Rokslide 2023 Youth Photo Contest sponsored by Western Edge Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Time for the Rokslide 2023 Youth Hunt Photo Contest! Post up your photos of the next generation of hunters with the results of their hard work and learning for a chance at some prizes.

First prize will be a an Elkhorn Package, a 2500-cubic inch pack with meat shelf and detachable lid. The package includes the winner's choice of frame height, belt size, plus a choice of either an orange lid or reversible/detachable panel to help comply with hunter orange requirements in some states (and to help keep track of kids in the field).

Second prize will be a Chest Pack in the winner’s choice of color.

For reference, the first picture below shows a 4'10" kid with the Elkhorn and panel carrying three quarters and both backstraps of a deer on the shelf, a 45 pound packout. The second shows him at 5’2” with an entire whitetail doe on the shelf (72 pound packout).

MTMD20-.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

As always, photos will be judged on the following criteria and rules:

1. WOW Factor. Is it a great photo that grabs the viewer? This takes into account lighting, color, uniqueness, etc.

2. Composition. How is the photo arranged and balanced – is there too much or too little of the background/foreground, animal, subject, etc.?

3. Animal size. This is not a biggest animal contest, but a best photo contest that captures your youth hunter in the field. In this case, the focus is on the youth hunter, not necessarily the animal – but if two pictures are equal, generally the more impressive animal will win the tie-breaker.

4. Only one photo per animal entered. Must be a photo of your youth hunter in the field during the 2023 season (January 1- December 31, 2023), involved in any kind of hunting – waterfowl, small game, big game, etc. The youth hunter must be 17 or younger during the 2023 January 1-December 31 hunting season.

5. Only one photo entry is allowed per youth per animal (so one mule deer, one antelope, per youth etc.) Member parents or legal guardian can post on the youth's behalf, or the youth can join Rokslide and post himself.

6. Rokslide staff will select finalists, and Rokslide members will vote for the winner.

7. By posting photos on this thread, you agree to allow Rokslide and Western Edge Gear use the photos in promotional material without compensation.

8. Any international winner is responsible for border tax, custom fees, excessive postage fees, etc.

9. To get an idea of what we're looking for in a winning photo, check out previous finalists here:
2020, 2021, 2022.

10. Deadline for photo submittal will be January 15, 2024.

Good luck out there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We really appreciate you putting this on every year Steve. Good on you!

@realunlucky please get this a mention on our podcast.

Good luck to all the kids out there, and be sure and show dad how that camera works in his smartphone!

My grandpa and I took my oldest son (2.5 years old), on his first turkey hunt this spring. Me and my son sat about 50 yards back and called this tom in for my grandpa, he got to watch the tom come in gobbling and strutting, then he got to watch his great grandpa blast him. This was a memorable hunt for me personally, because my grandpa is the one who started taking me turkey hunting when I was about the same age, to get to now be going on hunts with both of them together is very special. My son loved it, and asks me on a daily basis when we get to go turkey hunting again.
Hen_Turk2.jpg

nphunter

WKR
Oregon, Aug. 27th 2023

First animal of the year for us. We spent a lot of hours behind the spotter and hiked a little over 15 miles in two days. Spotted this buck the night before he shot it, couldn’t get on it and found him at noon the day he killed it on private. It was in a spot we couldn’t get to in and once it was on the move we got in front of him and killed him almost 2 miles away. Spent some time crawling into range and he made a great shot to kill his first antelope!

Yes he was in shorts and Nikes, lol, not only did we walk over 15 miles in two days but he also ran a little over 4 miles for cross country the night before the opener. He was regretting the shorts when we were crawling through the brush:)

E2A6DE32-793A-40CC-89CC-8041CFD0ABF6.jpeg

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
20230105_134826.jpg
My son's Jan 2023 ibex from the youth hunt in NM. He was 9yrs old and hunted from 4am to well after dark for 9 days on our DIY hunt. He made an awesome 742 yd shot on this old broken horned warrior on day 10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.