Salomon Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe

Erock1313

FNG
I have heard the Speed Cross make for warm feet in temps above 50°, because of the Waterproofing- Can anyone verify this is true? Do they make your feet soggy as well?

I found another Salomon shoe - "Fellraiser" - that seems to be nearly identical to the Speed cross, but more ventilated. Has anyone tried these or both and can compare?

Here is a link:

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/fellraiser.html

And....Where can I find those Titanium Camo Speed Cross for sale in a 12-12.5....Any links?

»--ERock1313--> (∅)

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
The speedcross 3 are definitely not waterproof, so I am not sure what ventilation issue you are referring to. I have spent more time with mine wet than dry, and they drain quickly with no more soggy feeling than one would expect hiking thru creeks and swamps. Your socks will get and stay wet in those conditions but the shoes themselves drain pretty quickly. Have worn mine in temps from 30 degrees to 80 degrees, and never been too hot but they are usually wet so YMMV.

jb79

WKR
I used my speed cross 2 in Hawaii hiking the napali coast just because they drain and dry quickly... Unless I missed something when ordering the speed cross 3 I don't think they are water proof:) in hot weather with just a sock liner on my feet dried fast than my wife with bare foot runners on.

sneek-ee

WKR
There is a regular speed cross and a CS version- climashield. This is supposed to provide some.weather protection.

I think he's wondering if the clima shield ones will overheat your feet.... And which ones are people using?
Regular or CS version?

Erock1313

FNG
Sneek-ee = +1, I was mostly referring to the Climashield, but also the Speedcross 3 GTX (GORTEX) that a lot of people seem to wear. ..... Plus the material used on the Speedcross is more tightly woven which leads me to believe it holds in heat and moisture. And if it holds in heat, then it creates moisture (sweat) on the feet, which can't readily escape/ evaporate. My body tends to radiate heat (especially my feet), which is why I was curious.

I was also able to find a little more info on the comparison for the two. Looks like the are basically similar shoes. The main differences are that the Speedcross 3 has a slightly narrower toe box than the Fell raiser and the Fell raiser has more mesh = better Ventilation.

It also looks like the European version of the Speedcross had a couple of Digi-Camo options....One Desert Camo, One Grey /Green with either black or green soles, One Blue / Grey. Wish I had smaller feet, as I can only seem to find an 11 at biggest so far (see link for colors);

http://www.kobe9shoescheap.com/salomon-speedcross-3-cs-mens-camouflage-light-yellow-gray-p-479.html

Last edited:

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Have the GTX models been discontinued? I'm having a hard time finding a pair.

The climashield models don't seem to me to be any more waterproof than the regulars. I ditched the speed laces and put in regular cordage and have no problems with loosening anymore. If only I could get some XA Comp GTX with the speedcross sole I'd have nirvana.

I don't have any experience with the speed cross 3s but I have a pair of XA PRO 3D M+ and they hold water REALLY BAD. I used them for a mud run a couple of weekends ago and from the first creek crossing until I got home they were squishy and another 2# heavier each(made for a long run). I am glad to hear the speed cross 3s shed water fast, they will be my next pair for mud runs at least or were I know I will be crossing creeks. The XA PRO 3D M+ are really stabile and handle a 70# pack really well but are a no go for water crossings.

boom

WKR
Dang. Running up the miles! Nice shoe. I probably didn't need a racing shoe and could have gone a level or two heavier. But mine are holding up great. I don't wear them around at all. I strap them on for trail runs only.
a7uhyjup.jpg

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think if you are mainly just running in them on trails they likely will last a lot longer for ya than off trail with 50-80 pounds on my back as often the case during the summer. I mean they are designed for trail running and such, not so much of off trail moderate to heavy hauling while being soaking wet the whole time. Great shoes and will continue to use due to their fit, comfort, and traction certainly.

boom

WKR
I think if you are mainly just running in them on trails they likely will last a lot longer for ya than off trail with 50-80 pounds on my back as often the case during the summer. I mean they are designed for trail running and such, not so much of off trail moderate to heavy hauling while being soaking wet the whole time. Great shoes and will continue to use due to their fit, comfort, and traction certainly.

You have good feet! I would kill mine if I wore them packing.

I need a boot. As I trail run I do feel that my ankles are getting stronger. Must be the balancing on the rocky trail. Maybe one day I will be able to pack a load wearing a trail shoe.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Start small and work up to it. I find that by hiking with shoes all summer by the time I put on my boots in the fall I feel as though all my stabilizer muscles are built up pretty well making the use of boots even stronger than had I not backpacked in the Salomons all summer long.

colonel00

WKR
Dang. Running up the miles! Nice shoe. I probably didn't need a racing shoe and could have gone a level or two heavier. But mine are holding up great. I don't wear them around at all. I strap them on for trail runs only.
a7uhyjup.jpg

Perhaps you should avoid using them to start your charcoal and then maybe they would last a little longer :D

boom

WKR
Perhaps you should avoid using them to start your charcoal and then maybe they would last a little longer :D

hahah.. they are so fast..mere fire cant touch them!!

goodness, my grass looks like ass.