Trail runners

For you guys that hunt In Lightweight "trail running " type shoes, which solomens are you using?

Or other suggestions?

I've used cheap Columbias, new balance, under armour, some lowa zephyrs (which I loved but blew out in two weeks) returned them for renegades, which were decent but I don't think I need anything that heavy (I could go that heavy again but don't want any heavier). Right now I'm using some Keens for everyday use and have been hiking in a pair of adidas swift R. Which are so far my favorite trail runners I've owned. But thinking of picking up a pair of solomens to run through archery season to see if they are any better than my adidas.

So what ya got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't hunt in them. But Iv been using inov8 trail runners for a while. If you want lightweight and grippy sole take a look at what they have.

I backpack/packraft in the Speedcross for most of the summer, and usually wear them for some of our swampier fall hunts as well. Pleased with the durability, though I have eventually worn holes in the fabric of the uppers after a few seasons I can honestly say I totally got my monies worth (and I admittedly asked more of them than they were probably designed for).

Whatever trail runner you choose, If you plan to pack any kind of load in them, I highly recommend tossing the stock insoles and adding superfeet (or another rigid after market insole...NOT the flexible gel style insoles). It will greatly increase the torsional rigidity of the shoe, and make them much stiffer for packing heavier loads in any kind of uneven terrain.

Fyi, I just happened to be by an REI picking up a bike pump and they have their speedcross and some other Salomon shoes marked down from $130 to $90 or so.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have two sets that I have settled on for summer runs. I really like Speedcross for loose or soft terrain. Personally I feel they're subpar on hard packed trails. When it comes to those, I wear Mizuno Wave Kazan's. Winter trails, IceBug DTS2 all the way.

Maybe check out Inov 8 X-Talons as well. I know one or two people who race in them and really like them.

I do not like running in UA Fat Tires. Just not my thing, however I love mowing the lawn and knocking around the house in them.

My $0.02.

I use Lasportiva GTX on soft trails. The problem I have using them is when I come accross large gravel or rockslides that I didn't plan on encountering. The softer sole doesn't protect well from the sharp edges. If I am sure of encountering such terrain, I wear my USMC RAT boots, the soles are much stiffer. I also don't carry more than 25-30 lbs in the lighter shoes because they aren't meant to carry the extra weight and the cushion becomes a liability.

I used to manage shoe stores in the mall, shoes with EVA midsoles require a day of between wearings to recoup their elasticity (cushioning) to properly support (cushion) your feet. If I will be out everyday, I bring two pairs of shoes/boots or simply take my one pair with polyurethane midsoles.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Ive been using a pair of la sportiva bushido's, they have a fairly stiff sole and I really like them. Im done with the solomon speedcross as the bushidos fit me better, with that said the speedcross shoes are great.

I've been using XA PRO 3D GTXs for around 7-8 yrs, on my 3 pair. Love them, however i doubt i will use them this year. I need more ankle support due to an ankle injury, and my tags are all in super steep country

I don't think they really fall in the trail runner category and I'm not hunting in them but I just got some vasque juxt last month. So far I like them well enough.

I trail run in speed cross shoes. I'm not sure my feet could wear them on a hunt. I need a sturdier sole when I'm carrying a pack.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

Back