Puffy Pants Versus

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
On the topic of puffy pants, but just as an aside, I spent one entire winter in the Wrangell/St Elias Mountains studying Dall Sheep. I'd spend all day [days are short that far north, but even still] sitting behind a spotting scope in temperatures down to -60 degrees Fahrenheit, wearing heavy GI issue, Korean War era wool pants. Now that was cold.
That's what I've worn was heavy wool overpants from Columbia. Although, if you look at the tag they were mostly polyester. Very warm but very heavy and bulky. Too warm to walk in.

Maverick1

WKR
There is a 0% chance that you can sit still for 12 hours in -20* with nothing but a base layer and a fleece lined Wrangler pant. Calling BS on that one right now. Up and walking around? Sure.
I can do that, sitting in my hot tub in the back yard. Just have to have one of the servants bring me food and drink once in awhile.

Maverick1

WKR
I have the FF Helios pants. Bought them as seconds for $190, though can't find anything wrong. Pretty incredible. No pockets. Just unzip a little to access pants pockets underneath. I don't carry much in pants pockets, mainly using my jacket.

I also have the Helios jacket. Imagine transforming into a toasty Michelin Man when you sit down to glass. I love them both.

Made in USA. More and higher loft down. To me, no contest.
I have the same setup. The FF Helios pants and jacket are much warmer than the First Lite Uncompahgre pieces. No comparison, actually. I go for walks in the winter (on the pavement, around the neighborhood) in the winter and can't wear the FF Helios jacket while walking unless the outside temperature is lower than 20 degrees, otherwise I bake like an oven. And no way I'd walk anywhere in the pants, same thing. The tradeoff is the material isn't particularly quiet, I can wear it bowhunting, but only with a layer over the top.

EdP

WKR
I have several Korean War era wool pants (bought brand new in recent years). They are a terrific piece of gear. Warm and shed snow/sleet/wind easily, but they are not light nor are they warm enough for me to sit for more than a couple of hours in 30F even with a midweight baselayer underneath and a jacket over my legs. I guess I am a wus.

Dented

WKR
I have a couple of pairs of old military issue wool pants. I think they're Finnish, maybe Russian? They were kinda cheap but damn warm. Not stylish in any way but I lived in a pair one winter, I liked them that much. Old Surplus wool is something everyone should have at least 1 pair of.

EdP

WKR
I have considered getting a Kifaru Weebie (the downsized Woobie) instead of puffy pants. It would help my decision making if Kifaru would publish the weight and offer the Weebie in the same camo pattern the Woobie is offered in. My thought is that the Weebie could be used on my legs and lower torso while stationary (on stand) and also to augment my lighter sleeping bag at camp instead of taking my heavier bag. It is just an attempt to lower the overall gear weight via multipurpose gear.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I have considered getting a Kifaru Weebie (the downsized Woobie) instead of puffy pants. It would help my decision making if Kifaru would publish the weight and offer the Weebie in the same camo pattern the Woobie is offered in. My thought is that the Weebie could be used on my legs and lower torso while stationary (on stand) and also to augment my lighter sleeping bag at camp instead of taking my heavier bag. It is just an attempt to lower the overall gear weight via multipurpose gear.
I've considered the same thing. Just go for it. I made blanket with RipStopByTheRoll material so maybe I'll do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Lots of fill. What's the overall weight?

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Skre and first lite both have their puffy pants on sale right now. I just bought the skre ones

There are a few gear “aha” moments I’ve had in my hunting life, puffy pants was one of them. I can never go back to pre puffy. I have the Kuiu ultras for early/mid season and FF Helios for late. Best value is without a doubt FF, cheaper and higher quality, win win.
A few other moments were lightweight wind shells, zip off base layers, and hip vents on pants.
I do have the SG Grumman jacket and will say after 2 years it seems to have lost a considerable amount of warmth. I can’t quantify it, but I’ve had a few other folks agree.

EdP

WKR
The ECW Level 7s at about $50 would be hard to pass up if they had zippers down the legs, but they don't.

Lots of fill. What's the overall weight?
I have these pants and they are ok, not super warm like some. They use duck down not goose down so the extra fill doesn't equate to extra warmth. Its about on par to a low fill goose down pant.