Truck Downsizing Question

Vandy321

WKR
What's your idea of "great gas mileage" in your Tacoma? I like the trucks, but from everyone I know who ones one the gas mileage is equal or worse to a half ton (not including the Tundra which also sucks).

If it helps...

I got 17-19 mph in a tuned 4th gen 6.7 cummins with 37 M/Ts...

We get 18-19mph in my wife's '16 stock 4 runner on stock sized Toyo ATs. I wouldn't expect it to be worse in a Tacoma with a bed cover, should be the same motor and less weight.

alaskanparret

Lil-Rokslider
I was about to say!

2008 duramax 3500 I get pushing 28mpg if I’m on flat roads doing 60mph. About 21mpg now with winter fuel and doing 75-80 on the highway commute.

GF’s 13 Ford Explorer is only getting 20 mpg on the same drive so I’m happy with those numbers!

Had a 2008 Tundra for years. Best mileage I ever saw was 20.1 when I was babying the gas for an entire tank just to see. Averaged 13-14 in the winter being in 4wd a lot and 16-17 in the summer just going on highway road trips. Loved that truck. Gobs of power, felt great towing, beat it to hell and it never skipped a beat. However, towing even a tow place trailer you’re looking at 10-12mpg and 8mpg towing a car trailer with a SxS on it.

Do I miss the tundra now that I have the duramax? Yes and no. Miss the responsiveness of a gas engine and ride quality is all. Everything else so far I love more with this truck.

Ford EcoBoost or the mini Duramax would be what I’d look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clarence

WKR
If you like gm, I would look to the 1500 full size offerings. Low 20ish mpg with a all terrain type tire stock sized tire is obtainable, and you can still have a 6.5 foot bed you can camp in. The Colorado isn't much cheaper, and they seem to get the same fuel mileage, unless you go diesel. Except for heavy towing, diesel trucks don't make sense to me right now. Gas engines are so efficient right now. Alot less upfront expense, cheaper to fill the tank, cheaper to maintain, no def, and you don't have to wonder if it will start when you get back to the truck and it's 0° out. My.02

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I went from an 08 f250 with the 6.4 diesel, to an 03 f250 with the 5.4 for about 2 weeks and now drive an 04 ram 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins. I’ll probably be driving this as long as I can. I was mostly looking for a 3/4 ton, but this truck was immaculate, fully loaded, and had less than 100k when I bought it a year ago. I liked the 6.4, tons of power, drove it from NH to AK and back with a heavy trailer. But a pain to work on. I got the 5.4 because I said I was done with diesels, but that for about 10-11mpg driving like a granny and had no power at all. I’m getting about 16.5-17 with the Cummins and could probably do a bit better with some mods and a change of driving habits lol. I work on cars for a living so I get to drive different vehicles. I’m not sure about the new tundras, but some of the slightly older ones kind of drive/feel like junk in my opinion, considering they’re relatively light duty trucks. Even the Tacoma’s, fuel mileage isn’t that great. The ford half tons that have the eco boost, in less than impressed with that motor. The GM trucks have kept the same motor for quite awhile, so that might be something to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Went from daily driving an F250 to a 4runner. Nice to be able to park where I want and go about anywhere. Rack on the back for coolers and a massive Yakima on top for extended trips. Sleep in back. Get just shy of 20 mpg with a lift and big tires. Not sure about loaded down, but I don't really care. If heading that far off road I would carry fuel.

elkguide

WKR
Driving a 2500 GMC Denali Duramax myself. I get 17 - 20MPG but my foot is very heavy. Over the past 20 years I've had well over 20 guys working for me that had Toyotas and while they really are bullet proof, their gas mileage was lucky to get above 14MPG. Don't know of any of them that as they got married and had families that didn't all go to 1500 Fords or GMs.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
In a gas truck, mid size and F150-1500 are very close to the same in price and gas mileage. Both new and used. I just ordered a F250 in a tremor package with the new 7.3L gas. I went opposite of what you’re looking for.

Examples. My dad just ordered a new ranger no long ago. $47k. My new F250 I just ordered is $49k.

I guess it depends on how much space you need. A F150 eco boost will tow just about anything you need it to other than major heavy equipment. If you’re just hauling up to ATV type stuff then the midsize will work.

Anyone have experience with fitting car seats in extended cab sized 1500 trucks? Found a 2010 F150 supercab with less than 50k miles for a very reasonable price. Still in the rear facing carseat stage so I have that to consider, but in my area crew cabs consistently run 3-5 grand more.

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with fitting car seats in extended cab sized 1500 trucks? Found a 2010 F150 supercab with less than 50k miles for a very reasonable price. Still in the rear facing carseat stage so I have that to consider, but in my area crew cabs consistently run 3-5 grand more.

I really think you might regret the extended cab. My 04 ram is the full four door, but it’s basically the extra cab, just with a rear door that opens normally If that makes sense. That being said, it’s pretty cramped back there

Jimss

WKR
Not sure why a car seat wouldn't fit in any extended cab? I got extended cab in my Tundra and is super roomy behind the seat.. Most of the Tundra crew cabs have a shorter bed. The Tundra extended cabs have a full door which is super nice! I dreaded having to open the front door first in my old Dodge and Fords.

I've heard of a few guys that don't get very good gas mileage with their Tundras but I get 18 to 20 mpg on the highway. The worse I have ever gotten is 14 but that was when loaded against a stiff wind. If I'm super heavy footed going down the highway I get around 16 to 19 mpg. Most Tacomas get similar gas mileage (sometimes worse)....I'd much rather have gobs of room with similar gas mileage! That's pretty darn good for a bomber-proof truck that is likely going to last well over 200,000 miles and holds it's value well. It's also nice having a super soft ride. Go TUNDRA and don't look back!

Tradguy

FNG
I've been eyeballing a Tacoma, nice looking truck but from what you all are experiencing it doesn't sound like I would be getting any better MPG that my half ton Dodge. I am also 6'2" maybe I should look at other options.

A tacoma would be great if they didnt get horrible fuel mileage.... my ram 2500 turbo gets WAAAAY better mileage. Enough to make up the cost difference between gas and diesel... which is sad. I'll always own a 3/4 ton truck. If your going to own a truck. Get a truck. Not a toy truck.

zacattack

WKR
What's your idea of "great gas mileage" in your Tacoma? I like the trucks, but from everyone I know who ones one the gas mileage is equal or worse to a half ton (not including the Tundra which also sucks).

I get around 20 in town. Going from Michigan to Wyoming this fall I was between 25 and 28. Beats any other truck I’ve driven.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
You're going to have a hard time with a car seat in a mid size. I upgraded from extended cab to crew cab in a half ton because the car seats are huge and the back seat was not.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
This is actually what I am looking at getting. How is the room in it? Room for a car seat?

I just purchased a leftover 2019 Colorado ZR2 with the V6. If I had the option, I’d probably go with the diesel for the gas mileage (I get 18-20 mpg on highway). I was looking to get a used 1/2 ton but could not find one that made sense price wise. So for me, it made sense to buy new with the incentives... just something to look into.

I don’t feel undersized in the cabin (I believe Colorado’s are 3” wider than Taco) but you do feel the downsize when it comes to bed space. I don’t think you’d have a problem with a car seat in the back but am ignorant to the length of a car seat. If helpful, I can measure and send pics.

Fatcamp

WKR
A tacoma would be great if they didnt get horrible fuel mileage.... my ram 2500 turbo gets WAAAAY better mileage. Enough to make up the cost difference between gas and diesel... which is sad. I'll always own a 3/4 ton truck. If your going to own a truck. Get a truck. Not a toy truck.

Get both. 😀

I went from a 3/4T diesel to a Subaru Forester, the wife got a Subaru Ascent in the deal. Do I miss my truck? Kind of. ..... but the Forester is fun to drive, cheap to maintain and and go 99% of the places that I would take my truck anyway.

I will be keeping a close eye on GM's 1/2t diesel though. Got to replenish the car funds after getting the Ascent, and that should give the truck a few years to work the kinks out.

OP
WyoBowhunter21

I was wondering the same thing. I have the luxury of having a work truck so I put the car seat (attempted) in my 2017 Chevy 1500 double cab, similar to the super cab. Well if you put the seat In the middle it is super snug. Drivers side it won’t fit and the passenger needs to be super short for it to fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I downsized from a Ford F250, Lifted and tricked all out down to a 2019 Chevy silverado 1500. Broke my heart to get rid of big blue, but motor was blow after 275,000 miles. I was thinking of a new motor, but everything else was still original (trans, 4x4, suspension etc).
The Chevy is enough to pull my duck boat or ATV trailer. I do miss the 8' bed.
In the Ford you needed the seatbelts to hold you in place, the chevy you need the seatbelts for an accident.
Rides like a car.