Stone Glacier and Kifaru

Slim Jim

WKR
I was at ISE today and checked out the SG Terminus. The weight is unbelievable! It's so light it seems like it would break or not hold up. If the load lifters work well like the reviews state, it would be a great purchase for someone that doesn't have the extra $100+ to get the Kifaru

Shrek

WKR
Terminus pack = $609 or 7000 ci high camp $ 601. It appears to me that a terminus is $8 more than the bikini high camp. The 4800ci high camp is $22 more than the solo but it is 1500 ci larger also. Oh , the large high camp is 1000 ci larger than the terminus. For about equal cost and about 8 oz more you get Kifaru comfort and bomb proof durability. You also get a much larger accessory selection and a proven company with impeccable service and very high resale value. In the big picture there is no comparison in my opinion.

Shrek

WKR
And something else. The high camp also offers a load shelf and TWO attachment points so you can keep the weight up high with no chance it will slide down. Other than @8 oz I can't find anything about the stone glacier system that is better.

Beastmode

WKR
And something else. The high camp also offers a load shelf and TWO attachment points so you can keep the weight up high with no chance it will slide down. Other than @8 oz I can't find anything about the stone glacier system that is better.

Have you used either of these packs a lot? Its pretty hard to know what pack is better than another just by going off spec sheets, pictures and a side by side comparison from one guy. Kifaru makes a great pack, but who is to say the stone glacier isn't just as good... new companies and new products is why this industry is so competitive. Everyone is trying to come out with the latest and greatest and us consumers benefit from this. To say one pack is better or worse than another is unfair without trying both of them.

It all comes down to how a pack fit an individual. What is right for me may not be right for you.. Kifaru definitely covers a large range of people as most will agree it is a great product. I think within the next few years Stone Glacier and Kuiu are going to have some packs coming out that will be right up there with Kifaru, and to some the current packs these companies have out are even better than Kifaru.

Shrek

WKR
Beastmode , my post says "in my opinion and I can't see " I did not state as fact and most all of us are going off reviews of the bikini as production hasn't reached the market yet.
You yourself state that " in a couple of years " the competition may make packs that rival the Kifaru packs which implies you don't think they are there either. I'm just looking at black and white specs and pointing out companies track record and basing my opinion on that. I will soon have a bikini high camp to use but I will not have a krux frame pack to compare it to. I may stop in Bozeman when I come out this fall and put my hands on one but I will already own a bikini.
BTW , who do you think is making better packs than Kifaru and why do you think that they are better ?

Beastmode

WKR
As of right now Kifaru is the best pack for me that I have used. There are a ton of packs I haven't had the luxury of trying. I have tried a handful of different packs. I just find it hard to say one pack is better than another when I haven't tried the other or even the one im saying is better.

Im not in any way bashing your opinion because we are all entitled to our own. I agree Kifaru makes an excellent product. I am not going to say its better than a pack I haven't tried. Thats all. I can't tell someone I like food A better than food B when I have never had food B.

dotman

WKR
Well in time we will findout if the SG keeps up with all the hype behind it currently (in a few years we'll really know, look at tenzing and how much hype they received only to really findout the long-term reliability wasn't there), I wish Kurt the best. Personally I don't see myself moving from Kifaru, heck the bikini will be the third one I've had, hopefully the last for awhile.

But competition is innovation and we all benefit from it, I bet MR starts to change its tune an listen to its customers requests about less weight and functioning load lifters once Kifaru isn't the only other player.

Shrek

WKR
If it all works out I may get to try a krux frame pack this fall and will have a more informed opinion. If you had asked me before the bikini frame became available I would have said that a heavy load capable pack that weighs 3.5 to 4 lbs less than a duplex pack had a lot to offer. In fact I was going to order one until the bikini was announced.I think stone glacier advanced the competition and Kifaru raised the bar again.

Shrek

WKR
Matt , as part of your review could you load up both packs and throw them both off a roof a couple of times each like Aron did in his testing of the bikini ? It would be interesting to see if they both can handle the abuse of a fall off a cliff. The frame you have has been tossed a couple of times already but it might give up and I have never heard of this type of testing of the terminus.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Terminus pack = $609 or 7000 ci high camp $ 601. It appears to me that a terminus is $8 more than the bikini high camp. The 4800ci high camp is $22 more than the solo but it is 1500 ci larger also. Oh , the large high camp is 1000 ci larger than the terminus. For about equal cost and about 8 oz more you get Kifaru comfort and bomb proof durability. You also get a much larger accessory selection and a proven company with impeccable service and very high resale value. In the big picture there is no comparison in my opinion.

I'll hold my opinion until I've actually hunted with both packs. Both the Bikini and the SG packs are very new to market (less than 2 years on both for overall testing) in most of it in the hands of the select few before they came to market. Time will tell how durable each is, but until then its anyones guess.

Having only hauled with the SG I was very impressed overall to be honest. The main thing that I prefer my Kifaru packs is the waistbelt system. Other than that the SG pack worked FOR ME great. Also the HC Bikini is nearly 15% heavier than the SG which is something to consider as well. That said I have a HC Bikini on order. But until I get more time over one or another I can't really be too confident in giving any reviews. And I'm not a big fan of just loading them up a couple times for some 5 mile day hikes and calling that a review. I generally hold off my overall impressions until I have a full season with one, which is why I have refrained for the most part on my thoughts of the SG pack as well.

Last edited:

jherald

WKR
For my own personal fit, SG has been hands down better than any pack I have had. Have not tried Kifaru though. It has handled my 100 pound test run loads perfectly for that kind of weight. Now I just need to add 60 pounds of boned out sheep or several loads of Moose quarters and some blood stains!

Brad W

FNG
For my own personal fit, SG has been hands down better than any pack I have had. Have not tried Kifaru though. It has handled my 100 pound test run loads perfectly for that kind of weight. Now I just need to add 60 pounds of boned out sheep or several loads of Moose quarters and some blood stains!

This is where I am also, except I'll be using my SG Solo for a couple black bears and maybe a grizz in a couple months. The fit and comfort with 75 pounds is great. Kifaru might be a great pack also, but I was able to get a SG in my hands in under a week to form an opinion on it. If the SG was not something I felt was of the the utmost quality and fit I could have sent it back and ordered something else but that wont be necesary for me at least.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Daveinjax,

Durability testing is planned soon.

As soon as I get the Heavy Load Out kit, I will do a load sling video.

I have not read the entire thread so I apologize if what I post has already been touched on.
I could see how people would have strong opinions about either of these packs, they aren't cheap! Its like you marry one and thats it since most of use can barely afford one let alone both of these bags. I just had to commend both companies for allowing a review by an independent person that is exclusive to this site. An established name like Kifaru and an up and comer like SG. It is such a competitive market with so many packs to choose from so I believe that this only helps the real world end users like us. That speaks volumes in itself to the integrity of both company owners as well as this site having deep roots in the community as far as back country hunting is concerned. Big props to Kifaru and Stone Glacier for providing their products to be allowed to be reviewed without bias and to Bitterroot for giving us the review. Looking forward to the rest of the review. I will definitely stay tuned. I just married a DT1 and don't plan on splitting up with her anytime soon,lol.

Jon Boy

WKR
If it all works out I may get to try a krux frame pack this fall and will have a more informed opinion.

Your opinion is so incredibly biased based on your last few posts that it really will have no weight in the minds of people, so I wouldnt waste the money on getting the krux frame. Thats why its awesome having BB do it because hes running a kuiu. This review is really going to be the deciding factor for me on which pack I get and because ive never owned either. I do think that company loyalty is an awesome thing though and its nice to see people stick up for there favorite companies.

Shrek

WKR
I admit it , I'm biased. I was infatuated with the terminus all last fall and was about to marry one when I saw the hot new kifaru in bikini and had second thoughts about the terminus. After some hard soul searching I married the kifaru and I'm sure I made the right choice. However , if the Kifaru lets me down I will be getting a quick divorce and running off with a new love :D