Which rifle should I take on my Alaskan moose hunt in September?

Mirxivus

FNG
First off, I'd look at my bullet selection again. I also like the ELDM....for predators or small ungulates. "M" is the key......it's a match bullet designed for shooting targets....which it does very well. The M simply is not designed for breaking down a very large animal ......and I've heard all the stories about success with Ms and VLDs but if I were spending the $$$ for an Alaskan moose hunt, [which I've done for nearly five decades], I would want to be able to penetrate deep and break bones.

There are several great premium bullets out there starting with NPs, TTSX, Trophy bonded etc.

Of the rifles you listed, I guess I'd go with the 308 as the weight is favorable and the scope desirable for the purpose.

I have no idea where or how you're hunting but I wish you the best of luck.
Do you have a preferred scope magnification range for moose specifically?

OP
PredatorSlayer
Si mi duele la cabaza
the OP changed gun caliber from 6.5cm and a .308 pistol, shooting match bullets on moose and bear in Alaska
now has sold those for a 280ai
let’s see where this ends
I have the 280ai in hand and am rolling with berger 168gr bullets cruising at close to 3000 fps. Still trying to decide on optic. NF says my 2.5-10 NXS won’t ship until October…so not sure what to do there.

House21

FNG
after seeing tons of moose, elk, deer, bear and caribou shot, I was one of those guys who always shot either a bonded or mono bullet. A few years ago I watched a buddy shoot his bull elk with a 147gr eldm at right around 150 yards and that bull didn’t take a step. It’s all he hunts with although now it’s a 6.5 prc and I’ve watched him shoot elk and big moose in Alberta with it. I bought a 300 prc and shooting 225gr eldm I’ve taken a bull elk and cow moose with that load and I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a big Alaskan bull or a grizz with that combo. Trust me it was hard to sway me but the results speak for themselves.

z987k

WKR
The #1 round that kills the most moose in Alaska every single year is the 243win. Usually with whatever is cheapest. Cor-lokt or something similar, maybe round nose, but likely soft point, cheap as possible ammo without being FMJ. Probably some FMJ to.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not denying it, but where do those statistics come from? I grew up and live in interior Alaska and in all my life I personally know only one that shot a moose with a 243, and it was a cow shot on a youth hunt. From my experience I have heard of more moose taken with 30-06, and next by 300wm more than anything else.

z987k

WKR
I'm not denying it, but where do those statistics come from? I grew up and live in interior Alaska and in all my life I personally know only one that shot a moose with a 243, and it was a cow shot on a youth hunt. From my experience I have heard of more moose taken with 30-06, and next by 300wm more than anything else.
From the villages.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know how that can be verified, but from my experience shooting a half dozen moose, and present when several others were taken by friends, I wouldn't go any less than a 270, and even that cartridge may be not enough gun in certain situations. I've heard that banter that "I know a guy that shot one with mighty mite xyz" and I'm sure it can and has been done, but when you want a quick clean kill and minimize the possibility of your moose running into a swamp to expire, I would recommend the 30 calibers and upwards.
If I was backing up my wife and she had a 6.5cm with 140 partitions, I would be fine with that. I watched one shot last year with a 7-08 at 200+ yds as I was present with a bigger gun.
Then again, shot placement is key, but couple that with a well built bullet and appropriate caliber to get the job done.
I was part of a hunt years ago and watched a yo-yo from out of state shoot a 50+ incher with his 300rum, hit it in the hump and dropped it. He ran up to celebrate and said moose not only got to its feet but was determined to make him a permanent fixture in the tundra. As it charged him he fumbled for his rifle, stumbled over backwards and got one shot from the hip hitting the moose in the nose and turning it away. What ensued next was a firefight the likes of a military conflict that has been part of many campfire stories since.
Lots of good info here from guys way more experienced than I, but I think we are all on the same page more or less.
For the most part moose aren't hard to kill, but I wouldn't want to be the exception to that with a marginal hit using a marginal caliber shooting a marginal bullet. You can be sure those stories never make it on the internet bragging boards.

z987k

WKR
I don't know how that can be verified, but from my experience shooting a half dozen moose, and present when several others were taken by friends, I wouldn't go any less than a 270, and even that cartridge may be not enough gun in certain situations. I've heard that banter that "I know a guy that shot one with mighty mite xyz" and I'm sure it can and has been done, but when you want a quick clean kill and minimize the possibility of your moose running into a swamp to expire, I would recommend the 30 calibers and upwards.
If I was backing up my wife and she had a 6.5cm with 140 partitions, I would be fine with that. I watched one shot last year with a 7-08 at 200+ yds as I was present with a bigger gun.
Then again, shot placement is key, but couple that with a well built bullet and appropriate caliber to get the job done.
I was part of a hunt years ago and watched a yo-yo from out of state shoot a 50+ incher with his 300rum, hit it in the hump and dropped it. He ran up to celebrate and said moose not only got to its feet but was determined to make him a permanent fixture in the tundra. As it charged him he fumbled for his rifle, stumbled over backwards and got one shot from the hip hitting the moose in the nose and turning it away. What ensued next was a firefight the likes of a military conflict that has been part of many campfire stories since.
Lots of good info here from guys way more experienced than I, but I think we are all on the same page more or less.
For the most part moose aren't hard to kill, but I wouldn't want to be the exception to that with a marginal hit using a marginal caliber shooting a marginal bullet. You can be sure those stories never make it on the internet bragging boards.
I used to work in a bunch of villages. Spend about half the year total. 243 is pretty popular, as are head shots at 50 or less yards. I've been asked before why we waste so much by shooting them in the vitals. Heart shots are very frowned upon, and I've come to agree. I hate wasting the heart.
It's a lot different when you don't go "hunting" and you just keep a rifle by your side every single day while going about any number of other things all season. You come upon moose all the time. And if you're a federally qualified subsistence user, there's a lot more legal moose.
223 has got to be the number one caribou round, because in the winter season, they ride the sno-gos out to the nearby wintering heard and kill 5 in quick succession with an AR.
Tagging along on a few of those outings and you do start to chuckle when you see the 338 ultra magnums suggested when so much less works.
I wouldn't hunt with a 243 because I don't have the access they do, my point is just that the magnums are just entirely unnecessary unless you're one of the guys that likes to shoot animals out past 500 yards.

Shot placement and bullet construction trump amount of powder burned every day. I find with most hunters, who, let's be honest, aren't out there at the range every weekend taming that RUM, have a direct relationship between powder burned and bad shots.

OP
PredatorSlayer
marginal hit using a marginal caliber shooting a marginal bullet.
Like the 300 rum example you used? Large cartridges don’t compensate for piss poor marksmanship. I don’t think cartridge and caliber matter that much. I think bullet selection and shot placement are king once we are talking centerfire cartridges.

I’m curious why you asked the question? You argue with every person giving you the correct answer. Those are all bad choices for Alaska moose. Even the 308 is a glorified pistol. If I were forced to use those I’d get a good bullet for the PRC, not any of the ELD.
Grew up shooting northern Alberta moose with 30-30, can’t remember losing one. Shoot what you shoot well and only take shots that are high percentage

roymunson

WKR
Grew up shooting northern Alberta moose with 30-30, can’t remember losing one. Shoot what you shoot well and only take shots that are high percentage
I agree with the above sentiment. HOWEVER, for a guy like me, a flatlander from Eastern Ohio who may not get to hunt moose ever again, or at the very least it'll be a while, I'm going to take a gun that is not marginal. I may drill him in both lungs if at all possible. But I have no idea why my nerves will do during the moment of truth, and if I'm back or off of where I should be, I'd like a gun that'll help me out some. I can control that.

I'd take the same tact if hunting elk or mule deer out west. But if I'm in the middle of a long whitetail season, I'm more likely to take an easy to pack, light, "marginal" gun because if offered a borderline shot, I can afford to pass. I'll be back at it later. Not so on these wilderness hunts.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I am taking the 280 AI with a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50. I am shooting Unknown Munnitions 168gr berger ammo. First ten through the gun weren’t amazing - it shot 1-1/4” groups, but that will be fine for moose. In my experience christensens tighten up significantly after 40-50 rounds and I’ll play around with ammo.

4A2FA476-A50E-4CAF-92D0-32C174F2E617.jpeg

z987k

WKR
I agree with the above sentiment. HOWEVER, for a guy like me, a flatlander from Eastern Ohio who may not get to hunt moose ever again, or at the very least it'll be a while, I'm going to take a gun that is not marginal. I may drill him in both lungs if at all possible. But I have no idea why my nerves will do during the moment of truth, and if I'm back or off of where I should be, I'd like a gun that'll help me out some. I can control that.

I'd take the same tact if hunting elk or mule deer out west. But if I'm in the middle of a long whitetail season, I'm more likely to take an easy to pack, light, "marginal" gun because if offered a borderline shot, I can afford to pass. I'll be back at it later. Not so on these wilderness hunts.
You shouldn't be taking marginal shots because it costs more to be there. It doesn't matter how much horsepower you bring if you're taking crap shots. A moose isn't going to go down if you shoot it in the ass. You have to actually put bullets where they need to go, and if you do, it hardly matters how big they are.

roymunson

WKR
You shouldn't be taking marginal shots because it costs more to be there. It doesn't matter how much horsepower you bring if you're taking crap shots. A moose isn't going to go down if you shoot it in the ass. You have to actually put bullets where they need to go, and if you do, it hardly matters how big they are.
completely understood. But if you think the guy hunting moose as a local after work wouldn't hunt differently if he had to travel halfway around the world to do it, you're wrong. Also, misses happen. Misses of the "ideal" spot you were aiming for. wouldn't it be nice to know if you do screw up that the gun could compensate and give you an extra, say, 10% efficacy? Especially if you can handle the gun?

OP
PredatorSlayer
10% efficacy
I think the problem is these are arbitrary numbers. I think bullet selection is still more important than caliber or cartridge. Lets say you are talking about accidently gut shooting an animal - I would rather have a 223 with a 77gr TMK or eldm than I would a 338 with a 225gr Accubond or mono. I want a large, devastating wound channel.

roymunson

WKR
I think the problem is these are arbitrary numbers. I think bullet selection is still more important than caliber or cartridge. Lets say you are talking about accidently gut shooting an animal - I would rather have a 223 with a 77gr TMK or eldm than I would a 338 with a 225gr Accubond or mono. I want a large, devastating wound channel.
And yet you aren't taking a 223 to alaska chasing a moose. You've upped your gun pretty significantly since the start of this thread. If you really believed what you said, you'd have stuck with one of your earlier guns.

There's more than 1 way to get it done. But if I jerk a shot, I know I'd rather have a 225 accubond running thru the guts of a giant moose than I would a 77 grain TMK.

but its way more fun to be argumentative and stir chit... eh?

OP
PredatorSlayer
And yet you aren't taking a 223 to alaska chasing a moose. You've upped your gun pretty significantly since the start of this thread. If you really believed what you said, you'd have stuck with one of your earlier guns.

There's more than 1 way to get it done. But if I jerk a shot, I know I'd rather have a 225 accubond running thru the guts of a giant moose than I would a 77 grain TMK.

but its way more fun to be argumentative and stir chit... eh?
I don’t really feel like a 280AI is an upgrade to a 6.5 prc or 6.5 creedmoor or 308. I don’t even know if my ridgeline fft is an upgrade over the Seekins or MPP. They are all shooting close to the same weight bullet. 280 AI has been on my bucket list for a while. Debated long and hard between that and the 6.5 PRC a few years ago. Excuse to scratch an itch I suppose. If my 223 had a faster twist barrel and could shoot the 77 tmks, it would have been on the list. Let me rephrase, I would take my 6mm CM shooting 108gr eldms or my 6.5 prc with 147 eldms or a 280AI shooting 168 bergers over a 338 shooting 225gr accubonds for a gut shot animal.