Salomon Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
Brock, My Dirty Girl gaiters are 3 years old and still in good shape, the one I use for backpacking boots are the same size as my running shoes and I will be buying a size up when I replace them, they have be worn through by the boot lace hooks. They attach with a hook to the lace and just velcro on the heel. They are not waterproof but will keep your socks cleaner and debris out of your shoes/boots. They have worked well for me on trail and off.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock, My Dirty Girl gaiters are 3 years old and still in good shape, the one I use for backpacking boots are the same size as my running shoes and I will be buying a size up when I replace them, they have be worn through by the boot lace hooks. They attach with a hook to the lace and just velcro on the heel. They are not waterproof but will keep your socks cleaner and debris out of your shoes/boots. They have worked well for me on trail and off.

Awesome! I might pick up a pair. Thanks.

I have tried Salomons on a few different occasions and I can't seem to get them to fit me very well. I also can't keep them tight. They always come undone even when I am just walking. The last pair I had the lace broke and it is unrepairable. I have since switched to a pair of La Sportiva trail runners, mostly because they were on sale at REI. Like others have stated, I look forward to using these in the early season.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have tried Salomons on a few different occasions and I can't seem to get them to fit me very well. I also can't keep them tight. They always come undone even when I am just walking. The last pair I had the lace broke and it is unrepairable. I have since switched to a pair of La Sportiva trail runners, mostly because they were on sale at REI. Like others have stated, I look forward to using these in the early season.

Boot and shoe fit can be very individual, so it's great there are so many options available! Any quality trail runner will fit the bill for early season trips, so I am glad you found one that works for you.

Saloman does make a repair kit for their lacing system, I have one in our gear room but have never had to use it yet....

Lawnboi

WKR
If grip is high up on your list I'd also take a look at inov 8. I don't have enough time on their grippy trail runners yet to say a lot about them but so far I really like them.

La Sportiva makes great shoes also. One of my favorite all time trail running shoes was the Fireblade. Unfortunately, they discontinued it and I haven't found a similar one since. The Salomon Sense Mantra is very similar, but with better traction.

Also, the Salomon's will vary in fit. The XA Comps are a little wider through the heel and midfoot than some of their other shoes.

The speed laces seem to work better if you aren't really snugging your shoes up tight. I used to do this, and found that on really long runs I would actually develop pain on the top of my instep that was a result of laces making pressure points. Anymore I run with my shoes somewhat loose. It feels funny at first, but over time I realize my feet feel a lot better. I used to hate speed laces, but now I love them.

I can't keep them tight, even tight enough to run in. I had a pair of their hiking boots for work and I had the left boot rub my heal raw from walking in them for a few days. I won't say that I won't ever use them, I will probably try them again when I wear out the shoes I am currently using out, should be about two months from now.

I can't keep them tight, even tight enough to run in. I had a pair of their hiking boots for work and I had the left boot rub my heal raw from walking in them for a few days. I won't say that I won't ever use them, I will probably try them again when I wear out the shoes I am currently using out, should be about two months from now.

thats crazy. i can get them tight enough to lose circ. the lacing is one of my favorite features about them. 2nd to the traction.

Try this lacing technique, it really locks in your heel.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

The last pair of Salomon's I bought with the speed laces were on sale, a ridiculous sale, so I bought them. I had nothing but issues with them.

Lawnboi

WKR

I wouldn't be afraid to try another model of them. Inov8 has an insane amount of trail shoes.

I can say though my inov 8 shoes are the first pair of shoes that when I put them on, I just want to run.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a couple nights on these bad boys and man I love them. Especially after putting superfeet insoles in them. I ended up going with the green. Here are some pics to show the upgrade. Obviously not everyone is the green model but they make a wide variety. I would recommend switching out the insoles it comes with.

Factory insoles:
ygy8ajer.jpg

gymyvevy.jpg

va6ezazy.jpg

Superfeet:
nysavy3y.jpg

yta8ady6.jpg

a5u9u2a3.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
nice Brock...yep upgrading to either green or orange insoles is the first thing I've done to the last 3 pairs of Salomons I've gone through. Nice choice!