Puffy Pants Versus

Benjblt

WKR
I'm considering the Kuiu Super Down Pro or the Stone Glacier Grunman Down Pant. Based on the spec's the Kuiu appears to have the slight edge in durability and the SG would have the edge in warmth and possibly in water resistant down treatment based on Ryan Avery's test. What's your opinion whether based on experience, observation, impression from others, or combination of any of these? I'd love to hear opinions.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have any answers as I’ve been considering going down this rabbit hole too. Both First Lite and Skre have puffy pants. I‘ve been seeing some positive comments on the Skre

I'm considering the Kuiu Super Down Pro or the Stone Glacier Grunman Down Pant. Based on the spec's the Kuiu appears to have the slight edge in durability and the SG would have the edge in warmth and possibly in water resistant down treatment based on Ryan Avery's test. What's your opinion whether based on experience, observation, impression from others, or combination of any of these? I'd love to hear opinions.
Your thoughts are right on. KUIU is a heavier fabric but less down fill than SG. When it comes to down pants for glassing, warmth is the only thing I care about. No down pant is going to be durable vs any other if you abuse them. I had KUIU SD Pro, I went to SG and it's better for my priorities.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I guess one other down side for the Stone might be the lack of pockets.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

KUIU SD Pro 16.0 oz weight, 3.2 oz down, has pockets, $329

SG Grumman 16.0 oz weight, 4.2 oz down, no pockets, $249

So the KUIU gets you pockets and 1 oz less fill for an additional $80. I want to be warm while glassing, I could care less about pockets myself. I think the SG is a better performer and a better value unless you need Gucci camo and pockets to fiddle with. I own a bunch of both brands and the SD Pro isn't junk at all it's just not near the performance per dollar of the SG.

At $250.00 and $330.00 a pair, Kuiu and Grumman seem pretty Gucci/Louboutin to me. Ridiculous prices for hunting pants.

Yep, I posted it in this thread a day or two ago. I sit out in those all day long, at temperatures down to -20 degrees Fahrenheit. They cost about $40.00 ....

I actually hate cold and I don't deal with it well. I have less than 10% body fat and consequently, I easily get cold. But, those fleece-lined water-resistant synthetic/cotton blend pants, coupled with wool/synthetic blend long johns, keep my legs warm when sitting for 10 to 12 hours at a stretch.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
KUIU SD Pro 16.0 oz weight, 3.2 oz down, has pockets, $329

SG Grumman 16.0 oz weight, 4.2 oz down, no pockets, $249

So the KUIU gets you pockets and 1 oz less fill for an additional $80. I want to be warm while glassing, I could care less about pockets myself. I think the SG is a better performer and a better value unless you need Gucci camo and pockets to fiddle with. I own a bunch of both brands and the SD Pro isn't junk at all it's just not near the performance per dollar of the SG.
To really compare warmth, you need to know how much down plus what kind of down. My understanding is you then multiply them together and use that number to compare

For example,
Skre 17.4 oz weight, 5.2 oz down, 850 down, $289. (5.2x850 = 4420)
Kuiu also uses 850 down (850X3.2 = 2720)
SG uses 850 down (850x4.2 = 3570)

skre would be the warmest but cost would be in the middle. I didn’t look at first lite’s puffy to compare but know they have one too

To really compare warmth, you need to know how much down plus what kind of down. My understanding is you then multiply them together and use that number to compare

For example,
Skre 17.4 oz weight, 5.2 oz down, 850 down, $289. (5.2x850 = 4420)
Kuiu also uses 850 down (850X3.2 = 2720)
SG uses 850 down (850x4.2 = 3570)

skre would be the warmest but cost would be in the middle. I didn’t look at first lite’s puffy to compare but know they have one too
You are correct. I haven't looked at the Skre but the specs you posted look great. As far as I'm aware First Lite doesn't offer down pants, just synthetic which is a 100% non starter for me.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Feathered Friends makes one that is comparable

13oz total weight, 4.4 fill, 900 down (3960) for $279

Feathered Friends makes one that is comparable

13oz total weight, 4.4 fill, 900 down (3960) for $279
I'd bet those are a winner, I've got two FF sleeping bags and they're among the best available in my opinion. Treated vs untreated down holds alot of weight with some folks but I haven't proven it to myself if one is actually better than the other.

EdP

WKR
I think WeiserBucks hit it on the head. Durability isn't the real issue, warmth is. Nobody is going to be walking around in puffy pants because they will be noisy and you will cook. You just need them to keep you warm while sitting. Treated down and a water resistant fabric may be a plus, but any precip is going to be snow or sleet at the temps puffy pants are needed and frozen precip can be brushed off before it melts.

Have the SG puffy pants and jacket. They go along in my pack everywhere on rifle hunts along with my raingear. Have used them glassing during late Oct Idaho rifle hunts, Nov MT rut hunts and Dec whitetail hunts in a treestand. Very warm, I will put my rain pants over them to protect them from the rocks and cut the wind. If you hike in them, you'll most likely sweat which leads to issues with wind chill when stopping to glass. Perfect for glassing spots or hanging out at spike camps in my hunting styles. Make great pillows as well.

BDRam16

WKR
I actually hate cold and I don't deal with it well. I have less than 10% body fat and consequently, I easily get cold. But, those fleece-lined water-resistant synthetic/cotton blend pants, coupled with wool/synthetic blend long johns, keep my legs warm when sitting for 10 to 12 hours at a stretch.
There is a 0% chance that you can sit still for 12 hours in -20* with nothing but a base layer and a fleece lined Wrangler pant. Calling BS on that one right now. Up and walking around? Sure.