What to expect in WY region Y

Hello Roksliders, I found this site while researching backpack hunting gear as I'm hoping to draw a Gen tag for region Y this fall. I'm from Ohio and after an 8 year hiatus from hunting in general my uncle talked me into going out west with him this year. He's pushing 60 and feels like it's now or never. I have a buddy who lives in the Sheridan area who agreed to act as a resident guide if we decide to head into the Bighorns but the region is really long N to S and I imagine there will be a significant difference in habitat as well as deer numbers throughout the region. I've got a ton of questions, too many to post at once so to start, what can one expect from this region? Is it possible to hike away from hunting pressure and find a decent animal anywhere in the region? Is the hunting better in the north or south? Thanks for any response.

lvlasak

FNG
Hello Roksliders, I found this site while researching backpack hunting gear as I'm hoping to draw a Gen tag for region Y this fall. I'm from Ohio and after an 8 year hiatus from hunting in general my uncle talked me into going out west with him this year. He's pushing 60 and feels like it's now or never. I have a buddy who lives in the Sheridan area who agreed to act as a resident guide if we decide to head into the Bighorns but the region is really long N to S and I imagine there will be a significant difference in habitat as well as deer numbers throughout the region. I've got a ton of questions, too many to post at once so to start, what can one expect from this region? Is it possible to hike away from hunting pressure and find a decent animal anywhere in the region? Is the hunting better in the north or south? Thanks for any response.
How did your 2019 Region Y hunt end up? I am planning a Region Y hunt this Oct.

OP
I
We didn't tag out. Saw very few deer and almost no bucks, even nonshooters. I did have a brief opportunity to tag out my next to last day but by the time I deterermined he was a shooter he decided to jump over the ridge. Had never been in the area before so to have learned something about the area and to have had atleast a fleeting chance to fill my tag on a respectable deer were good takeaways.

lvlasak

FNG
We didn't tag out. Saw very few deer and almost no bucks, even nonshooters. I did have a brief opportunity to tag out my next to last day but by the time I deterermined he was a shooter he decided to jump over the ridge. Had never been in the area before so to have learned something about the area and to have had atleast a fleeting chance to fill my tag on a respectable deer were good takeaways.
Thanks for the response. What hunt areas did you end up spending most of your time? As of now, we plan on trying 28 and 25.

Thanks again

OP
I
163. A friend had hunted cow elk in there before and felt it was a decent area for deer. They're in there I'm sure but you have to dig for them. I'd hunt y again if I had more time to dig. Liked the area, fairly easy hunting even for a southern Ohio guy.

I was in Y north to south this year for nearly 2 weeks and only saw 3 or 4 decent bucks, only 2 of which were on public. Other than that lots and lots of does and spikes. Needless to say I was very disappointed with the amount of miles we put on our feet, side x side, and truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
I
Maybe slow down or look up next time 😉 Just kidding. I saw a couple decent ones come out of there but those guys were known for hunting that particular area for many years. Clearly knew where to find the good ones.

163. A friend had hunted cow elk in there before and felt it was a decent area for deer. They're in there I'm sure but you have to dig for them. I'd hunt y again if I had more time to dig. Liked the area, fairly easy hunting even for a southern Ohio guy.

A couple buddies and I just applied for mule deer in gen Y. This will be our first trip out west and a complete change from the Michigan hunting we're used to. If we draw we were thinking of checking out 163 down towards the border of 35. Were you in that area at all? I dont mean to ask for specifics, just looking for some starting point to get our research going. Wont be able to do any scouting on the ground prior to our trip so just trying to learn as much as I can before hand. I spoke to the wildlife biologist there and she mentioned the Ed O Taylor area.

Appreciate any and all insights!!

These bucks are from that general area - this was I think 2 years ago opening day in the afternoon. There are some pretty good bucks in there but you really need to hunt hard to find them. Most I see taken are small 3x3's or forks. Fun area though but know you will not be alone:)
413613848.jpg

413613847.jpg

These bucks are from that general area - this was I think 2 years ago opening day in the afternoon. There are some pretty good bucks in there but you really need to hunt hard to find them. Most I see taken are small 3x3's or forks. Fun area though but know you will not be alone:)
413613848.jpg

413613847.jpg
That's a pretty nice buck!

I'm as green as it comes on western hunting so excuse this question if it's ridiculous - does the fence line always indicate private vs public or can there be fences on public land?

There are fences all over the western states. Yes some are private but also lots of range fences to keep cows on one side or the other even on public. You see them in the national forest or out in the sage. You need to have your gps with the chip in it to make sure you know where you are so as not to cross the "wrong" fence:)

It isnt hard to find a place to hunt deer in Y. See road hunters everywhere but not a whole lot of hikers. I would get on the National Forest/BLM boundaries and hike a lot. Kill a nice one. My problem is deciding whether or not I should save my points for a chance in H or G

It isnt hard to find a place to hunt deer in Y. See road hunters everywhere but not a whole lot of hikers. I would get on the National Forest/BLM boundaries and hike a lot. Kill a nice one. My problem is deciding whether or not I should save my points for a chance in H or G

Thanks, Southfork. That is our plan right now to try and get away from the crowds. How far is "far enough" away from the road hunters? We were thinking of at least a few mile hike in but when I'm looking at OnX maps in area 163 we'd never be any more than a mile from a road. Guess there's another question - are the 2 tracks you can see on the satellite images considered roads?

Thanks for the help and input!

Hard to say on the roads. I shot this one in 163 as they moved off private land into BLM only .3 miles from roads

Attachments

• 20171018_113924.jpg
    20171018_113924.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 149
Is 163 still only a week long or Did they change that?

Only a week from 10/15 to 10/21.

Any thoughts on this? Everything is new to me so I have a ton of questions. On my list of research items is where the deer typically are (elevation wise) during this time and at what stage of the rut (if any) they'll be in.

Last edited: