Sitka Intercept Pant and Hoody Review, By Josh Boyd

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in the 120 baselayer hoody

Any idea on the ratio of nylon to merino?

Curious if it will hold up similar to other nylon/merino blends?

K_pem

WKR
I’m interested in the 120 baselayer hoody

Any idea on the ratio of nylon to merino?

Curious if it will hold up similar to other nylon/merino blends?
Ratio is 85/15 % for the 120 and 220. Can’t speak to the 330 yet. But I can tell you that this merino hoody is a home run for me. You’re essentially getting a Core LW hoody in merino.

I’ve been wanting a merino hoody like this for some time, thin and light merino as a base that’ll dry quick but has a half zip. Closest find was the Kuiu 145 and I wasn’t a fan. I previously ran exclusively FL merino, but the Wick hoody had no zipper and I hate that. This new Core Merino is lighter than FL and equally as (if not more) comfortable.

I’ll definitely be buying more 120 and likely the 330 pieces for late season.

To speak more directly to the Intercept line specifically: I opted not to get the hoody as it is essentially a 220 weight version of the 120 hoody with elbow pads. There is zero added benefit and I didn’t feel the elbow pads I would even use, so that I can’t speak to. However I did opt for the pants, and while I haven’t spent any time in field with them yet I am pretty unsure that they’re worth the cost. I know there’s a good degree of tech and cost in merino, but hard to justify these pants when I can almost buy 2 pairs of Kutanas for the same price… time will tell if I end up keeping them, but it’s not likely.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the fit/cut compared to the core lw hoody?
I want that merino tight as that’s the way a base layer should be. Waffling between the medium and a large myself. I wear a large lightweight hoody so gonna try a medium I think as it appears to be a looser cut.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Part of the discussion of gear is price point and quality, I dont think @Bump79 was trying to be political but at the end of the day it is a know fact that items manufactured outside the USA are typically done at a cheaper cost otherwise why do it? I dont think quality is the issue here, I think Sitka gear is still very high quality regardless of what country manufactures it and my hunting gear is probably 90% Sitka and I love the gear. Sitka is fully entitled to market their gear at any price they see fit. I love Sitka and still buy their products and will continue to do so but I think it should be fair game to discuss price and features and part of that is where its manufactured. Nothing political about it.
How is reviewing a gears use case scenario, durability etc, have anything to do with price? . I don't get it. I hate to even mention this but people seem very upset and makes me wonder if it's for other reasons like being priced out. Someone brought up on another post people not throwing a fit about the price of optics. How is this any different? It's a tool. If you don't like it then buy a rigid drill and see how that works out for you outside of hanging your wife's drapes. I hate to be the guy who protects Sitka but seriously talking about price is childish. No one screams about pricing of guns, optics, overpriced packaged food for gods sake! Why does everyone cry about Sitka? Don't buy it! And the comparison between Sitka kuiu, kifaru, stone glacier in pricing is literally $20-$50. Literally minimal.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
One also has to figure in they are one of the last high end hunting clothing manufacturers that hasn’t adopted the direct to consumer model.

Some of this markup is to keep retail stores in business. Buy from a retailer as opposed to the main Sitka site if you purchase their gear.

The 120 merino hoody is close enough price wise to other merino pieces found around that don’t offer the features it does. Seems legit AF

got out on a scouting trip this past weekend and put the core merino 120 to work. Let's just say it's my new favorite merino. Did amazing in temps around 80 and dried quickly when I stopped. I even busted some brush and only got one small snag. I see no signs of wear from my pack either. I will say like any lightweight pieces if it catches some it will pull. I like the fit better on the merino than the core lt wt was well.

got out on a scouting trip this past weekend and put the core merino 120 to work. Let's just say it's my new favorite merino. Did amazing in temps around 80 and dried quickly when I stopped. I even busted some brush and only got one small snag. I see no signs of wear from my pack either. I will say like any lightweight pieces if it catches some it will pull. I like the fit better on the merino than the core lt wt was well.

The core lightweight fits me kind of loose in xl, would you say it fits loose enough to size down or stick with the same size?

K_pem

WKR
How’s the fit/cut compared to the core lw hoody?
I’d say the body is fairly similar with some extra room in the waist, the arms are a bit longer maybe and arms are for sure roomier.

Overall it’s definitely looser fitting. Not quite sure that I would go down to a Med but the Large is about as big as I’d want anything. In Core LW i wear a Large, I could easily go to an XL in the arms/shoulders but then I’m swimming in the waist.

For reference I’m about 5’9” ish 190lbs and Athletic build.

The core lightweight fits me kind of loose in xl, would you say it fits loose enough to size down or stick with the same size?
I would say stick with same size. I wore Large in core lt wt and got Large in merino 120. It's a little longer in both arms and body. Also, the upper arms were looser fitting. If you like your base layer to be tight against skin, I would size down. For me Medium would have been too tight in shoulders. I'm happy with sticking with the Large.

I’d say the body is fairly similar with some extra room in the waist, the arms are a bit longer maybe and arms are for sure roomier.

Overall it’s definitely looser fitting. Not quite sure that I would go down to a Med but the Large is about as big as I’d want anything. In Core LW i wear a Large, I could easily go to an XL in the arms/shoulders but then I’m swimming in the waist.

For reference I’m about 5’9” ish 190lbs and Athletic build.
Yup pretty similar results. i'm also 5'9" 183lbs

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Got a 120 hoody in medium and large on their way.

Whichever is best rolls out on a 5 day trip into the Trinity wilderness

K_pem

WKR
I

how did you like the knee pads? I wish the katana's had knee pads.
Super high quality knee pads, Barklow mentioned drilling out some of the holes to increase breathability.

If I was a knee pad person they’d be the best I’ve seen in a hunting pant.

But I have to wear knee braces as it is so the pads are redundant.

I ordered L and XL 120 hoody, definitely fits like the core lightweight hoody and is much more comfortable. I’ve gone down to L in most sitka, but sticking with xl in this and the core lightweight hoody. Only issue is maybe durability. It is very thin (noticeably thinner than the kuiu 120 LT). We’ll see how it holds up. But given the choice. I’d pick the 120 over the CLH.