Vivo forest tracker esc durability

BBob

WKR
Seeing @dailyherold's post reminded me that the Tracker Winter SGs have this built in ... has anyone tried them yet?

View attachment 667684
Nope but it looks like they addressed multiple things on this version. A glued on sole like many other manufacturers. A protective rand. Cushioning at the lace eyelets and up around the ankle collar.

I took on the Jim Green’s so someone else’s turn to test these :)

OP
H
Giving the KG bootguard a go today. First started with sanding leather, then cement glued over the outsole-to-leather boundary. Went down as far as the stitch line hoping it'll act as an adhesive primer for the bootguard liquid. Will post again after first coat of bootguard and then a second.
The rubber cement primer idea is a good one. I hope it works well!

OP
H
Nope but it looks like they addressed multiple things on this version. A glued on sole like many other manufacturers. A protective rand. Cushioning at the lace eyelets and up around the ankle collar.

I took on the Jim Green’s so someone else’s turn to test these :)
Glued on sole? Aren't the soles of the trackers also glued on? And the first version of the forest tracker escs were only glued on?

1st coat of bootguard on. No indication of it'll hold over the rubber cement just yet, but applied pretty well. Will do a 2nd coat tonight.

Attachments

• PXL_20240203_205749551.jpg
    PXL_20240203_205749551.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20240203_205807141.jpg
    PXL_20240203_205807141.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20240203_210010883.jpg
    PXL_20240203_210010883.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 66

BBob

WKR
Glued on sole? Aren't the soles of the trackers also glued on? And the first version of the forest tracker escs were only glued on?
I meant a more substantial glued on sole more like Lowa and many others have used for years. Looking at it closer it’s not much different than what we already have on the Magna and Tracker without the stitching. Carry on :)

OP
H
I meant a more substantial glued on sole more like Lowa and many others have used for years. Looking at it closer it’s not much different than what we already have on the Magna and Tracker without the stitching. Carry on :)
Keep us updated on the water resistance, traction, and durability of those Jim greens. If they're good, I may have to sell a kidney so I can get some

Alrighty, final update until I wear these hunting next weekend (desert) then snow shoeing end of the month in CO. First coat seemed to cure well on all surfaces I covered, but you can see in the pic that the grit and overall thickness was uneven on the leather, hence recommendation for two coats:
1000000280.jpg

It was definitely easier to lay the second coat on top, felt like the liquid wanted to stay on its previous coat. Went over it all and felt like I got a good even coating to now cure until I walk around in them tomorrow or Monday.

1000000281.jpg

Prior to trip I'll also warm them up a bit and put some Montana Pitch Blend on the exposed leather for conditioning and waterproofing. Did this last year for snow shoeing and feet honestly felt great with gaiters.

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_030245424.jpg
    PXL_20240204_030245424.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20240204_025456339.jpg
    PXL_20240204_025456339.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 40
Finished all 21 pages of this, and now I have a couple pairs of Tracker ESC on the way, haha. I've been using Primus Trail Knits as my gym shoes for a while, and had a pair of Magna Trails (loved them, but the sole came unglued in a spot, so figured I'd upgrade.) I snagged the Tracker ESC on Revivo, excited to give them a try.

Also following the Boot Guard applications closely. I think the lack of a waterproof membrane has me a little cautious, but I figure I can always just wear my Crispis if needed.

OP
H
Alrighty, final update until I wear these hunting next weekend (desert) then snow shoeing end of the month in CO. First coat seemed to cure well on all surfaces I covered, but you can see in the pic that the grit and overall thickness was uneven on the leather, hence recommendation for two coats:
View attachment 667995

It was definitely easier to lay the second coat on top, felt like the liquid wanted to stay on its previous coat. Went over it all and felt like I got a good even coating to now cure until I walk around in them tomorrow or Monday.

View attachment 667998

Prior to trip I'll also warm them up a bit and put some Montana Pitch Blend on the exposed leather for conditioning and waterproofing. Did this last year for snow shoeing and feet honestly felt great with gaiters.

Any updates, or much use on these since the boat guard application?

Any updates, or much use on these since the boat guard application?
Indeed! I didn't hold back on my West TX trip and they held up great. If you've been in the area, everything is sharp, spiked, and jagged. Feel like I really tested the overall boot and the bootguard. Just washed them up before a Montana Pitch Blend application to prep for non-hunting Colorado trip over the next week, which will include snow shoeing. Will give another update after.

In the pics, you will see only one minor chip in the coating, I had to really search for any sign of weakness. Even the flex points are fully intact. Below the bootguard line you'll see what looks like peeling but that was below my target line so it was only super thin rubber cement and didn't get bootguard over top. Also notice the leather abrasions that look like they start right after bootguard. Those are cases where the bootguard really protected the toe or side areas, and in general the coating looks unphased.

My main goal was to cover the seam between upper and outsole and I'm extremely happy with results. Might continue the application around the heel where the heel counter hits outsole as well. Heck might drop the coverage line down to cover the stitching as well. Overall, highly recommended approach to others.

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_144413297.jpg
    PXL_20240220_144413297.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20240220_144441166.jpg
    PXL_20240220_144441166.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240220_144534006.jpg
    PXL_20240220_144534006.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240220_144556691.jpg
    PXL_20240220_144556691.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240220_144626603.jpg
    PXL_20240220_144626603.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
H
Indeed! I didn't hold back on my West TX trip and they held up great. If you've been in the area, everything is sharp, spiked, and jagged. Feel like I really tested the overall boot and the bootguard. Just washed them up before a Montana Pitch Blend application to prep for non-hunting Colorado trip over the next week, which will include snow shoeing. Will give another update after.

In the pics, you will see only one minor chip in the coating, I had to really search for any sign of weakness. Even the flex points are fully intact. Below the bootguard line you'll see what looks like peeling but that was below my target line so it was only super thin rubber cement and didn't get bootguard over top. Also notice the leather abrasions that look like they start right after bootguard. Those are cases where the bootguard really protected the toe or side areas, and in general the coating looks unphased.

My main goal was to cover the seam between upper and outsole and I'm extremely happy with results. Might continue the application around the heel where the heel counter hits outsole as well. Heck might drop the coverage line down to cover the stitching as well. Overall, highly recommended approach to others.

Awesome. If that holds up, I may have to consider getting more trackers when mine are done.

My weak points for water ingress are the leather to outsole bond, that you've sealed, and I think very likely the stitching. If I seal mine up, I'll have to hit the stitching as well.

What type of rubber cement did you use as a "primer"?

BBob

WKR
What type of rubber cement did you use as a "primer"?
Barge’s. That’s what the cobblers use for repair and resole. See his post below.

Drenalin

WKR
I'm strongly considering moving to minimalist footwear. Anyone with wide feet have any issues getting correct fit with these boots? My feet aren't obscenely wide, just a standard E or W, depending on brand. Standard width and standard style shoes/boots absolutely do not work for me. I understand these have a wider toe box for toes to splay, is it generally enough even for wide feet?

I'm strongly considering moving to minimalist footwear. Anyone with wide feet have any issues getting correct fit with these boots? My feet aren't obscenely wide, just a standard E or W, depending on brand. Standard width and standard style shoes/boots absolutely do not work for me. I understand these have a wider toe box for toes to splay, is it generally enough even for wide feet?
Probably depends just how wide your feet are. I think Vivos are on the narrower spectrum of the barefoot world. But still much wider than normal shoes. My forefoot is about 4.5" across at the widest point, and my Vivos feel wide enough. If my feet were a lot wider, they may not. But a lot of their materials have some give, so probably depends on what feels best on your feet.

Question for you guys who've been wearing these for a while, or anyone who is between sizes. I'm right between an 11 and 12 US (44 or 45 EU) and have the Vivo Primus Trail Knits in 12. They feel good. I got my Tracker ESC in, in both 11 and 12. Spent a handful of miles in the size 12, and they fit noticeably larger than the Trail Knits (which I expected and wanted.) Almost to the point where the fit feels a little sloppy, unless I wrench the laces down, which I don't typically do. The size 11 feel good with thinner socks, but with thicker socks, are more snug. Not uncomfortable, but snug.

Which would you keep? I'm leaning toward the bigger pair, in case I need to go with liners + socks. That said, I'm not planning on a lot of winter usage for these, so may not need super thick socks much. That, and I scored the size 11's for $140 on Revivo, so I wouldn't mind saving $100 if those worked out, ha.

Drenalin

WKR
Probably depends just how wide your feet are. I think Vivos are on the narrower spectrum of the barefoot world. But still much wider than normal shoes. My forefoot is about 4.5" across at the widest point, and my Vivos feel wide enough. If my feet were a lot wider, they may not. But a lot of their materials have some give, so probably depends on what feels best on your feet.
I’m 4-5/8 across, sounds like they should work for me. Thanks!

Braaap

WKR
Question for you guys who've been wearing these for a while, or anyone who is between sizes. I'm right between an 11 and 12 US (44 or 45 EU) and have the Vivo Primus Trail Knits in 12. They feel good. I got my Tracker ESC in, in both 11 and 12. Spent a handful of miles in the size 12, and they fit noticeably larger than the Trail Knits (which I expected and wanted.) Almost to the point where the fit feels a little sloppy, unless I wrench the laces down, which I don't typically do. The size 11 feel good with thinner socks, but with thicker socks, are more snug. Not uncomfortable, but snug.

Which would you keep? I'm leaning toward the bigger pair, in case I need to go with liners + socks. That said, I'm not planning on a lot of winter usage for these, so may not need super thick socks much. That, and I scored the size 11's for $140 on Revivo, so I wouldn't mind saving $100 if those worked out, ha.
I would vote for the bigger pair. Mine are a pretty loose fit and I like it. I can wear them with one pair of socks medium weight socks or a liner plus heavier socks in winter. Works for me.