24 hour drive home and time to get to a taxi? I keep wondering about this in the event I ever get one that I want mounted. Most likely will just take the skull cap and antlers out and not the cape, but you never know.

I was going to do a thread on this but works here I guess. Just listened to gritty bowmen on meat care and it was never mentioned cape care if your mounting it. I was on a hunt in deep and we cut our hunting short to be sure we got the cape out asap and on ice. I was thinking we could have cooled it down and stayed in and hunted a few days but we were not sure. My buddy was worried about slippage or whatever nasties can happen. I'm super green to this so we hauled mules out asap.
Any experience on staying a while with cape? I understand meat care but cape is another animal.