The customer is always wrong?

triguy75

FNG
Sorry for the long post, long time lurker and lots of good info here. This is just to vent about a recent elk hunting trip.

Apparently I do everything wrong:
Me: Rem Model 700 in 7MM with a Swarovski Z3 4-12X50, shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX. I will say this is a gun that was a family heirloom to me and I will not change anything about it. The rifle will stay as it is and if I ever shoot an elk with it it will be as it sits today.

I was told I needed at a minimum a 300 WM but preferably a 300 PRC or even more
I needed a Fusion action with a carbon fiber barrel and a supressor
A Quigley Ford scope is much better than the Swarovski, and I should use a good mount like a Simmons

Also EVERY one of my political AND religious views was wrong because mine are based on opinions and feelings, and theirs was based on facts.

As they say you should avoid politics and religion at family gatherings, and I would have preferred to keep them out of the elk woods as well.

I will now search other posts for new guides for my next elk hunting adventure. Thanks for letting me sound off here.

OP
T

triguy75

FNG
I won't comment on the rifle, but if you share your political or religious beliefs then you should be prepared to be challenged on them.
Could not agree more, for full disclosure I was not the one that brought either topic up and did my best to avoid engaging until directly asked. I try to not get into those discussions with people I don't know well.

Context? Were you on a guided hunt hence the "customer" reference in the subject heading? And you were getting these comments from the guides or other guided hunters?

OP
T

triguy75

FNG
Context? Were you on a guided hunt hence the "customer" reference in the subject heading? And you were getting these comments from the guides or other guided hunters?
I was on a fully guided hunt. This was the guide making these comments and asking the questions. It was one on one with the guide.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Please tell us more about this religion that is based on facts. I’ve been in the market for a religion such as that for years.
Much like politics, a lot of people see the facts right in front of them but still prefer to believe something else.

From my experience, I've always found that the customer is usually wrong.

Scoot

WKR
I see you're new here. Just an FYI for you-- it seems like you're venting and my guess is you're hoping for some pats on the back and to be told "they were wrong, you were right, don't sweat it" kinda stuff. Well... I've found that most Rokslide therapy comes in the form of tough love. Some of the best advice I've seen given here was absolutely not what the OP wanted to hear. It was still good advice though.

Live and learn. Don't go back to that outfitter. Hell, don't use an outfitter in the future! They, and their associations, are "legally stealing" tags from DIY hunters in states all across the West. F em! Go on your own and you don't need to worry about rude guides with crappy customer service. But... if you choose to hunt with someone you don't really know again (i.e., a new guide who you have no previous relationship with), don't be too shocked if you run into something kinda similar again. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm sure my opinion will be unpopular, but how can you spend time in beautiful country and completely avoid the topic of religion, assuming you have one? I'd talk on it with anyone I was on a hunt with, and if they want to disagree or challenge me, I can choose to engage or simply say "you're absolutely right." And smile, and keep on hunting.

If you can't defend your religion, how religious can you be?

So many questions:
1. What outfitter is it that hurt your feelings?
2. Be honest, did you really have someone say you NEEDED a min of 300wm, a very specific custom action, carbon barrel, and suppressor or is that just what they said would be ideal for them?
3. Did they really say all of that and say you should use a simmons scope mount?