Salomon Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe

jb79

WKR
So I have the speed cross 2 is there much difference from the 2 to the 3? The pair I have have a very narrow toe box, must the time I run in sock liners or no socks at all because it's cramped. I have had mine for many years I think 5! They have seen better days but still in one piece. I have done tons of hiking in them but never hunt, because of the lack of socks..... Anyways my question is, is the toe box wider on the 3 and what socks are you guys wearing with them for hunting purposes?

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I have the speed cross 2 is there much difference from the 2 to the 3? The pair I have have a very narrow toe box, must the time I run in sock liners or no socks at all because it's cramped. I have had mine for many years I think 5! They have seen better days but still in one piece. I have done tons of hiking in them but never hunt, because of the lack of socks..... Anyways my question is, is the toe box wider on the 3 and what socks are you guys wearing with them for hunting purposes?

I haven't worn the speedcross 2 but I googled it and the first thing that popped up was how the SC3 has a roomier toe box...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just ordered my 3rd set of Salomon SpeedCross 3s....seem only get a full summer of use out of them hiking in the backcountry before the soles start to delaminate or in this last case have a hole wear through near my pinky toe. Not sure another shoe would be anymore durable given how I use them, which is mainly off trail hiking, constantly wet, and with 30-90 pounds on my back.

But $81 shipped was a good price so I went with it, even if it is in a stupid color scheme ;)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have pair on the way..... Not tactical :( what gaiters are you guys/gals wearing? I have read about the dirty girls, is that the way to go?

After never using trail gaiters with our Salomons in our many summer trips the last 4+ years, we finally tried some out on our last packraft/backpack grizz hunt. After crossing multiple snow fields, and also slogging thru almost 4" of fresh snow, as well as swamps, creeks and acres of brush I can say that I think we will take them from now on. It was great not to have rocks and debris come into them during creek crossings, and while crossing snow fields will always be chilly, they kept the bulk of the snow out of our shoes. An added bonus was that they kept the bottoms of our hiking pants and rain pants (when applicable) from getting so muddy.

Not sure the exact model, I confess I found them new with tags in a tote in our gear room marked "shoes and gaiters", and they had been there for approx 5 years :) anyway, they are pretty similar to these: http://www.campsaver.com/trail-gaiters

Can't speak to long term durability since we only used them on one 4 day trip, but I can tell you we will be using them again.

jb79

WKR
Thanks I like rei cause if it's crap you can take it back! I will definitely be look at both if those........ Sorry speed cross 2 it's trash time for you!!!! Well good will:)

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at these also. Do they run pretty true to size? I will have to order them.

boom

WKR
I have been looking at these also. Do they run pretty true to size? I will have to order them.

true to size! i'm about 10 runs in, and no issues. they feel really weird walking or running on pavement...but once i hit the trail, grip-city!

i love how burrs cannot attach to the laces. i hated dragging all those seeds to my home.