Water Filtration- What do you prefer?

I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter with Aqua Mira drops for a back up. If I expect freezing temps I'll put them in the foot of my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
Platypus, but like above the filter is inside my insulation layer or the bag at night when freezing temps.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Steripen on Ebay for $20 new. It is the Classic 3, I couldnt pass it up for the money. I was thinking maybe going with a Sawyer with 2 bladders for a gravity feed, then have the steripen as a back up or easy way to get water with nalgene while hunting/hiking. Thoughts? Never used either.

Aqua Mira drops (not tabs), $11 from Amazon, nothing to break or freeze, no taste, not recommended if getting water from a elk wallow but still will work

KDF

FNG
I like the aquamira drops. Nothing to break or freeze. The only downside is having to wait 20 to 35 minutes (depending on temps)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
I did the sawyer setup and it worked pretty decent. i had mine inline with my bladder though while hiking, and i didnt care for that. next year ill be using a steripen classic and sawyer for camp water. i also picked up a new steripen for 20 bucks online. and living in colorado, the water is rarely muddy unless it pours rain of course. next year ill have a 6 liter bladder just for camp, and use that for cooking and everything with the sawyer because of how easy it is. and ill carry enough tablets to do 6 liters of water in case of emergency. unnecessary but im doing it.

If you can get reasonably clean water that doesn't need to be filtered to get gunk and junk out of it, I went steripen this year and fell in love. For my early season hunting where I am packing in I always have pretty clean water in creeks and streams, so it works perfect. Great for summer fishing trips and hiking trips as well. Way less to fiddle with compared to filters - my opinion of course.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I did the sawyer setup and it worked pretty decent. i had mine inline with my bladder though while hiking, and i didnt care for that. next year ill be using a steripen classic and sawyer for camp water. i also picked up a new steripen for 20 bucks online. and living in colorado, the water is rarely muddy unless it pours rain of course. next year ill have a 6 liter bladder just for camp, and use that for cooking and everything with the sawyer because of how easy it is. and ill carry enough tablets to do 6 liters of water in case of emergency. unnecessary but im doing it.
What is your sawyer setup made of? Which filter, bladder length of line?

AdamW

WKR
Sawyer Squeeze will pills or drops as a backup. Filter stays in coat pocket during day and in foot of sleeping bag at night.

I've used both a Katadyn Hiker Pro and the Sawyer. This year I used Sawyer exclusively and it worked great. I used a separate MSR Dromedary bag for dirty water, and made my own inline system. It's great for camp as you can hang it in a nearby tree, or you can fill up your bottles and take the empty system with you incase you need more water. It might be slightly heavier than the Katadyn, but the speed is the same and it takes much less effort. Plus, you've got up to 6 liters you can take with you if you want.... that's in addition to the 3L bladder and any bottles I might have. If you're camped far from water, it's nice to be able to bring a ton back and not worry about it for a few days.

For freezing temps, I put everything in a stuff sack and sleep with it underneath me. Not perfect, but does ok.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
Steripen guys, how are you carrying water? Are carrying dirty water in bladder and refilling/retreating nalgene between water sources?

I use the chlorine-dioxide tabs for the three liter platypus and a StariPen when refilling the Nalgene when on the go.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends. I like the Sawyer squeeze but not the mini. I have seen the mini clog to quickly to be of much use. Platy is a nice setup. If speed , crappy water, and freezing are of concern then i really like the Rapid Pure with the bag and big filter it is only 13 ounces. Drops / tabs are good as well. It all depends on where / when etc.

Sawyer Squeeze for me as well. I've been using it now for the last two season and it has worked great, zero problems. Super light, cheap, and filters water pretty quickly.