Sitka Intercept Pant and Hoody Review, By Josh Boyd

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sitka has been a little slow to add vents to their hunting pants, but they finally did it. Find out more about that and the other features of the Intercept Pant and Hoody in this review by @Josh Boyd.

thighvent.jpg

Sitka Intercept Pant and Hoody Review

These seem like great pieces. Curious as to how the pants compare to the Mountain pants? I have been wanting those with hip vents for a while now.

Amen_R

FNG
$250 for a merino midlayer seems steep!? I love Sitka but they might be losing touch with some of their pricing and especially when you consider that other high end hunting brands are offering very similar items for less. Kuiu makes awesome merino base/midlayers for alot less. I was super stoked about this new upgraded Apex system but it seems like you get less features for more money. Im a huge Sitka guy but its hard to stay Sitka when there are other high end options for alot less money.

jd1006

WKR
What’s the merino % ? Seems like Barklow hinted that this improved on the apex line because the fabric takes a print better…I have not experienced fading on my Apex Hoody (and this hoody lacks the kangaroo pocket, correct?).

Amen_R

FNG
Not taking the material in to accunt its almost identical to the heavyweight hoody in terms of features. Midlayer with one chest pocket. Only added feature/difference from the HWH is elbow pads. So no there is no front pouch. But thats not a huge deal breaker, I never loved the front pouch on the APEX. Most the time with my pack on it was unusable. I guess it was nice for slipping off your pack and stalking in and having a place to put gloves release range finder etc. but I was 50/50 on the fron pouch.

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
The Apex pant was awesome at not being to warm on hot days. Is the Intercept good at keep you from overheating as well?

Bump79

WKR
These prices are completely preposterous. I like Sitka's gear, it's obviously high quality, but hunters should consider not supporting companies like this. At this price the gear better be 100% made in the United States by employees making a great wage with full benefits.. But no, it's made exclusively overseas and who knows what those factory conditions are like.

The profit margin of Gore on Sitka products has to be incredible. In some ways.. good for them for pulling the wool over our eyes. But it's a net loss for hunters. At the same price and nearly the same quality I'll support overseas Kuiu, SKRE, Pnuma, Kings & Kryptek because at least they aren't robbing us blind. I'll keep that money and spend it on tags and donate to the conservation company of my choice.

Gulch Gear, Forloh, Origin, Blackstock are producing products for much less and are made in the US.

Last edited:

Amen_R

FNG
These prices are completely preposterous. I like Sitka's gear, it's obviously high quality, but hunters should consider not supporting companies like this. At this price the gear better be 100% made in the United States by employees making a great wage with full benefits.. But no, it's made exclusively overseas and who knows what those factory conditions are like.

The profit margin of Gore on Sitka products has to be incredible. In some ways.. good for them for pulling the wool over our eyes. But it's a net loss for hunters. At the same price and nearly the same quality I'll support overseas Kuiu, Sitka, SKRE, Pnuma, Kings & Kryptek because at least they aren't robbing us blind. I'll keep that money and spend it on tags and donate to the conservation company of my choice.

Gulch Gear, Forloh, Origin, Blackstock are producing products for much less and are made in the US.
I completely agree with you on the price vs qaulity compared to other brands but your complaining about Sitka and then added them in your list of brands you support becasue they arent robbing you blind??

Bump79

WKR
I completely agree with you on the price vs qaulity compared to other brands but your complaining about Sitka and then added them in your list of brands you support becasue they arent robbing you blind??
Typo :)

Lets let this topic stay on topic and not bring politics or personal voews toward a company into it. This is a review of some gear, lets leave it at a review of gear. 👍🏻

Amen_R

FNG
Lets let this topic stay on topic and not bring politics or personal voews toward a company into it. This is a review of some gear, lets leave it at a review of gear. 👍🏻
Part of the discussion of gear is price point and quality, I dont think @Bump79 was trying to be political but at the end of the day it is a know fact that items manufactured outside the USA are typically done at a cheaper cost otherwise why do it? I dont think quality is the issue here, I think Sitka gear is still very high quality regardless of what country manufactures it and my hunting gear is probably 90% Sitka and I love the gear. Sitka is fully entitled to market their gear at any price they see fit. I love Sitka and still buy their products and will continue to do so but I think it should be fair game to discuss price and features and part of that is where its manufactured. Nothing political about it.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have both the pants and hoody in the shop now! The pants are going to be a great early season warmer weather option especially for archery hunting. One of the greatest features of the Apex line previously was how quiet these pieces were for archery hunting. The hoody will make a great stand alone piece for warm weather or a nice base layer for layering in cold weather!

Bump79

WKR
Part of the discussion of gear is price point and quality, I dont think @Bump79 was trying to be political but at the end of the day it is a know fact that items manufactured outside the USA are typically done at a cheaper cost otherwise why do it? I dont think quality is the issue here, I think Sitka gear is still very high quality regardless of what country manufactures it and my hunting gear is probably 90% Sitka and I love the gear. Sitka is fully entitled to market their gear at any price they see fit. I love Sitka and still buy their products and will continue to do so but I think it should be fair game to discuss price and features and part of that is where its manufactured. Nothing political about it.
This is more what I was getting at. I agree they make quality products - that's not the problem. It's not really a political statement that I was trying to make, it's a market based one as I believe firmly in being a informed consumer. There are diminishing returns of performance on products and I think the curve for hunting clothing falls something along a curve like this image below. It's not perfect but it illustrates my point.
1689882570383.png
Go to cheap and you get crap gear at point A. Point B you're getting okay stuff but you might as well spend a hair more to get to point C as the increase in quality/performance for your money is great. At Point D the value you gained from C is tangible but not significant, maybe not worth the money but that's personal preference. Maybe you just like company D more (camo pattern, personalities, conservation, etc) and that's fine.

However, once you get to point E and get nearly the same exact product as you would have at point D... You're essentially donating you're money to Gore. If you're donating your hard earned money to a company, personally I'd demand that they make their product with great wages and good benefits here in the ol' USA. Maybe at least a small business.

Personally, I won't be trying these clothes as there is no possible way that this hoody is 128% better than my Kuiu Peloton 200 I've been wearing for 6 years and still performs amazing. If they clear them out in 4 years like they did with the last line at 60%+ off that changes the equation and it moves the Sitka Intercept line closer to point C. However, more likely I'll continue getting products from company C or D when they are on sale and use that money to hunt more, or work less, or donate to a conservation organization. All of which I believe we can agree is a better use of our limited financial resources. I'd suggest everyone does the same as we'll all be better off.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review.
What temperature range would you estimate the pants would be comfortable both active and static?

Sorry for the late reply as I’ve been offline for a while…
I used these in temps ranging between 40 to 80 degrees. They are perfect for September in the mountains and wouldn’t be concerned to use them into the 20’s especially with a base layer. They are a well rounded pant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk