Sitka Intercept Pant and Hoody Review, By Josh Boyd

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I went with medium instead of large due to sleeve length. Medium fit like the core lightweight hoody in large.

mjengland

FNG
Hello all, first post here.

I am curious as to what size yall think I should buy for the Sitka fanatic/interceptor systems. I am 6'2, 230 pounds. I stay around that weight range more often than in the 240 or 220 ranges. Is that a 2x? I am somewhere near xl and xxl.

Hello all, first post here.

I am curious as to what size yall think I should buy for the Sitka fanatic/interceptor systems. I am 6'2, 230 pounds. I stay around that weight range more often than in the 240 or 220 ranges. Is that a 2x? I am somewhere near xl and xxl.
If you are anywhere near a cabelas or bass pro or other major sportsgear dealer like scheels, field and stream, etc, they will have some sitka gear you can try on….thats prob the best way.
Another way is order try on and exchange or keep.
I find sitka clothes to fit pretty dang close to regular clothes, so ordering what you would normally wear for such clothes works well for most.
Unfortunately my size is not yours so i have no real world experience with XL vs XXL stuff.

I used these in temps ranging between 40 to 80 degrees. They are perfect for September in the mountains and wouldn’t be concerned to use them into the 20’s especially with a base layer. They are a well rounded pant.

For the past several years, I've been wearing Ascents when its warm and Mountain pants when I need a little more stout pant.. would these Intercepts be able to take the place of both of these?

Sitka's site lists them as a 2 warmth and Ascents are 1, but with the hip zips, they may be able to dump heat better than the Ascents?

Also, the fabric on them doesnt feel as tough as the Mountain pants, but both are listed as a 4 in durability. Any concerns about the toughness of them?

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the past several years, I've been wearing Ascents when its warm and Mountain pants when I need a little more stout pant.. would these Intercepts be able to take the place of both of these?

Sitka's site lists them as a 2 warmth and Ascents are 1, but with the hip zips, they may be able to dump heat better than the Ascents?

Also, the fabric on them doesnt feel as tough as the Mountain pants, but both are listed as a 4 in durability. Any concerns about the toughness of them?
They are warmer than the Ascent but like you mention, the thigh zip will help a ton. I think they are a good compromise for a little early season than blends into midseason.
The new fabric is tough; easily in the same league as the Mountain pant.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Recently received the Intercept pants and Hoody and I love the pants. Can't wait to use them in September for elk. The hoody is an exceptionally baggy fit so I ordered a Large as well to see if that will work better.

rjley

FNG
I am very interested in the pants. How do they fit compared to other Sitka pants? I am 5'7 185 lbs and wear 34-30 pants. I don't usually go for kneepads but I'll be saddle hunting more this year so I'm intrigued by the pads.

dtchhuntr

FNG
I have both the Intercept and Ascent pants. Torn on which one to use for first 2 weeks of September in Montana. Ascent feels like it will be lighter but maybe the Intercept offers a bit of chill protection? What would you pick?

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both the Intercept and Ascent pants. Torn on which one to use for first 2 weeks of September in Montana. Ascent feels like it will be lighter but maybe the Intercept offers a bit of chill protection? What would you pick?
If the weather is hot the Ascent pants are my pick. But as soon as the mornings get a little chilly and the middays cool I'll switch to the Intercept.

Recently received the Intercept pants and Hoody and I love the pants. Can't wait to use them in September for elk. The hoody is an exceptionally baggy fit so I ordered a Large as well to see if that will work better.

Did you happen to get the L in to compare?

The intercepter pants are awesome. I went back and forth on whether to use them or the ascents for my 8 day high country mule deer hunt. I chose the intercepter pant and had temps 38 - 75 degrees. They worked great for this hunt and the hip vents dump heat fast and work better than kuiu's as the vent is larger. The vent sits back further on the pant which actually keeps debris from getting in the pant since they do not have mesh lining. The knee pads work great as you can put them in and take them out easily through the vents.

The durability is what I was surprised by. I busted willows and sage all week and never even had a thread pull. Now I did end up getting tangled in barbed wire that I didn't see in the tall grass. I ended up falling over I tripped so hard and felt the wire pull on my pants. I expected to look down and see a complete tear as even my leg was scratched, but the pant only had a pin hole in it. That is a testament to the durability.

As for the shirt I decided to stick with the core lt wt hoody instead of the core merino 120. after 8 days I smelled terrible but who cares i'm hunting in the backcountry. I still like merino but am slowly wearing synthetic base layers more and more. At this point for me the only thing merino has going for it is odor control and I just don't care how I smell in the backcountry.

Final thought on pant: For me the interceptor takes the place of two pants. I can use the interceptor pant early and mid-season.

Sizing: I wear 32 in ascents and they are snug on me. the interceptor pants fits great in 32 little looser but not baggy. I would say perfect.

Last edited:
Got a pair of the Intercepts and I'm impressed! Has anyone weighed the kneepads? The marketing made it sound like they are super lightweight, and I was surprised how heavy they are.

Edit: They are 4oz for the pair. I thought they were a little heavier than that, but I was surprised how much heavier the pants feel with them in. For comparison, the SG kneepads are 2.1oz.

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
Sitka has been a little slow to add vents to their hunting pants, but they finally did it. Find out more about that and the other features of the Intercept Pant and Hoody in this review by @Josh Boyd.

thighvent.jpg

Sitka Intercept Pant and Hoody Review
Would it be safe to say these could be considered in the wool pant category with the obsidians but with better material and vents

Would it be safe to say these could be considered in the wool pant category with the obsidians but with better material and vents

I've never handled the obsidians, but the exterior fabric of the intercepts feels basically the same as the ascents or a lighter version of the mountains, if you are familiar with either of those.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Edit - They are approximately the same weight as the Obsidians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I've never handled the obsidians, but the exterior fabric of the intercepts feels basically the same as the ascents or a lighter version of the mountains, if you are familiar with either of those.
Thanks. Ill just grab another pair of obsidian. They are pretty good for bow season