Truck Downsizing Question

SoDaky

WKR
Love Tundras.Had 3 but the mileage sucks.True mileage.If using in a real world mix of on/off rd and some 4wdriving,IMO no way anyone can average 14 unless with a tailwind,key off and going downhill.
Awaiting their hybrid otherwise next with be a Ram.

Nerhunter

FNG
Gas mileage is my last concern, reliability-space-comfy ride matter.
That’s like worrying about AZ elk preference points are to costly or returning that friggin Wyoming moose tag cause it’s $1250 darn dollars!! LMAO, buy a Tundra for weekends and a Japanese 4 cyl. For daily driver, 2005 CRV for me.

I was thinking of one of those Kodak canvas tents. I was worried they wouldn’t hold up to the Wyoming wind. Does it beat up or scratch the side of your truck?

I have slept in the truck tent with 70mph desert winds outside and it didn't flap at all. You just need to practice cinching it down evenly on all four sides. Nothing hard and nothing that will scratch your truck. Used mine in rain, snow, hail and triple digit temp heat, still looks new a decade later and because you erect it with the tailgate down, you have plenty of room to stretch out, even with a short bed. Rolls up into a small duffle.

Last edited:

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Went from a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 to a 2006 Chevy Duramax 2500. With a family and all gear, we just didn't have the room in the Nissan nor the ability to pull mountain grades with a utility trailer (with ATV) in tow. Both trucks bought new; I still have the Duramax. I have sticker shock every time I look at new trucks now. I can't bring myself to pay the luxury car prices of a new truck.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Went from a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 to a 2006 Chevy Duramax 2500. With a family and all gear, we just didn't have the room in the Nissan nor the ability to pull mountain grades with a utility trailer (with ATV) in tow. Bought trucks bought new. I still have the Duramax. I have sticker shock every time I look at new trucks now. I can't bring myself to pay the luxury car prices of a new truck.

Most trucks are luxury cars today.

So after driving a few, I agree the benefits of the full crewcab for use with carseats is definitely worth the extra cost. I have the opportunity at a really good deal on 2011 Tundra Crewmax Rock warrior with 115,000 miles for $15000. There are several 2009 to 2010 F150s with less miles (60-100k) for a similar price in my area. Sure the lariat v8s have issues with the cam phasers but most well maintained trucks are still getting over 150,000 before major engine work was needed. Is the Toyota that much more reliable that its worth taking the extra miles?

OP
WyoBowhunter21
So after driving a few, I agree the benefits of the full crewcab for use with carseats is definitely worth the extra cost. I have the opportunity at a really good deal on 2011 Tundra Crewmax Rock warrior with 115,000 miles for $15000. There are several 2009 to 2010 F150s with less miles (60-100k) for a similar price in my area. Sure the lariat v8s have issues with the cam phasers but most well maintained trucks are still getting over 150,000 before major engine work was needed. Is the Toyota that much more reliable that its worth taking the extra miles?

I think this is my biggest issue. I have never bought a used truck before. My wife’s car was the first with 27k miles. Gotta love Dave Ramsey. It’s hard to look at any vehicle
With more miles. So for me, I wouldn’t even be looking at those trucks which takes out a ton of trucks.