The customer is always wrong?

OP
T

triguy75

FNG
Lots of good things for me to chew on and think about. The trip left a bad taste in my mouth and was venting and likely was looking for some confirmation that I was not being unduly critical. I didn't like the way this particular outfitter operated, lesson learned and I will adjust accordingly. I appreciate all the feedback that agrees and disagrees with what happened and how I handled it. If I end up going solo then the only person I have to blame for anything is me (and the voices in my head as someone pointed out.)

I don't want to list the outfitter since my experience is N=1 and someone else could have a completely different experience and my feelings shouldn't impact someone else.

I likely overstated that I NEEDED specific rifle items, it was strongly suggested that what I had was inadequate and that what they use or suggest is really the "best" so that is what I should be using. I agree that they are out there a lot more than I am and have a lot more experience in elk hunting than do. It was the delivery rather than the message that I didn't like. My problem, not theirs.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I can't help myself. This is not directed at you, OP. It just always comes screaming back whenever someone asks about the customer being right.

CRJR45

WKR
I love having these conversations with guides , I really love hearing their logic , or the reason they think the way they do .
But , I never get upset if we disagree . I am just amazed at the things some people believe . Like religion , it floors me to talk to people who believe , and hear why they believe .
Politics , religion , sex , just about anything , I can talk about and not let my feelings come into play .
It's called Emotional Quotient , the ability to agree to disagree . Getting upset is a choice , IMO .

Reactions: CMF
My only guided hunts have been long Canadian hunts. Each time there was enough down time and friendship developed that both politics and religion has been a topic. I think the political conversations have been difficult to avoid due to Covid. It had a dramatic effect on their industry. Religion has come up each time as well. Both from believers and non-believers. They are awesome challenging conversations that have never become a point of contention. Just an opportunity for self reflection and an interesting chat.

I do have friends and acquittances that I wonder how they could possibly handle those conversations on a hunting trip.

The gear rant seems like hyperbole. A 7 mag is dang near perfect for a western elk hunt and has been for a long time.

Well OP, as a bowhunter and archery junkie, you just summed up why Last Chance Archery sells so many bow presses. Its a bit different from outfitters, but far too many archery shops have that attitude towards customers. The customer isnt always right, but you have to at least entertain the possibility that they might be right sometimes.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I will confirm you can kill an elk with a SWARO Z3. I've seen me do it.

Everything else I agree with your guide.

Sorry for the long post, long time lurker and lots of good info here. This is just to vent about a recent elk hunting trip.

Apparently I do everything wrong:
Me: Rem Model 700 in 7MM with a Swarovski Z3 4-12X50, shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX. I will say this is a gun that was a family heirloom to me and I will not change anything about it. The rifle will stay as it is and if I ever shoot an elk with it it will be as it sits today.

I was told I needed at a minimum a 300 WM but preferably a 300 PRC or even more
I needed a Fusion action with a carbon fiber barrel and a supressor
A Quigley Ford scope is much better than the Swarovski, and I should use a good mount like a Simmons

Also EVERY one of my political AND religious views was wrong because mine are based on opinions and feelings, and theirs was based on facts.

As they say you should avoid politics and religion at family gatherings, and I would have preferred to keep them out of the elk woods as well.

I will now search other posts for new guides for my next elk hunting adventure. Thanks for letting me sound off here.

Quigley-Ford? Never heard of her
Simmons mounts? I wouldn't use a simmons mount on a 22LR.
300wm or 300 PRC?? Are you shooting animals out at 1300 yards??
I would agree suppressors should be mandatory but the Fusion action w/ carbon fiber barrel.....not so much

Political and religious belief based on opinion and feeling are based on shakey soil. Your opinions don't matter and your feelings will lie to you. As long as you understand that, you can't be upset or butthurt when you're feelings and opinions are disproven

This is a hunting forum not a political forum. IF you're a hunter then we should be on the same side for allowing for proper conservation. Proper conservation is allowing there to be a portion of animals that can be removed from the landscape without having permanent negative impact on the environment, herd numbers, and other species

Please tell us more about this religion that is based on facts. I’ve been in the market for a religion such as that for years.

You can make up your own religion. It only takes a few hours of taking down thoughts and writing things out in an orderly fashion so that you can explain yourself.

LOL. Guided hunts are a suckers bet.

Bottom line I wouldn't want to be on either side of that coin. A hunt where I hired a babysitter to tell me what to do, or be hired by largely woefully unprepared people to do something as difficult and physically demanding as elk hunting.

WKR
Hunt solo. Then your views and opinions are always correct. Unless you start arguing with yourself.
Talking to yourself is fine. But if you start answering yourself.......

But I'm 56. So that also happens sometimes.

If someone told me they supported Biden and Harris and thought they were doing a great job I’d probably be rude too. Lol

But even at that I couldn’t keep a straight face telling them a 7mm and Swarovski products suck. He lost his credibility there. If a guide told me that I’d probably be rude too. Lol

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with a GO.

Many years ago I had a transporter go up one side of me and down the other of my choice of Firearm, for a Elk Sheep Moose hunt, a Browning in 300 win mag, Vari x 3, crap he said.
Funny though, suddenly along that trip, an Elk that was further out there than he was comfortable with his own gun, ...... Can I use yours, in which he killed a nice 7x6.

Hypocrite.