Scope Rings and Heavy Recoil

JHubbard2010

FNG
Classified Approved
I bought my first custom rifle about 10 years ago from Hill Country Rifles. It is chambered in .300 Weatherby. I had a Swaro Z5 3-18 on it for many years but recently upgraded to a Z8i 2-16x50. Because of this I will be going from a 1” tube to a 30mm and will need to remount. Being my first rifle I did not see the need for a muzzle brake and this thing has a pretty significant amount of recoil. I love the more classic look of the Talley Lightweight one-piece rings but was wondering if the recoil would justify the move to a piccatiny rail with a heavier duty ring. I don’t have any issues with the eye relief so that aspect of the pic rail is irrelevant. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sounds like a first class setup. If you don’t mind the money a Murphy Precision picatinny base and American Precision Arms rings is a very reliable setup and top notch products.

Pic will definitely be best. I always use the Nightforce 6 screw extreme duty rings and have never had anything but performance from them. I change the rear ring top to their bubble as well. I have them on a 7 mag, 300 PRC, and even my AR15 though they are probably overkill for such a light caliber.

Im in a similar situation. Currently running Talley UL on my Weatherby and I am rethinking that choice after having a set of Talleys break on a 3006 over the summer. Will I have an overall better / more accurate/ more reliable platform if I go to a high end rail and ring system (6oz more weight)?

wapitibob

WKR
Decent alum rail, lightly bedded to ensure flatness, then a good set of 4 screw rings with some 55# cross bolts will work fine. You can remove and replace the scope/ring assy at will and it'll maintain your zero.

B23

WKR
Worst gun I've ever owned for trying to keep the scope from moving around was a Weatherby Accumark 338-378. The combination of a fairly lightish rifle with a heavy recoiling cartridge and a heavy optic sitting on top, NF NXS 5.5-22x56, made for a bit of a challenge. Started out with a pic rail and a set of NF ultralite rings but after a few shots you could see where the scope had moved. It's been a few years so I don't remember what rings I tried next but no matter what I did the result was the same and I could not keep the scope from moving. Got ahold of Near Mfg and he guaranteed my scope would stay put with his three ring Alphamount so I ordered one. Got it all put together when it arrived and that scope never moved again, at least not till I pulled it off and sold the rifle a couple years later.

Last edited:

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Pic will definitely be best. I always use the Nightforce 6 screw extreme duty rings and have never had anything but performance from them. I change the rear ring top to their bubble as well. I have them on a 7 mag, 300 PRC, and even my AR15 though they are probably overkill for such a light caliber.
I just did this. 300 WSM was running Talley lightweights and switched to NF 6 screw. My scope was moving in the rings. It’s solid and confidence inspiring now.