UT Muzzleoader elk options

I have 9 bonus points for elk in Utah as a resident. I was thinking Dutton would be a good unit to apply for but I'm open to other suggestions. I've never killed a bull and I'd like a good opportunity to kill something nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your not in the bonus point draw anywhere except Nebo , LaSalle, Wasatch maybe

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Your not in the bonus point draw anywhere except Nebo , LaSalle, Wasatch maybe

Last year it looks like the Dutton odds were better than Nebo. Am I wrong?

Wasatch looks decent as well and it wouldn't be as far of a trip so that's a plus.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No your wrong. Where to you live? Dutton had 10 tags Nebo 8 but Dutton took at least 13 points in bonus and 12 more people applied with more points than you and didn't draw so assuming they apply for Dutton again your out

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
9 people ahead of you last year on Nebo 5 drew so your in theory good to draw there. It does have private land issues but it's still a very high percentage hunt

OP
P
No your wrong. Where to you live? Dutton had 10 tags Nebo 8 but Dutton took at least 13 points in bonus and 12 more people applied with more points than you and didn't draw so assuming they apply for Dutton again your out

Ah I see. I live in Cache county. Would you say Dutton is a higher quality hunt than Nebo?

Straight6

FNG
What size of bull do you consider "something nice"? Wasatch and Manti both give you better odds than Dutton with 9 points for muzz., both have more elk as well. On average the quality on the Dutton is better than Nebo in my opinion. If your trying to kill a 320" type bull, I would look more to Manti or Wasatch. If you are set on a 350+, you have a ways to go with your points, or get lucky and pull a random tag. One other option for you since you live in Cache County is South Cache muzz., 9 points has got you in the bonus pool the past 2 years. Easier to scout when its close to home and can kick out some nice bulls. It all depends on what kind of hunt you are looking for.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nebo and Dutton both are managed for 6.5/7 year old bulls, herd objective is within 100 elk of each other. Dutton is surrounded by great units but is pretty small physically. Nebo has some excellent private properties within its boundries allowing for some great bulls to roam. Last year they really focused on reducing predators to increase deer herd numbers going to make the elk excell to. I would also argue that there are great bulls in every unit in Utah. I wouldn't cash in any points without some unit knowledge before hand.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
South cache is also managed for 6.5/7 age class bulls. This unit makes the most logical sense because it's closest

OP
P
I was thinking South cache as well, but the success rates don't seem as high as other units but I'd have plenty of scouting opportunity. Is a 330+ bull too much to ask for on the South Cache unit?

trdhunter

WKR
I'm not real familiar with south cache, but manti and wasatch would be high on my list with decent odds. If just between dutton and cache, I would choose cache for you based on scouting opportunities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not just going to show up and kill a great bull on the manti, nebo, snatch etc.
If it were me I would do the south cache and hit the scouting hard. You could buy a handful of camera's with the gas money you'll save by staying close and spent more time in the unit.
If you do south cache I could probably help you scout.

OP
P
You're not just going to show up and kill a great bull on the manti, nebo, snatch etc.
If it were me I would do the south cache and hit the scouting hard. You could buy a handful of camera's with the gas money you'll save by staying close and spent more time in the unit.
If you do south cache I could probably help you scout.
Thanks! I'd definitely welcome any help scouting. I hunt the unit somewhat regularly for deer as it's practically my back yard but I'm just not too familiar with elk and their habits in general. I also have a bunch of trail cams I plan on setting up as well.