Truck Downsizing Question

Alright I need some opinions and real life experiences from likeminded folk. I have started searching for a smaller truck than my 3/4 ton gmc gasser. We don’t tow anything big anymore as we sold all the big campers. We just tow a pop up and two place snowmobile trailer. My question is, has anyone dropped down in size from trucks to one of the mid sized trucks, if so, do you regret it? I will add we just had a baby which has be questioning a mid size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll just put it this way.........if I was single, I'd still have my crew cab long bed F-350. But I also have a Toyota 4x4 which I love.

FLAK

WKR
I just upsized to a Ram 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel.
That said, I now need a off road vehicle since my
son has claimed my FJ80. Would like to find a 85
or earlier Toy 4wd PU and flatbed it.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I'll just put it this way.........if I was single, I'd still have my crew cab long bed F-350. But I also have a Toyota 4x4 which I love.

Haha I am with you. If I was single, I would have a one ton duramax but family dollars need to go els-where than my fuel ha.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I just upsized to a Ram 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel.
That said, I now need a off road vehicle since my
son has claimed my FJ80. Would like to find a 85
or earlier Toy 4wd PU and flatbed it.

Wish I could do that! I will live vicariously through guys like you! Do you like the Cummins.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Not much advantage to the smaller truck (tacoma, colorado, etc) unless you need to get in tight spaces. Go half ton. F150, Tundra, etc. Gas milage not a noticeable difference (except the Tundra) and you got enough room.

This is where I have been. Cost of the half tons used is killing me.

FLAK

WKR
Wish I could do that! I will live vicariously through guys like you! Do you like the Cummins.

So far, so good. Only had it a couple of weeks. First Diesel, so its kinda weird for me. About to take it on a trip over to NM. Its really a nice ride with only 26K miles. Hopefully it will last quite a while.

I sold a 2500 and got a Ram 1500 eco diesel. Been great, way better fuel economy, oil changes cost more, but it’s definitely easier to drive around town and park.

tttoadman

WKR
I have a 2018 Colorado with the mini duramax. totally love it. 26 MPG daily driving. freeway about 30. totally loaded going to ID to hunt got 27MPG. Comes with a full tow package including exhaust brake.

I downsized from a F350 crewcab 7.3. No regrets. I don't need to tow anything really heavy anymore.

alterations I have made.
1. 10 ply tires
2. level kit for the front
3. Rear support bags. I tried the air bags, and didn't like the hassle. I am really happy with these.
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Chevrolet/Colorado/SuperSprings/SSR-210-40.html

Jimss

WKR
My Tundra gets similar gas mileage to several of my buddies Tacomas. I'd much rather have the extra room in the cab and bed of a full sized truck! It's tough to beat the dependability of a Toyota! You may spend a little more for one but you'll always get your money back if you end up selling it.

I have a 2018 Colorado with the mini duramax. totally love it. 26 MPG daily driving. freeway about 30. totally loaded going to ID to hunt got 27MPG. Comes with a full tow package including exhaust brake.

I downsized from a F350 crewcab 7.3. No regrets. I don't need to tow anything really heavy anymore.

alterations I have made.
1. 10 ply tires
3. Rear support bags. I tried the air bags, and didn't like the hassle. I am really happy with these.
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Chevrolet/Colorado/SuperSprings/SSR-210-40.html

I'd take this guy's recommendation over a 'yota any day. Unless you can fit into a Tacoma or don't mind hitting the gas station twice a week with a Tundra, you sure can't beat that diesel Colorado.

Steven C

FNG
I went the other way from a Tacoma to an F-150. I’m also 6’7” tall, so I was tired of stuffing myself in it. The truck was good, but I just couldn’t get all of 2 guys stuff in it and drive from California to Colorado or Idaho with coolers and camp in the back. I tried to buy a good used 2016 F-150 with a 5.0, but I priced a new 2018 with a 3.5 eco boost and an upgraded options package for only $25 more a month. Check with incentives and better financing with a new one. That was at the beginning of this year. You might be able to do the same thing with a 19 that hasn’t sold because the 20s are out. I love my truck. It has way more room and on the last out of state trip I got 22.9 mpg. I also got one with the 36 gallon fuel tank. I don’t do any serious off-roading, but it has a rear differential locker from the factory also. I just wanted to be more comfortable. I tow my dads 20’ ranger bass boat with no problems. My dad has a 2016 F-250 6.7 and gets around 16 mpg on the highway. After towing with and riding in mine for a while he’s getting a F-150 soon. All of the 1/2 tons drive like a car nowadays. Before the Tacoma I had a Dodge 2500 Megacab 6.7. I just couldn’t justify it any longer. I won’t be changing from a 1/2 ton anytime soon.

zacattack

WKR
I went from a 3/4 ton 7.3 l diesel, to a half ton, and this summer I bought a Tacoma. I don’t tow anything hardly and I’ve gone from a farm to the suburbs. I miss the diesel, but I sure do love my Tacoma so far. Great gas mileage, can get into some tight places and has enough room for the crap that I really need to take anywhere. Also, new half tons are insanely expensive, so I saved quite a bit of money which was another plus for me. I’ve spent a few nights sleeping in it this fall and even took a nap in the back seat (i’m 6’2”) and it wasn’t that bad. The Tacoma also fits in my garage with room to spare, full sizes not so much. I live in Michigan so this was a big deal.

Rear facing car seat is doable although it’s going to be a bit of a squeeze but they aren’t in those for too long. We tried that out while test driving.

Yeah gas mileage isn’t that much better but if you are stuck on gas mileage get a car.

After driving full sized trucks for over 20 years I have no regrets going to a smaller size.

OP
WyoBowhunter21

alterations I have made.
1. 10 ply tires

This is actually what I am looking at getting. How is the room in it? Room for a car seat?

Had a 74 GMC half ton, went to a samurai, then a 85 Nissan extra cab, then 86 bronco2, then 87 f150 shortbed, to a 2004 ram 2500 Cummins, and still driving it. Tried the smaller trucks to check them out and it's like there's no room in them. My dad has drove s10 since 1984 and now had a Colorado but he's 83, old folks don't like to change, he still drivers the 93 he bought when he retired in 99. Don't think my Dodge is going anywhere soon even though the plan is to get a new truck just before or at retirement. Hardly any manual trans trucks out there. Colorado zr2 is the most interesting.

rob86jeep

WKR
I went from a 3/4 ton 7.3 l diesel, to a half ton, and this summer I bought a Tacoma. I don’t tow anything hardly and I’ve gone from a farm to the suburbs. I miss the diesel, but I sure do love my Tacoma so far. Great gas mileage, can get into some tight places and has enough room for the crap that I really need to take anywhere. Also, new half tons are insanely expensive, so I saved quite a bit of money which was another plus for me. I’ve spent a few nights sleeping in it this fall and even took a nap in the back seat (i’m 6’2”) and it wasn’t that bad. The Tacoma also fits in my garage with room to spare, full sizes not so much. I live in Michigan so this was a big deal.

Rear facing car seat is doable although it’s going to be a bit of a squeeze but they aren’t in those for too long. We tried that out while test driving.

Yeah gas mileage isn’t that much better but if you are stuck on gas mileage get a car.

After driving full sized trucks for over 20 years I have no regrets going to a smaller size.
What's your idea of "great gas mileage" in your Tacoma? I like the trucks, but from everyone I know who ones one the gas mileage is equal or worse to a half ton (not including the Tundra which also sucks).