Packs and Meat

So when you have the elk or whatever down, are you putting meat inside the bag of pack? Or do you have a batwing style? I've been using batwing style packs and love them. The simplicity when it's dark etc is what I like.

Where am I going? I picked up a Kifaru Nomad for 80 bucks a few years back, but have never bought a frame. I'm contemplating a new pack and really want to stick with what I know and like, but wanted to hear about the pros and cons.

I'm not really a fan of Kifaru's lumbar pad as it always seems to pull my pants down (partners pack) so I'm not sure If I tough my goat hunt out this year with my 2200 or make the swtich. In my 50's, not sure how much more big hunts I will have, so not all crazy about investing in a pack as I've used the same pack for Goats, Sheep, etc already, and it worked fine, just looking at alternatives.

Maybe just go with Kelty If I can clean it up from all the bear grease.

Last edited:

EvanG17

FNG
I have a Stone Glacier Talus 6900 with a meat shelf. I think that it works great, as i have been training with 80lbs in the meat shelf portion. Completely separate from the bag itself.

On Kifaru packs, they are really designed to put meat in the bag. Meat shelf seems an afterthought. Stone Glacier has the best shelf system but I couldn’t get it to ride right. EXO meat shelf is an add on but is almost as good as the SG and fits me so much better so that’s what I’m using.

I don’t use the meat shelf on my Kifaru. Line the pack with a heavy duty contractor trash bag, quarters in game bags and then right in the pack. Keeps the blood out of the pack and off other gear if you’re packing camp at the same time.

Geewhiz

WKR
I know you didnt ask but I have been packing elk with a mystery ranch for years now and it has held up great. There have been times I have been suprised that the frame did not break in half, but it just keeps on chugging. Meat shelf is easily accessible and distrubutes weight well even when very much overloaded.

mtbkr

FNG
Both the wife and I run Kuiu and typically haul with the load shelf. It works well. Takes a few minutes getting the bag off the frame, the meat loaded, and the straps adjusted properly.

I've done a few pack-out trips where I've put meat in the bag instead of using the load shelf, (i.e. all the boned- out meat from a moose on a first trip with the quarters hanging in a tree.) The simplicity of not dealing with the load shelf is slightly nicer. Not a huge difference, but still nice.
(I hear you regarding packing up in the dark. Simplicity is certainly nice in that regard. )

I'll personally always run packs with load shelves as I like having the option. If I have a big elk or moose hind quarter I want it as close to my back as possible and so it goes in the load shelf.

I could be wrong but I think batwing style packs tend to be heavier due to the extra material. For the hunts I typically do, light weight is a priority.

I had an early model Stone Glacier. Super light, great frame and suspension but very minimalist. I tend to be pretty scattered and so I need lots of pockets to keep my things organized. Stone Glacier sells accessory pockets to help out with this.
The Kuiu works well for me as it's still light but the various bags tend to offer more pockets to help with organization. Between the Wife and I we have a 3200pro, 4000lt, 5500lt and 7000lt.
I previously had a 7200pro on an older frame and suspension.
The newer suspension seems to be a major improvement over the old. The new hip belt works really well for me.

Cheers.

Wags

WKR
My Kuiu 1850 splits open and the meat goes between the bag and the suspension.

I like it.

But I also have a couple Keltys for really big loads

View attachment 570745View attachment 570746
View attachment 570747

I really love the way those aluminum framed packs carry the load. Not to mention I get less sway being able to add straping or rope to the frame and secure it in place tighter.

That said I carry a SG and put the meat in the main bag in a contractor bag.

Last edited:
OP
C
Depending on your current Kifaru bag’s attachment placement you could find an old exo K2 or 3 frame on the classifieds for cheap and boom you’ve got yourself a Franken-pack with load shelf.

I love my K2 and the ability to remove the bag completely to haul. My buddy had a Kifaru set up that forced him to put quarters in the bag which just seemed like a bloody mess and a real pain dumping everything out which added an extra trip for him/us. The lumbar pad on the exo for me is near perfect when the pack is properly loaded. Once things get pear shaped under 100+ lbs of meat, I think every pack will suffer and rub somewhere.
Interesting, I will need to look into that. I just like batwing style packs as they’re so convenient. I would be worth looking into this. For the majority of my hunts, a 2200 with wings gambas always done the job. I just would like a bit more so I can take the whole goat out in one trip if possible.

Most of these packs with meat shelves that sit between the frame and bag are not what I’m looking for. It just “seems” slow and time consuming.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Kifaru frame. It fits me great and can handle more weight than I can. I found I like packing out in my bag versus on the meat shelf. It seems to ride better and oddly feels lighter somehow. With my K3 I preferred between the frame and pack. You could probably buy a Kifaru frame, either new or used, and sell it after your hunt and not be out that much.
Interesting, I will need to look into that. I just like batwing style packs as they’re so convenient. I would be worth looking into this. For the majority of my hunts, a 2200 with wings gambas always done the job. I just would like a bit more so I can take the whole goat out in one trip if possible.

Most of these packs with meat shelves that sit between the frame and bag are not what I’m looking for. It just “seems” slow and time consuming.
As far as it seeming slow and time consuming, I found with a little practice I could do it quickly. Some packs are quicker than others just by design. I take my sandbag out of my pack each time I use it so I get practice loading/unloading it, and if I use the meat shelf I get the practice of taking the pack off the frame, loading it, and re-attaching everything. As I said above, I prefer packing out in my bag, not on the meat shelf, with my Kifaru. I just bring a couple contractor bags and they keep my pack and gear free of blood.

Jaquomo

WKR
I'm 69 and still going, even with asthma and a pulmonary disorder. You have plenty of years left.

First trip out is with a batwing on my ALPs TraverseX day hunting pack. After that it's either the Kelty Cache Hauler or ALPs Commander hauling frames (depending upon which one my wife commandeers).

Lots of good options out there. So much depends on your style of hunting.IMG_1641.jpg

Mystery Ranch discontinued their Crewcab and Cabinet series of packs and they were the "batwing" style. I still have and use my MR crewcab for 90% of my outings.

ElkNut1

WKR
I've used many Packs over the last 40 years, so far nothing has been better than my Exo Pack! Simply the best!

ElkNut

spudists

FNG
My current bag requires that meat go in the actual bag and I am finding myself limited by that. When I have any amount of gear, I would rather have meat between the frame and bag

ElkNut1

WKR
Rambo, we are currently using the K3 3200. I've had it loaded for 4 days & 3 nights but basically it's used for all day hunts. I Never hit the Elk or Deer woods without it! This pack is awesome & the meat is sandwiched between main bag & frame. Very cool & fast & easy to do. For my all day elk hunts my pack weighs in under 20# with 70 oz of water or so.

ElkNut