Truck Downsizing Question

Brendan

WKR
Went through this recently.

The mid-sized gas trucks and SUV's don't do any better than an F150 in terms of mileage. In a lot of cases, they're worse. Diesels (mid and full sized) are more expensive to buy, more expensive to service, and more expensive to fuel up. The payback for most people isn't there, it's more if you just want one. (Exception being heavy towers, landscapers, etc.) I'm still convinced the 1/2 ton gas trucks are where it's at.

Had an F150 Crew Cab Ecoboost with a cap for 7 years, driving a V6 Grand Cherokee now because of the amount of driving I do for work. I can make it work with roof rack, Thule box, and bumper carrier, but miss my truck whenever hunting or hauling any amount of stuff with me.

Got a buck this year that I had to bring home with me from one of my hunts and felt like the Clampetts...

tdhanses

WKR
This is where I have been. Cost of the half tons used is killing me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I was you I’d look at the little diesel gm colorado. 30mpg and cheaper then a 1/2ton with towing and payload capacity of 1/2 ton trucks that are 10 years old.

tdhanses

WKR
I downsized from a Ford F250, Lifted and tricked all out down to a 2019 Chevy silverado 1500. Broke my heart to get rid of big blue, but motor was blow after 275,000 miles. I was thinking of a new motor, but everything else was still original (trans, 4x4, suspension etc).
The Chevy is enough to pull my duck boat or ATV trailer. I do miss the 8' bed.
In the Ford you needed the seatbelts to hold you in place, the chevy you need the seatbelts for an accident.
Rides like a car.

Ha, my f250 rides very nice but it is a 2019.

Beendare

WKR
.... We don’t tow anything big anymore as we sold all the big campers. We just tow a pop up and two place snowmobile trailer.

Assuming you are not over about 6'2", its a no brainier to downsize. ...cab comfort and towing is the only downside. The little trucks tow light trailers just fine.

The guys getting great mileage in the 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks are driving them like granny's. Even the new diesels with all of the emissions and Def don't get the fantastic mileage of the older diesels.

The best site for mileage numbers is Fuelly.

The avg full size 1/2 ton pickup 1500 in Chevy, Ram and Ford gets about 15-17. The new diesels get a little bit better...but at a high cost out the door.

The smaller trucks-Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado are typically averaging right around 20. The Tacoma is a little worse on mileage while the other 2 Ford and Chevy versions get a little to a lot better.

4wd performance improves going from a 3/4 to a 1/2 ton....and the little trucks are typically even better.

If I were you I would keep my full size. I have a 2017 Tacoma and as my family grows and I take it on longer hunting trips I now want to go full size. With my Taco the only way to fit it all is having a topper which can be a pain in the dick if you have to transport anything taller than the topper.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely get a four door. I just bought a 2015 Ford Eco boost extended cab. I have two kids under four years old (about to have 3) and I regret not getting a four door. Extended cab works, but its really tight, and opening suicide doors are a PITA in a parking lot.

My son bought a 18 Colorado and was immediately thankful he kept his 98 T100.
He got rid of the trash truck within a month.
Expensive lesson learned.

elkduds

WKR
The more I use my Ridgeline, the better I like it. Capable awd/4wd system, huge back seat that folds away for cargo space, 20+ mpg, tows 4K# over CO mountain passes, drives and rides better than any truck I've been in. Probably the most mechanically reliable truck made. Down and side hinging tailgate, sealed trunk under floor of bed.

Downsides: 5' bed, still 4' wide. Moderate ground clearance, not ideal for tough offroading. That is what the quad is for.
IMG_0111.JPG

RAPTOR

WKR
Assuming you are not over about 6'2", its a no brainier to downsize. ...cab comfort and towing is the only downside. The little trucks tow light trailers just fine.

The guys getting great mileage in the 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks are driving them like granny's. Even the new diesels with all of the emissions and Def don't get the fantastic mileage of the older diesels.

The best site for mileage numbers is Fuelly.

The avg full size 1/2 ton pickup 1500 in Chevy, Ram and Ford gets about 15-17. The new diesels get a little bit better...but at a high cost out the door.

The smaller trucks-Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado are typically averaging right around 20. The Tacoma is a little worse on mileage while the other 2 Ford and Chevy versions get a little to a lot better.

4wd performance improves going from a 3/4 to a 1/2 ton....and the little trucks are typically even better.

I get around 18 mpg avg in my raptor. Promise you I don't drive it like a granny and it's pushing 35" tires with a 200lb cap on the back. The F150's with the 2.7 are into the 20's and regular F150s with the 3.5 are close to 20. Granny driving will eek you out a few more but not major. My gen1 raptor got me about 14 avg.

I used to have a Tacoma. It got 20-23 mpg consistently driving around the mtns. I then moved up to a bigger truck (Tundra). I like the more room in the cab and bed but I do miss the Tacoma. It was nice for getting in on trails and places and I miss the mileage compared to the Tundra

fatlander

WKR
I love my 2011 Tacoma, but it drinks gas like my 95 F-150. My better half is the digital marketing lead for a 13 dealership conglomerate, and every time I bring my Tacoma in for an inspection I hear, “Do not sell that truck for a new Tacoma. They look great and that’s about the only good thing to say about them.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a trailer for sleds and kids why not go to a SUV like a Tahoe or Explorer. You can tow up to 5k. You have comfort and kid friendly 4x4. Plenty of room in the back to put in antelope\deer or quartered elk on a tarp. Or you get a rack for the tow hitch to put animals on. I just sold a k2500crew cab and it worked good for kids up until they are about 10. Then too tight on leg room. But I would never buy a truck smaller than a half ton. Not worth it unless its another arrow in the quiver.
Trucks are nice for firewood, whole elk etc, but always suffer on fuel.
We keep a F350 for towing, and a station wagon for town car/skiing/hunting grocery getter.

Marble

WKR
Hunting partner went from a what you have to a 1/2 ton dodge ram with the ecodiesel motor. Hes thrilled and the mileage is great. It's a pretty nice truck.

tttoadman

WKR
I have a 2018 Colorado with the mini duramax. totally love it. 26 MPG daily driving. freeway about 30. totally loaded going to ID to hunt got 27MPG. Comes with a full tow package including exhaust brake.

I downsized from a F350 crewcab 7.3. No regrets. I don't need to tow anything really heavy anymore.

alterations I have made.
1. 10 ply tires
2. level kit for the front
3. Rear support bags. I tried the air bags, and didn't like the hassle. I am really happy with these.
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Chevrolet/Colorado/SuperSprings/SSR-210-40.html

This is actually what I am looking at getting. How is the room in it? Room for a car seat?

I have the crew cab long bed. Plenty of room in the back seat for car seats. I can't speak for the extended cab on these.

NMhunter92

Lil-Rokslider
Tacoma guy here. 19-20 mpg Thing can go anywhere, pulls my ultralight trailer, add on bed extension plenty of room for what I need. Never had a issue owning 3 of them out in the woods

Beendare

WKR
I get around 18 mpg avg in my raptor. Promise you I don't drive it like a granny and it's pushing 35" tires with a 200lb cap on the back. The F150's with the 2.7 are into the 20's and regular F150s with the 3.5 are close to 20. Granny driving will eek you out a few more but not major. My gen1 raptor got me about 14 avg.

I don't doubt you but I have 3 buddies with Raptors....all averaging about 14mpg.

There is so much anecdotal evidence of MPG claims....the best resource for MPG is Fuelly [mentioned here in all of the truck threads]....where folks are accurately clocking their mileage over long periods
FUELLY.COM

Toytech70

FNG
I downsized from a F350 to a 1992 4Runner, did modify the 4Runner, bigger engine, better tires, etc, not going to break any speed records but the ride is great in the mountains on trails and makes you rethink if you really need to take that extra junk you never use in camp, I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk