Recommend me a muzzleloader.

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho resident will mostly be hunting in Idaho(elk and deer). Very new to muzzleloaders. Need recommendations for a accurate, Idaho legal muzzleloader that wont break the bank.

Whats everyones thoughts?

Thanks

I use a Pedersoli Hawken 50cal. It's accurate and easy to use, plus if your scalp is ever in danger you could beat a man to death with it. I looked long and hard at both the Hawken and a Knight Bighorn, but when it came time to buy I couldnt find a Bighorn so I went with the more traditional gun. It's worked well for me.

xziang

WKR
I'm partial to TC lately. I've got a triumph with a Nikon BDC on it but that was a pretty penny. I however was able to pick up a TC Impact from wallyworld last year at a steal and so far I like that gun. It has a shorter barrel than my triumph. The 1/4 turn breech plug removal on the triumph is a PITA to me, just give me a normal screw in breech plug and call it good.

I like the 'break open' design ML for they are easier to clean for me. That way if you are in the field you can run a swab through them by just removing the breech plug.

My first ML was a CVA OptimaPro which I still have and use occasionally but it is HEAVY and I think only cost me 150.00 numerous years ago.

i have not shot any of the newer knights but I see no reason to get rid of my TC Triumph. it's accurate and easy to maintain. wish mine was weathershield though.

OP
C

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the replies. I have much research to do. Whole new animal to me. But there are alot of great tags out there that are muzzleloader only so thought i need to get with it.. extend my season a bit.

weaver

WKR
For Idaho a Knight ultra lite would be my first choice although I've never used one.
CVA Optima NW is what I use in Idaho and has worked well for me.

anyone like the vortek seris from traditions?

NO! just my opinion

Home much will you use a muzzleloader? I hunt all seasons with mine and wanted a rifle that would last. So I went with the Knight Ultra Light.

This is the rifle setup for Idaho hunting...

This is the front sight combination that I am using now... when you look through the peep at the front sight kinda gives you the feeling you are looking through a 1X scope

It is expensive that is for sure, but the way I use it I could justify it...

A more economical ML would be a Knight Bighorn...

They can also come with a thumbhole stock. This picture the typical thumbhole... it has an MK-85 in it.

The rifle in between these two is the Knight DISC Extreme

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

WKR
If your looking into a Knight... Ive got an MK-85 I'd sell at a reasonable price. Pretty sure it would be Idaho legal??? Sabotloader would know for sure.

I have an ultralight too, it's a really nice gun & don't see changing to anything else anytime soon. They are a little pricier than some of the others but worth it IMO.

OP
C

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
NO! just my opinion

Home much will you use a muzzleloader?

I really don't know how much I will use it. I just want to extend my season and maybe get into the late season cow elk hunts next year.

OP
C

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
I can actually feel the rolling of the eyes I will get from my wife when I start collecting muzzleloader supplies... I'm afraid to tell her..

NO! just my opinion

Home much will you use a muzzleloader?

I really don't know how much I will use it. I just want to extend my season and maybe get into the late season cow elk hunts next year.

That is EXACTLY how it started for me! But gotta tell you it becomes real infectious.... really quick!

It has become so bad here Terry has told me on several occasions "if one cometh - one must go-eth" I let her think that is what is happening:rolleyes:

OP
C

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
Any opinion on the knight wolverine (northwest)? Store local to me has a NIB FOR $450.

I got my first smoke stick this year, A T/C Pro Hunter Fx.

I use a scope here in Utah and this is accurate out to 300, and claims to be out to 400. I just haven't had time to verify this yet. I have hit 10" paper plate size groups at 300 consistently with it, keep in mind it is with a scope.

I use the BH209 powder and Barnes blue sabot 350 and I only clean the barrel and breech every dozen shots when done sending lead down range.

Lots of good muzzle loaders out there but definitely some better than others. Money does get you to the better.

Cgeb

WKR
The Wolverine is a version of the MK-85 others have recommended here. Kind of less whistles and bells, but still a good choice. I have a Knight American the cheapest gun they made (still based on the MK-85) and when you work up the right load it's a tack driver. I can't remember anyone complaining (with a little work) that their Knight wasn't a shooter.

I haven't looked at prices lately The Wolverine used to be a $250-300 ish gun. Maybe prices have grown on harder to find models.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with a stainless Remington 700ML. They don't make them anymore but you can usually find them used for around 350.00. I actually have 3 of them :). Rather than change the rear sight to a peep I changed the front to accept inserts. The insert I use allows you to keep sight of what your shooting at, not something most front sights will do at the longer distances. I've killed elk to 184yds with it and several to just under that.