The customer is always wrong?

hunterjmj

WKR
I've never been on a guided hunt so I have no experience but it seems like you rarely hear of great outfitted/guided hunt experiences. Maybe expectations are to high or they truly are crappy outfits. I have a cousin who went on a Montana horseback elk hunt and said service was terrible, didn't see an elk, his guide was a drunk, etc. My brother-in-law went on a Montana guided elk hunt and had the same experience. It's hard to know what the truth is without being there so who knows.
Both these guys have been invited to hunt with our group here in Montana but they always kick the can. Maybe doing it diy is to overwhelming or something.

dtrkyman

WKR
People can be a bit stupid, I wouldn't expect it from a guide but am not totally surprised. After he torched my gear I would have likely said who cares what I am shooting you can't put me on anything to shoot anyway🤷‍♂️.

And we all know Swarovski is just junk...lol

I have been a guide in some shape or form for 20 plus seasons, and keep gear comments to myself unless something looks compromised! I am often asked my opinions but I am an archery guy so my gun comments are really basic, like can you hit what you point at!

Rifle efficacy debates are laughable to us archery hunters!!!

for the most part the key to a good guided experience is pre booking research. I have used Outfitters for 27 yrs and have only had 2 bad experiences both caused by me not vetting references as much as I should. Even then it is possible you catch a bad guide or really tough hunting conditions. Unfortunately Hunting is hunting not shooting and bad experiences happen. All in all I have made some great friends of my guides and still use the guided method on all of my hunts. I just spend more time up front checking out the Outfitter on the front end.