Slimming down pack - MR Metcalf to SG 40/56 or Kuiu 3200?

fwafwow

WKR
I thought about posting this on the backpack forum, but I thought doing so here would *minimize* the number of responses about saving weight isn't as important as fit and the ability to carry weight. (I do acknowledge those are valid points.)

My next hunt is for elk (state STILL tbd) and we plan to be out in the woods 5-7 days. I have the MR Metcalf and while I've yet to use it outside, I've been bitten with the LW bug following wearing it for some time and miles on the treadmill. My Metcalf weights in at 6.1# empty. It does feel comfortable, but the thought of cutting a few pounds from the pack is appealing to me. I've therefore been looking at a few options:
  1. SG 40/56 - 4#, with good capacity but I would like a few outside pockets (bugle tube, Nalgene), which I suppose I can add.
  2. SG Evo3300 - at 3.8# it's the lightest I'm considering, but doubt the 0.2# difference from the 40/56 is worth the capacity difference.
  3. Kuiu 3200 - 4.1# but significantly less capacity. I've seen where some have been able to use this for more than 1-3 days, and if I follow through on the LW effort, maybe this is doable?
I welcome comments - on the above or others I should consider. I really like the Exo k2 3500, but I'm not sure just a pound difference is worth it given that I'm going to lose some $ on selling the Metcalf (although I admit I'm shaving fractions of an ounce on other things - but not always spending money to do so).

Thanks in advance!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
How about a forth option? Kuiu icon pro frame with ultra 4000 bag?

Wow - I don't know how I missed that option. Thanks!

I was using the Custom Pack Builder and just using the arrows doesn't show the 4000 as an option. I had to click on "Ultra" to get the 4000 to show up. That build, for XL and Icon Pro suspension, comes to 58 oz and the least expensive option of the 5 bags. If you have this, do you think the 2oz savings on the Ultra Pack Suspension is worth it? I'd be inclined to stick with the thicker padding on the Icon Pro.

JD619er

WKR
If the metcalf is comfortable then I wouldn't buy the SG just because it's lighter especially if your going to add weight by adding pockets. Ditch the lid on the metcalf and run a kifaru standard lid. The buckles are compatible and it will nock about a pound (maybe a little less) off your total pack weight. I've been bitten by that bug multiple times and have owned kifaru mystery ranch stone glacier and kuiu and I always talk myself into another pack based off small things like weight or pocket layout. But at the end of the day none of that crap matters near as much as how that pack feels when your hiking for miles and miles. And you will never notice a pound or two.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
If the metcalf is comfortable then I wouldn't buy the SG just because it's lighter especially if your going to add weight by adding pockets. Ditch the lid on the metcalf and run a kifaru standard lid. The buckles are compatible and it will nock about a pound (maybe a little less) off your total pack weight. I've been bitten by that bug multiple times and have owned kifaru mystery ranch stone glacier and kuiu and I always talk myself into another pack based off small things like weight or pocket layout. But at the end of the day none of that crap matters near as much as how that pack feels when your hiking for miles and miles. And you will never notice a pound or two.

Thanks JD619er. I wish I could try several out, but unless I order a bunch and wear them, I seem to be resorting to the objective criteria of weight. To that end, I was just trying to build out a light Kifaru pack, but the process seemed pretty complicated (to me, at least). Which of those that you have had did you prefer for feel?

Dropping the MR lid (14 oz) and replacing with the Kifaru lid (3.5oz) is a great suggestion if I end up keeping the Metcalf.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How well does the metcalf work for you, just the bag itself? Maybe a slimmed down custom made bag will work?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
How well does the metcalf work for you, just the bag itself? Maybe a slimmed down custom made bag will work?
As a rookie who has only worn it on a treadmill, I've got limited experience with which to judge the bag, or the fit for that matter. I've put no more than 45lbs into the bag, so I'm not even sure yet that it really works. I admit I tend to obsess about new and better, and maybe I just need to move on to another part of my list to shave weight elsewhere, and if this pack doesn't work in the field, *then* I consider a swap?

Or I could just order a few bags, including the SG, Kuiu and Kifaru, and load them up for a week or two to pick the best one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JD619er

WKR
Thanks JD619er. I wish I could try several out, but unless I order a bunch and wear them, I seem to be resorting to the objective criteria of weight. To that end, I was just trying to build out a light Kifaru pack, but the process seemed pretty complicated (to me, at least). Which of those that you have had did you prefer for feel?

Dropping the MR lid (14 oz) and replacing with the Kifaru lid (3.5oz) is a great suggestion if I end up keeping the Metcalf.
I've owned a bikini and argali, a hunter frame and mountain warrior, and both the duplex lite and ultra lite and the tahr and dt2. Dispite what most people prefer I liked the bikini the best. I've always had issues finding a kifaru bag I love and keep coming back to the super simple duffle style bags like the argali and tahr. Right now I'm on my second tahr with a side zipper. Unfortunately for me I'm having a hard time getting the kifaru belt to fit me right. I know a lot of people love it and they make great products trust me I own other kifaru gear besides their packs. But with my boney a** waist at barely 30" and an XS belt I keep getting bruising on my hip bones. I love their products and like supporting them but I just ordering a new mystery ranch to try out the guidelite MT frame since there looks to be a lot of passing in the new belt which would suit me. I loved the SG x curve but the frame sat way above my ears and like you stated didn't like not having any side pockets for a bugle tube treking poles etc...plus the way the xcurve belt is built if you want to run a water bottle pocket it has to run way forward on the waist belt which interferes with my arm movement while hiking. Also the hydro holster sloshes like crazy.
I keep thinking about an exo but no kidding almost every picture I see of someone with heavy weight in an exo the belt is sagging hard. And I've read several reviews about that. Obviously all these packs are made well and fit people differently and all deserve credit in their own respect for making a good product but like Aron Snyder says at the end of the day someone is getting paid. They all want to specialize in something. Find the one that fits you good and stick with it. And if the mystery ranch fits you good then don't go chasing the holy Grail of packs. Dump that money and energy into other gear or another tag ....or hell something nice for the wife so she keeps putting up with our obsessions lol

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Find the one that fits you good and stick with it. And if the mystery ranch fits you good then don't go chasing the holy Grail of packs. Dump that money and energy into other gear or another tag ....or hell something nice for the wife so she keeps putting up with our obsessions lol

This seems to be pretty consistent advice - thank you. I do think that I should try out at least one more pack so that I can see the differences. And based on what so many have said about Kifaru, I can't help but look at the UL frame, but I'm having trouble choosing the bags. Looks like some you mentioned aren't made anymore. I think the Muskeg 5000 and Reckoning look interesting..... :)

JD619er

WKR
For sure. If I needed side pockets the reckoning would be my choice. The muskeg is basically the perfect bag layout for me but Im not a huge fan of x pac and I personally don't care for the coyote/goldish color but the side zip, slim front pocket, weight, and bottom slot pockets are about perfect in my opinion.

ljalberta

WKR
If you can afford to eat the return shipping costs, I would order the ones you're interested in and you'll be able to find which works best for you and your body. One thing with packs that's certain is they fit everyone's body different and the best for one may be an uncomfortable nightmare for another. You'll also (hopefully) be able to avoid the voice in your mind that wonders what 'else' is out there. At least for a little while... haha.

Jimbob

WKR
6 lbs is not terrible. If you want to cut weight then seek outside is where I would look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To me, packs are like boots. You trade off a lot of function to go too far down the weight scale. My first “hunting” pack I bought to replace my army gear was an EMR 2 on a 26 inch tactical frame. I could have hauled a horse with that thing but add a few pouches and it wa s almost 10# empty. I currently have a Metcalf on a guidelight. About 6#. I will be hiking next month my brother and his 2# Hyperlite mountain pack that is 2#. Granted, I could go with something lighter but his pack maxes out at about 40# load and it doesn’t handle abrasion well. For hunting, I think there is a sweet spot for weight and capability and durability. To me the Metcalf is pretty close to perfect in terms of balance and it is MRs best selling pack for a reason.

I’ll pipe up on my current setup at 5.04 lbs

Kuiu Ultra 4000
Apex Shoulder Straps
Icon Pro Hip Belt
Icon Pro Hip Belt Pocket
XLT Carbon Frame
Front Add on Compression Straps
Top Add on basic style compression straps
Kifaru Gun Bearer (Long universal hip belt strap + normal style top release strap)

I honestly can’t see how I would get any lighter without sacrificing comfort for those heavy loads. I’m happy to carry its weight. I think the only way I could get lighter might be going the stone glacier route but at what weight savings once I add it all together.

Cody_W

WKR
I have the 40/56 with the Evo Krux and absolutely love it. the pack is so comfortable and you can cinch everything down where not a thing moves.

renagde

WKR
I have a cousin with a 40/56 on a x-frame and a brother with a 40/56 on a evo frame. Both are really really happy with their setups. My cousin used his on a 3 week hunt last year (I think they split it into 5 or 6 day outtings). My brother hasn't used his on a western hunt yet but he's used it extensively hauling around a hang on tree stand with steps and about 3 whitetails. Both are happy with the amount of space, although they are both running the evo lid.